2019 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admission Results

veldter

12 hours ago, Keephope said:

Congrats that’s so exciting! Are you going to be interviewing February 7 - 9? I hope I see you there! ?

11 hours ago, yash13177 said:

Yes that's exactly it!!! Wahoo!! Congrats fellow applicant! :) Feel free to PM me if you wanna be interview buds~

Yay! See you guys there! 

(Also, side note, slowly decomposing over here because I know one person has received an acceptance from an interview I went to last week and I have yet to receive anything. I can't help but think that's a bad sign.... UGH any moral support people could lend would be lovely) 

7 minutes ago, nexttosomewhatnormal said:

Yay! See you guys there! 

(Also, side note, slowly decomposing over here because I know one person has received an acceptance from an interview I went to last week and I have yet to receive anything. I can't help but think that's a bad sign.... UGH any moral support people could lend would be lovely) 

Yay! See you there!! :) 

I’m not exactly sure how the final decisions process works, but do you know whether that person heard from a Person of interest or a different program representative? If it’s from a person of interest then yours might just have not gotten around to it yet, but either way there’s a good chance that the acceptances were not sent out all at once! I’m sure you still have a great chance for that program! And you still have a fantastic chance of getting into another amazing school this cycle too :) 

4 minutes ago, Pink Freud said:

Hey! I'm still waiting to hear back from UCLA, Harvard, UTSW, Drexel, and Boston (GPN). Has anyone heard from them yet? 

Haven’t seen anything from UCLA. Don’t know about UTSW or Drexel. Harvard was done mid-December. Boston should be emailing interviews next week (someone internal told me)

Edited by HawaiiLee808

1 minute ago, HawaiiLee808 said:

Haven’t seen anything from UCLA. Don’t know about UTSW or Drexel. Harvard was done mid-December. Boston should be emailing interviews next week (someone internal told me)

Ugh, this waiting is the worst! I emailed all of the programs last week (except for boston) and they said my application is still under review... I wonder what that means in the case of Harvard then? 

13 minutes ago, Pink Freud said:

Ugh, this waiting is the worst! I emailed all of the programs last week (except for boston) and they said my application is still under review... I wonder what that means in the case of Harvard then? 

I know people that are in Harvard’s PiN and, fairly assuredly, they send out invitations all on one day and their incoming cohort is a subset of those individuals. When they say you’re still under review, I think that’s just them being polite. A lot of programs don’t send out rejections until acceptances are mailed out.

2 hours ago, Pink Freud said:

Hey! I'm still waiting to hear back from UCLA, Harvard, UTSW, Drexel, and Boston (GPN). Has anyone heard from them yet? 

I received my interview invitation from the UCLA NSIDP on December 20th, 2018. They requested confirmation of my attendance no later than January 2nd, 2019, so I imagine they probably are not sending out any more invitations. :(

Hey just a friendly tip for anyone who didn't know: as a former Bostonian, nobody calls it "Boston," it's always just BU. If it's ambiguous with another BU then I guess you would spell it out (I think someone called Baylor BU before?), but the more likely ambiguity is with Boston College or BC, so the "U" is important.

Edit: and I also wish they would hurry up! It's good to have some insider information though ?

Edited by blarn_4349

3 hours ago, Pink Freud said:

If you didn't attend Harvard interview 1/17-1/20 that's probably a rejection. Sorry about that!

21 hours ago, Emily2715 said:

Are NYU and einstein still sending invites?

Not sure about NYU as I didn't apply there, but I just checked Einstein's website and it looks like they have PhD interview days Jan 31 and Feb 14. I'd say if you haven't heard from them yet, the Jan 31 is highly unlikely, but you could still be invited for the Feb 14 date! It's not over yet! 

On 1/25/2019 at 10:49 AM, Keephope said:

Yay! See you there!! :) 

I’m not exactly sure how the final decisions process works, but do you know whether that person heard from a Person of interest or a different program representative? If it’s from a person of interest then yours might just have not gotten around to it yet, but either way there’s a good chance that the acceptances were not sent out all at once! I’m sure you still have a great chance for that program! And you still have a fantastic chance of getting into another amazing school this cycle too :) 

So she got an unofficial email from at least one PI responding to her thank you note after the interview telling her she got in, then around midnight she got an official letter from someone else, apparently. My advisor told me not to worry about it too much as they might just still be working out funding or a fellowship or something, but that's pretty much impossible advice to follow because I'm definitely still worrying about it lol. Thank you so much; you're so kind! Hopefully it all works out! 

Hey! I have my first interview coming up soon and I just went and got some clothes to wear. I wear leggings and hoodies on a regular basis so business casual is not my forte. Berkeley specified in their email "As a rule, clothing is casual on campus, and you are encouraged to wear anything you are
comfortable with while meeting graduate students and faculty." so I got a nice pair of slacks and some nice wool sweaters and blouses. Im wondering if it is common to wear blazers as well? I got one in case but I don't want to overdress. Anyone have any insight on this? Thanks! 

Edited by _kb

4 hours ago, nexttosomewhatnormal said:

Not sure about NYU as I didn't apply there, but I just checked Einstein's website and it looks like they have PhD interview days Jan 31 and Feb 14. I'd say if you haven't heard from them yet, the Jan 31 is highly unlikely, but you could still be invited for the Feb 14 date! It's not over yet! 

So she got an unofficial email from at least one PI responding to her thank you note after the interview telling her she got in, then around midnight she got an official letter from someone else, apparently. My advisor told me not to worry about it too much as they might just still be working out funding or a fellowship or something, but that's pretty much impossible advice to follow because I'm definitely still worrying about it lol. Thank you so much; you're so kind! Hopefully it all works out! 

If you're talking about Northwestern's NUIN program I know that they have only contacted a few people for acceptances - those people won't even receive an official letter for awhile.

They plan to do most of their acceptances after their last interview. 

23 hours ago, _kb said:

Hey! I have my first interview coming up soon and I just went and got some clothes to wear. I wear leggings and hoodies on a regular basis so business casual is not my forte. Berkeley specified in their email "As a rule, clothing is casual on campus, and you are encouraged to wear anything you are
comfortable with while meeting graduate students and faculty." so I got a nice pair of slacks and some nice wool sweaters and blouses. Im wondering if it is common to wear blazers as well? I got one in case but I don't want to overdress. Anyone have any insight on this? Thanks! 

For the interview day (whichever is the main day that you'll be meeting with professors), I would say most people wear blazers - but there are definitely some people who also just stick with sweaters or blouses so if they specifically say casual, I would think you'd be totally fine skipping the blazer. On the other hand, you can always take the blazer off if you feel overdressed.

Hi folks -- I'm a current first year student at UCLA NSIDP and am happy to answer questions about my program or interview protocol / grad school / the decision process in general. Feel free to slide into my dms or reply here if there's anything I can help with; I remember how freakin' stressful this period especially can be!! 

16 hours ago, blarn_4349 said:

Well...you do you, but to be honest, I gave up on it a while back ?

ugh I feel that. I was obsessing over the results from last year to see when we might hear something and, unsurprisingly, that didn't help at all