2019 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admission Results

veldter

Just now, immerbesserwerden said:

Oof I applied to Sackler and GSAS (neural science). I just love NYC to death...hope can hear back from either of them soon!

all the best of luck!! Its a really great (albeit really expensive) place to spend your 20s.

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 11:16 PM, yash13177 said:

Hi!! Fellow applicant~

I applied to: Harvard (Neuro), NYU (Neuro), Rockefeller (Bioscience), Stanford (Bioscience), Tufts (Neuro), UCSD (Neuro), UCSF (Neuro), University of Rochester (Neuro), University of Virginia (Neuro), University of Washington (Neuro), Yale (BBS)

11 in total...whew!!

My list is fairly similar: Harvard (PiN), CMU/Pitt (CNBC PNC), NYU (Neural Science), Columbia (neuro), Princeton (neuro), Stanford (neuro), UW (neuro), UCSF (neuro), UO (neuro), Boston University (neuro), MIT (neuro), UCSD (neuro). 

If it helps, I know that Harvard has their admissions committee meeting schedule for the 17th at noon which is the last day before winter break so you can assume that interview invitations will be sent out that afternoon. Also, in my conversations with UW Neuro, they usually are fully-prepared to send acceptances to everyone they interview (40-50 people of around 500-600) and have offered 100% in the past.

2 hours ago, EricKenjiLee said:

My list is fairly similar: Harvard (PiN), CMU/Pitt (CNBC PNC), NYU (Neural Science), Columbia (neuro), Princeton (neuro), Stanford (neuro), UW (neuro), UCSF (neuro), UO (neuro), Boston University (neuro), MIT (neuro), UCSD (neuro). 

If it helps, I know that Harvard has their admissions committee meeting schedule for the 17th at noon which is the last day before winter break so you can assume that interview invitations will be sent out that afternoon. Also, in my conversations with UW Neuro, they usually are fully-prepared to send acceptances to everyone they interview (40-50 people of around 500-600) and have offered 100% in the past.

@EricKenjiLee

Thank you that's great information!!! So...fingers crossed for hearing back on the 17th ish~~~~~~

Also UW is one of the few places to directly invite international applicants (as far as citizenship and current place of employment) to interview without a skype interview first. Or at least that's what I was told... 

On 12/8/2018 at 7:13 PM, kate_111 said:

When did you send your applications in? Especially for the UNC?

I also just got a UNC invite. I think this first round was just for people who applied before the priority deadline (Nov 27).

22 hours ago, k8e said:

so glad someone made this thread! i'm a current senior undergrad at NYU in the neuro dept, so if anyone has any questions about it lmk! though idk if i can answer them. 

I applied to 8 schools, UMichigan (direct to Neuro), Berkeley (Neuro), Vanderbilt (Neuro), Hopkins (Neuro), Yale (BBS), UPenn (Neuro), UCSD (Neuro), and OHSU (NGP). 

the wait for interview invitations is paralyzing but hopefully they start to come by soon :)) 

I did my undergrad in neuro at OSU, let me know if you have any questions about the program!

8 hours ago, EricKenjiLee said:

Lots of overlap for us too! I'm applying to 5 of your programs (6 if you count UCSF, but I'm applying to biomedical sciences there instead of neuro).

Thanks for the Harvard info, this is good to know. Guess I'll be glued to my email on the 17th.

Edit: By the way, do you happen to know when Harvard's interview dates will be? I've got an offer to interview Jan 10-12 at another school but I'm worried it might overlap.

Edited by maya123z

3 hours ago, maya123z said:

I did my undergrad in neuro at OSU, let me know if you have any questions about the program!

Do you happen to know when they'll be sending interview invites? lol I just got invited to attend a conference that will be held during the same few days as OHSU interviews. I'd like to be able to tell the conference when I will be a bit more sure of their availability. 

17 minutes ago, k8e said:

Do you happen to know when they'll be sending interview invites? lol I just got invited to attend a conference that will be held during the same few days as OHSU interviews. I'd like to be able to tell the conference when I will be a bit more sure of their availability. 

That unfortunately I don't know, as I'm not at OSU currently (postbac at NIH). I'd recommend just emailing them to ask. Folks in the neuro department are generally very friendly.

I feel like I am slowly losing my mind over here as many of the biology PhD programs send out waves of invites. It seems like the wave of neuro interviews is typically later than other programs?

Im waiting to see how it pans out this year, but last year the dates for the programs I applied to were as follows (stalked the results page):

Yale neuro- Jan 3rd, Princeton neuro- Dec 20-22, Brown neuro- Dec 20-21, Weill Cornell neuro- Dec 21, Dartmouth PEMM neuro- Jan 5-13, USUHS neuro-N/a,

Mayo Clinic neuro said they are reviewing Dec 15th this year

Edited by leecy77

Hey! 

I've applied to ten PhD programs: Albert Einstein (Biomedical Sciences), Cincinnati Children's Hospital (MDB), Dartmouth (PEMM Neuro), Harvard (BBS), Johns Hopkins (CMM), Icahn School of Medicine (Neuro), UPenn (Neuro), St Jude Children's Hospital (Biomedical Sciences), Weill-Cornell (Neuro), Yale (BBS Neuro). I submitted all of my apps on November 30th and anxiously awaiting to hear back! 

15 minutes ago, kate_111 said:

I did submit before Nov 27... oh well will wait and see! Thank you! 

I know that Carolina is currently in the middle of a snowstorm and UNC is shut down due to the weather (see their website). This potentially slows things down ? or maybe they also send emails in waves say every Friday or so. 

1 hour ago, 3150733 said:

To posters above, OSU and OHSU are entirely different programs in different states - just don't want people getting mixed up!

I am also trying not to freak out with the biology PhD program invites - according to this website, 7/9 of my programs invited this week last year! Eek!

Oh my bad, I was definitely referring to OSU!

Seems like everybody is applying to like 8 programs but I could only swing the funds for 4... UW (neuro), OHSU (behavioral neuro), UCLA (neuro), and UCSD (neuro). Kind of freaks me out a little, to be honest!! Not knowing anything is killing me. 

9 hours ago, maya123z said:

Just a heads-up for anyone who applied to U Penn for neuro, they sent out their first round of interview invites last Friday and I just heard from their admissions coordinate that another round will be sent this Friday as well.

Are they just doing the two rounds of invites? And do you know how many people they selected for each round?

15 hours ago, maya123z said:

Lots of overlap for us too! I'm applying to 5 of your programs (6 if you count UCSF, but I'm applying to biomedical sciences there instead of neuro).

Thanks for the Harvard info, this is good to know. Guess I'll be glued to my email on the 17th.

Edit: By the way, do you happen to know when Harvard's interview dates will be? I've got an offer to interview Jan 10-12 at another school but I'm worried it might overlap.

I'm just hypothesizing but it would probably be sometime that week if not that day; I read the calendar wrong! It looks like they have it slated for the 17th to the 20th of January for interviews so you're good. I'm guessing the Friday and Saturday are the actual interview days. I have a friend who got asked to interview for pretty much all 12 of the schools I applied to (swap out UO for Berkeley) and she said that only Princeton and Carnegie Mellon (and one other pair I forgot) overlapped that year. 

If it's any consolation, her application profile was about as strong as yours but I can't comment on fit. She was quite a bit more computational though.

Edited by EricKenjiLee

4 hours ago, ltlltl2006 said:

Hi allI did Princeton, Upenn (NGG), Columbia (Neurobiology and Behavior), and CMU (CNBC)

You're the only person who I saw applying to Princeton Neuro and CMU CNBC but just a heads-up that their interview weekends were the same last weekend and my friend had to deny one.

Edited by EricKenjiLee

21 hours ago, yash13177 said:

@EricKenjiLee

Thank you that's great information!!! So...fingers crossed for hearing back on the 17th ish~~~~~~

Also UW is one of the few places to directly invite international applicants (as far as citizenship and current place of employment) to interview without a skype interview first. Or at least that's what I was told... 

Not sure but I can ask. I work directly with many of their professors daily and know a ton of their grad students. One girl, who served as a grad student rep. on their ad comm is a coworker of mines! I'm a little leery about asking questions before knowing whether I'll get an interview or not but you can just send me any that you have and I'll try to ask around. I'm personally trying to find out when interview emails go out, interview dates, and what typical successful applicant profiles look like.

Edited by EricKenjiLee