Graduate Programs, is my GRE going to hurt me?

Hello!

Like alot of people this time of the year, I am super stressed out about getting accepted into a graduate program for SLP. I want to be a medical SLP so my programs were very limited. I looked at schools that had Hospitals on their campus/ connected to or programs with unique course. Here are the schools:

1. University Washington MedSLP (the dream haha)
  2. MGH IHP, Boston
  3. Rush University
  4. CU Boulder (I am an undergrad here now)
  5. University of Kentucky
  6. New York Medical College 
  7. Columbia, Teachers College
  8. University of Florida, Gainseville
  9. University of Georgia
  10. Louisiana State University, New Orleans

My GPA is a 3.76 but my GREs are Q: 149, V: 149 W: 4.5. I had a professor tell me there is a 90% chance I won't get in to any of these programs. 

I have both research and clinical experience with a lot of observation hours; and volunteering work. I just finished my SLPA program this fall. 

To past applicants, do I have a shot at these programs or should I add some less competitive programs? Please help a girl out cause I am a hot mess rn.

I am shocked that your professor would tell you that, and I hate that you had to hear that. Honestly, to me, it is very belittling considering you have a high GPA and experience within the field. 

Since you are applying to ten schools, I feel your chances are pretty high. Are some of those schools back up schools that you meet all the requirements for or all they all a stretch?  Have you looked into University of Cincinnati? They have top rated hospitals right by their medical campus, so I am sure that they would have wonderful placements. I am applying there, but for audiology. 

2 hours ago, FutureAuD03 said:

I am shocked that your professor would tell you that, and I hate that you had to hear that. Honestly, to me, it is very belittling considering you have a high GPA and experience within the field. 

Since you are applying to ten schools, I feel your chances are pretty high. Are some of those schools back up schools that you meet all the requirements for or all they all a stretch?  Have you looked into University of Cincinnati? They have top rated hospitals right by their medical campus, so I am sure that they would have wonderful placements. I am applying there, but for audiology. 

I agree...also look at Loma Linda University, it's in CA and doesn't require the GRE!

On 1/16/2019 at 3:22 PM, ashe0354 said:

Hello!

Like alot of people this time of the year, I am super stressed out about getting accepted into a graduate program for SLP. I want to be a medical SLP so my programs were very limited. I looked at schools that had Hospitals on their campus/ connected to or programs with unique course. Here are the schools:

2. MGH IHP, Boston
  3. Rush University
  9. University of Georgia

My GPA is a 3.76 but my GREs are Q: 149, V: 149 W: 4.5. I had a professor tell me there is a 90% chance I won't get in to any of these programs. 

I have both research and clinical experience with a lot of observation hours; and volunteering work. I just finished my SLPA program this fall. 

To past applicants, do I have a shot at these programs or should I add some less competitive programs? Please help a girl out cause I am a hot mess rn.

Terrible that your professor told you that. He or she is not on the admissions committee to those other schools and simply does not know. 

You have a great GPA and great experiences in the field, so that will definitely help offset your Q and V scores. I don't think your Q and V scores will exactly help you, but I doubt they would ruin your application. You may not get offered a GA or TA position because of your more average scores, but most don't get offered that anyway :) 

Do any of these programs have a GRE cut off? That's the only way I could see them really hurting you as some programs use those cut offs to easily file through applications by not looking at applications with scores under the cutoff. 

Best of luck to you! Try to enjoy what's left of your senior year! 

Another thing -- sometimes program requirements are negotiable, depending on the contacts you've made in the departments.  This isn't an in-field example, but a friend of mine didn't have the minimum GMAT score for the MBA program they wanted to attend.  They discussed this with the dean and were able to impress him with their enthusiasm and knowledge enough to get the minimum requirement waived in their case.  

Another friend, who acted as a graduate admissions adviser also chided me for not establishing more contacts at my local university, making myself better-known among the committee members, and negotiating my first rejection.  I kind of lack the confidence to do so, but I probably should have at least tried.

On 1/17/2019 at 8:18 PM, FutureAuD03 said:

Thank you! And Cincinnati had an early application due in December for speech :(

Kentucky and New York medical college are some of my backups and I just got an invite to New York medical college so fingers crossed ??

I'm sorry that your professor was not encouraging at all! Remember that the GRE score is one of many parts of your application. Numbers help, but they aren't everything. Someone could be REALLY good at taking standardized tests and then all of a sudden have a crappy bedside manner... that's not type of clinician we'd want!

If you were able to 100% show in your personal statement and experiences that you are committed to this field, it will really show. We're in this together!

Best of luck :)

That's crazy your professor said that! I had a lower gpa than you but similar gre scores and I got in! Try selling yourself in other areas but having a very strong letter of intent and letters of recommendation! Like others have said you could apply to programs that don't require the gre scores if you are concerned! My graduate program I"m currently attending didn't require the gre score when I was accepted! Good luck! You got this :) 

On 1/16/2019 at 5:22 PM, ashe0354 said:

Hello!

2. MGH IHP, Boston
  3. Rush University
  9. University of Georgia

Hey there! First, I'm so sorry that you received those discouraging words from your professor. I'm an undergraduate CSD student at the University of Kentucky now and I know a lot of people in my class (and grad students in the program) who have GRE scores similar to yours or lower. Our advisors told us to shoot for a 300 to be safe, but that past students accepted had scores down in the lower 290s. Your AW score seems good based on people that I've talked to! Your research and clinical experiences are going to be really important and I feel that UK places a lot of value on this since they have the attached Academic Clinic and great opportunities leading to medical speech. 

Of course I can't be certain about any of that but hope that this helped some. Best of luck to you! I also applied to UW MedSLP and UK, so let me know if you want to chat more about either! :)

Edited by lilyslp

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 4:22 PM, ashe0354 said:

Hello!

2. MGH IHP, Boston
  3. Rush University
  9. University of Georgia

LSUHSC-NO sent out inerviews via email recently!

• 2 weeks later...