2019 Acceptances

17 minutes ago, madandmoonly said:

But as a posthumanist this program is a REALLY good fit for the work that I do, and I’m really pleased.

It so is a good fit and that's such good news! I'm sitting at a Barnes and Noble about five minutes away from Rice right now, resisting the urge to stumble into their department office and tell them "hey guys it's me dilby you don't need to call me I'm right here"

On 1/25/2019 at 2:45 PM, dilby said:

Congratulations!

On 1/25/2019 at 2:51 PM, mandelbulb said:

congrats @Sav!

On 1/25/2019 at 2:55 PM, kendalldinniene said:

Hell yeah, congrats!

aw thank you guys!!

On 1/25/2019 at 2:25 PM, madandmoonly said:

Hi, made an account to claim this admission post! 

I wasn’t expecting them to admit until Feb. either! Very surprised! But as a posthumanist this program is a REALLY good fit for the work that I do, and I’m really pleased. 

(I’ve been hardcore lurking this forum for a while now.)

Have you gotten an email yet with details? She said they would be sending in a few minutes. I’m probably just being impatient though! 

I posted regarding Northeastern's welcome invitation. They've invited some applicants to visit the campus for what they call a ""pre-admission welcome" in order to make a more informed decision about going there should we receive an acceptance.

2 hours ago, arbie said:

Just posted re an email from Northeastern. Add them to the list of schools that interview—i wonder if this will be a growing trend?

53 minutes ago, Englishtea1 said:

I posted regarding Northeastern's welcome invitation. They've invited some applicants to visit the campus for what they call a ""pre-admission welcome" in order to make a more informed decision about going there should we receive an acceptance.

I wonder if this should be considered an implied rejection if we didn't..

2 hours ago, arbie said:

Just posted re an email from Northeastern. Add them to the list of schools that interview—i wonder if this will be a growing trend?

1 hour ago, Englishtea1 said:

Interview weekends must be expensive, but I wonder if they've been losing money on admits before. If people have dropped out a couple years into the program, they might be trying to front load expenses. 

2 hours ago, Englishtea1 said:

I think Northeastern started last year with inviting some applicants to campus. I know it caught some people by surprise.

@Warelin interesting! Thanks for showing me this thread. They gave us an itinerary and everything with faculty/student meetings scheduled in so I assume that’s their opportunity to ask us about our research. 

@victoriansimpkins I wouldn’t consider it an implied rejection. I don’t even like how loosely the term is used on the forum because so many factors could change regarding who’s accepted into a program. A rejection is never a rejection until you get that official letter. 

Hello gradcafe pals! I got an email from the departmental chair at USC Comp Lit on Friday, inviting me to campus for three days to meet the faculty and “talk about my work” ? I am somewhere between thrilled and TERRIFIED. I don’t suppose any 2018 applicants/current students have any insight on how this is gonna go down?! How many are invited vs accepted, what to expect from interviews, whether I should prepare a presentation or anything? Would so appreciate any info at all because I am bricking it! Thanks so much!

58 minutes ago, veroniquea said:

An email from University of Minnesota's Comparative Studies in Discourse and Society program makes for my first acceptance! Such a feeling of relief!

Congratulations! That's a super cool program--definitely one I'll be looking at if this cycle ends in a shutout :) 

3 hours ago, veroniquea said:

An email from University of Minnesota's Comparative Studies in Discourse and Society program makes for my first acceptance! Such a feeling of relief!

congrats! 

Also wow they are sending out acceptances on a Sunday... real dedication :)

11 hours ago, swarthmawr said:

Got an email from Purdue’s American Studies PhD program director confirming my acceptance! I can’t believe I’m going to grad school :D 

Congrats! 

By the way, let me know if you have any questions about Brandeis. I got my MA there, and I actually know someone on the admissions committee this year! 

1 minute ago, Englishtea1 said:

Congrats on the early acceptance! Isn't it relieving?!

Thank you! Yes, having some early responses has been so nice. Although, there's still part of me that is incredibly anxious about the rest (of course)!