2019 Acceptances

It kind of gives me the impression that the more slots people are available for, the more likely they are to be interviewed, which I really hope isn’t the case since I’m only available one day (by chance, otherwise I work full time). 

To quote the email: “The department will not be able to interview all of the candidates at this round of the admissions process, so not all of you will receive a request for an interview.” 

13 hours ago, swarthmawr said:

It kind of gives me the impression that the more slots people are available for, the more likely they are to be interviewed, which I really hope isn’t the case since I’m only available one day (by chance, otherwise I work full time). 

I would honestly like to believe that they're not going to reject people on the basis of being less than 100% available to do an interview with such short notice. That would be extremely shitty of them. As long as you opened up a couple of slots, I can't imagine it being a problem, not to mention a whole day. But, I mean, I'm just working off a basic assumption of minimal human decency and fairness. I sincerely hope you get an interview! All we can do now is wait.

3 hours ago, beardedlady said:

I would honestly like to believe that they're not going to reject people on the basis of being less than 100% available to do an interview with such short notice. That would be extremely shitty of them. As long as you opened up a couple of slots, I can't imagine it being a problem, not to mention a whole day. But, I mean, I'm just working off a basic assumption of minimal human decency and fairness. I sincerely hope you get an interview! All we can do now is wait.

I must learn this optimism (or basic faith in humanity...). I hope you get it too! 

1 hour ago, arbie said:

To be fair, I won’t say how many schools I applied to, but it’s an embarrassing high number to play the odds.?

Lol hopefully this method pays off for me too in the end ??‍♀️

Also...congrats!!! You’re killing it this cycle 

18 hours ago, kendalldinniene said:

Lol hopefully this method pays off for me too in the end ??‍♀️

Also...congrats!!! You’re killing it this cycle 

Thanks!! It’s very early days still so the odds are definitely in our favor! Wishing you much success!

(Though, it is nice to have three days where we don’t have to constantly refresh our email lol)

14 hours ago, arbie said:

Thanks!! It’s very early days still so the odds are definitely in our favor! Wishing you much success!

(Though, it is nice to have three days where we don’t have to constantly refresh our email lol)

Lol I checked the results page immediately this morning and then had conflicting feelings of relief and impatient desperation. Still feeling that feeling.

38 minutes ago, snorkles said:

Looks like Ohio State updated the application portals with acceptances. I'm in, unless their system made a severe error. 

Congrats!!!

1 hour ago, JuliaStelmach said:

Tell me everything you know about this...did you get an email or you got to check the system?

Sorry, I did not apply to Tennessee. I was just congratulating whoever had posted on the board. I believe it was @arbie!

8 minutes ago, illcounsel said:

Sorry, I did not apply to Tennessee. I was just congratulating whoever had posted on the board. I believe it was @arbie!

1 hour ago, JuliaStelmach said:

Tell me everything you know about this...did you get an email or you got to check the system?

I got an email from the DGS last Thursday. I checked the system out of curiosity and nothing had been updated on the online portal. I will say my offer came with an additional source of funding on top of the base, so it’s possible others are still to come, if that’s a common occurance. 

For reference, I study cultural productions of modern and contemporary women across the African diaspora, with a Postcolonial and intersectional lens. 

@Matthew3957 Thank you! Just got the call today around four from a poi- he said funding info and official acceptance letter would be sent later this week. Good luck, I’m sure you’ll hear something soon.

Edited by j.alicea

52 minutes ago, arbie said:

I got an email from the DGS last Thursday. I checked the system out of curiosity and nothing had been updated on the online portal. I will say my offer came with an additional source of funding on top of the base, so it’s possible others are still to come, if that’s a common occurance. 

For reference, I study cultural productions of modern and contemporary women across the African diaspora, with a Postcolonial and intersectional lens. 

Congrats and thank you very much! That helps a lot. Well, maybe there is still hope for more acceptance letters..