2019 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admission Results

veldter

2 minutes ago, opoloqo said:

Does the time of submission matter? I don't think they will care about it. Though I submitted at the last minute and no message at present.

I think the thought is that maybe they are reviewing it the order they received the applications.

no Penn interview which im super bummed about but just as I was starting to wallow i got a Duke Neurobio interview (Jan 24-26) so the PhD gods must've known I needed good news :) 

Edited by earsnbrains

5 minutes ago, earsnbrains said:

no Penn interview which im super bummed about it but just as I was starting to wallow i got a Duke Neurobio interview (Jan 24-26) so the PhD gods must've known I needed good news :) 

Congratsss!!!! Do you know if CNAP program will send out separate invitations?

2 hours ago, EricKenjiLee said:

Got an interview request from UO Biology (Neuroscience) about 30 min ago! They said their interviews are Feb. 21st to 22nd!

Congrats!! Like zzzz233, I'm also curious about UCSF and MIT - do you have confirmation that they're done sending out interview invitations? Thanks!

20 minutes ago, zzzz233 said:

I think so based on what I can tell from previous years. I was planning on asking about CNAP in my reply to them so I'll let you know if they tell me anything 

5 hours ago, zzzz233 said:

Just got my first interview invitation from WashU DBBS!!!!!!! I'm soooooo happy :)))))))

Hey! Quick question, on your ApplyWeb does your application status still say "Ready for Review" still or did it change? I am curious whether "Ready for Review" means that my application has not been opened yet. I am a little nervous as I have applied to the BBSB track and haven't heard anything yet! Only one international student got an interview so far in the results section.

Happy to hear I'm not the only one worried on a Friday night! Heard back from UW-Madison today--rejected (probably because I only had a semester of physics and they require a full year... for some reason my brain didn't register that before). 

Best of luck to everyone!! If you're so inclined, I highly recommend a glass of wine and funny podcast to accompany email refreshing ?

2 hours ago, zzzz233 said:

Congratsss!! I saw you put UCSF as rejected/no interview, do you know if they are done with sending out interview invitations?

1 hour ago, guava said:

Congrats!! Like zzzz233, I'm also curious about UCSF and MIT - do you have confirmation that they're done sending out interview invitations? Thanks!

Oops sorry everyone. I don't know for sure that they are done sending out interview requests but I just moved them because I know they sent out interviews (at least the first/second rounds). They are crossed off in my mind :)

1 minute ago, EricKenjiLee said:

Oops sorry everyone. I don't know for sure that they are done sending out interview requests but I just moved them because I know they sent out interviews (at least the first/second rounds). They are crossed off in my mind :)

I haven’t seen anything for MIT. Do you know someone who got an invite?

1 minute ago, EricKenjiLee said:

Someone on the results page said they got an interview (Search for "Brain")

Hmm I see. Since the interviews aren’t until March I think they will probably send another round. 

13 minutes ago, Yoshi19 said:

Hey! Quick question, on your ApplyWeb does your application status still say "Ready for Review" still or did it change? I am curious whether "Ready for Review" means that my application has not been opened yet. I am a little nervous as I have applied to the BBSB track and haven't heard anything yet! Only one international student got an interview so far in the results section.

Hey! I don't see "Ready for Review" on my application and it didn't really say anything about my status, but it does open up some portals for submitting interview related info. We are not applying to the same program, so maybe application reviewing for yours is still going on?

6 minutes ago, maya123z said:

Hmm I see. Since the interviews aren’t until March I think they will probably send another round. 

Possibly. I'm not super disappointed because they do a lot more behavioral in ephys/macaque and I do systems in optical/mouse but I have a good friend in a lab there so I'll try to ply him for more information

1 hour ago, bkim346 said:

When did they let you know? And was it an email or call? 

I got the official email from them at around 3pm today, but the interview days are still tentative.  They may be releasing invites in waves, so I hope you get an invite too! Best of luck everyone

It feels like everyone is getting news but I haven’t gotten anything ? granted, UPenn is the only one on the list that seems to have done anything. I know Berkeley is later but I just wanna hear back!!! Going between checking my grades and my email is a fun time ???

1 minute ago, StarryKnightSkye said:

It feels like everyone is getting news but I haven’t gotten anything ? granted, UPenn is the only one on the list that seems to have done anything. I know Berkeley is later but I just wanna hear back!!! Going between checking my grades and my email is a fun time ???

I saw some berkeley interviews on the results page 

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for all the information from this topic!!! I'm a freshman here and I'm apply for neuroscience phd 2019 fall.

My list is here: UW(Neuroscience), Stanford(Psychology), Columbia(Neurobiology and Behavior), Harvard(PiN), Caltech(CNS)

UW and Stanford's deadlines have passed long~ time ago. Does Anyone get info from these programs?

I would appreciate it if I can get some notifications!

Thank you very much!

2 hours ago, zzzz233 said:

thanks! So i got a reply from the admissions director

what i said in my email: "I also applied to CNAP, and was wondering if there was any coordination in the admissions/interview process between the two programs. Would it be best to wait until I (potentially) hear back from them before committing to the Neurobio interview weekend for any reason? I'm sure its relatively common to apply to both programs, so please let me know if you have any more information about what applicants in similar situations have done in the past."

the reply: "I will check in with CNAP to see where your application stands with them. In the meantime, please proceed with scheduling your visit with LaDonna. I look forward to meeting you in January."

So yes, its separate invites with separate weekends. I'll let you know if i get more info from him once he talks to CNAP. good luck!