Fall 2020 Applicants

homie_de_lettres

Both the Penn and USC interview requests listed today are from me. A great way to wake up, to say the least!

For Penn, I sent a brief notice to my POI before and after I submitted my application. I've engaged a lot with his writing in my recent work, and the prospect of working with him is incredibly exciting to me. My area of focus is early modern, with a particular interest in Southern Europe from the 15th–17th centuries. My POI is currently on sabbatical, but I got the sense that this was more of an informal contact. I'm not sure what Penn's policy is for applicant-faculty interviews; it may be a case by case basis. Seriously hoping that others hear back from them as well!

And yes, @venusofwillendork, that seems to be the case—so relieving! Was so happy to hear from them. My fingers are crossed for all of us. If nothing else, the one reaffirming factor is that we all understand how anxiety-inducing this process can be.

Edited by renforall

30 minutes ago, venusofwillendork said:

@theoryschmeary I haven't been through Yale's process before, but looking at the last couple of years in the results -- looks like interviews are requested in Jan 29-31, and we hear back between Feb 8-16!  best of luck!

You’re right. Spoke to some current students and they had their interviews end of Jan and offers around first 2 weeks of Feb. (last year and the year before). 

11 minutes ago, nochoicestan said:

I saw that Harvard has sent an interview request (congrats to that person!)  Anyone know if they send them to all shortlisted applicants? all at the same time?

Harvard is from me. POI said it is still incredibly early in the process, so our conversation is more of an opportunity to get acquainted. I'll ask about the review timeline to get some insight!

Congrats to those starting to hear back from Yale! I'm running out of fingers to cross.

An update on Harvard: interviews during the application process are not department-wide policy. Individual professors may or may not choose to speak with applicants who want to work with them specifically. Decisions then made by committee as a whole. So, another case by case scenario!

9 hours ago, Swamp_demon said:

Hi all!

anyone know anything abt the Michigan entry?

Hey that was me. Got an invitation from the DGS for recruitment weekend (March 12-14) which includes interviews with faculty and dinner with current students. The deadline to accept is Feb 12 so my hunch is that they will send a second round of invitations if not enough people accept. I am not 100% sure though, this is just a guess. 

@coolperson54321 congrats on Yale!! 
@renforall same here was really hoping to get Yale .. ah well it’s not meant to be I guess!