Fall 2020 Applicants

homie_de_lettres

29 minutes ago, IphigeniaInAulis said:

Hey, I received an interview request from Cornell a week ago and will be speaking to them this week

Thanks for letting me know! 
Completely unrelated question, but does anyone know what “you have been recommended to the graduate school for admission to our program” mean? Does that mean I’m in or not yet?

12 minutes ago, Modconart said:

Completely unrelated question, but does anyone know what “you have been recommended to the graduate school for admission to our program” mean? Does that mean I’m in or not yet?

It probably means that the department approved your application and the graduate school's admissions department has to give your app a once over and make sure the department didn't miss any glaring issues before officially offering admission. I heard the same phrase from a department representative and ended up needing to send along official transcripts to the graduate school proper in order to receive official admission to the school itself.

14 minutes ago, annarchy666 said:

It probably means that the department approved your application and the graduate school's admissions department has to give your app a once over and make sure the department didn't miss any glaring issues before officially offering admission. I heard the same phrase from a department representative and ended up needing to send along official transcripts to the graduate school proper in order to receive official admission to the school itself.

Thanks so much!

26 minutes ago, Modconart said:

@Modconart YES, you're in, congratulations!  my understanding is that that's political speak for "we the department made our decision and are now telling our bosses to accept you!" -- the graduate school/dean is just the administrative aspect of the official offer.  Once the department/committee has selected you and offered it, you're 99.9% of the way in.  You might get a second letter from the graduate school/dean confirming and offering the official acceptance.

27 minutes ago, venusofwillendork said:

@Modconart YES, you're in, congratulations!  my understanding is that that's political speak for "we the department made our decision and are now telling our bosses to accept you!" -- the graduate school/dean is just the administrative aspect of the official offer.  Once the department/committee has selected you and offered it, you're 99.9% of the way in.  You might get a second letter from the graduate school/dean confirming and offering the official acceptance.

Thank you !! @venusofwillendork

Hi all, I realize that some on waitlists may want a sense of when they could hear back about spots.  I feel like most admits won't decide until after the admitted students weekend; I am therefore copying the earlier list sent out about notifications, and am hoping that people can share their knowledge of when these weekends might take place (approximate date is fine/better).  I am copying the ones that I know - please add dates and schools as you know them!

• Northwestern - mid-February
  • Stanford - 
  • WashU - 
  • Brown - 
  • UNC (MA) - 
  • Emory - 
  • Cornell - 
  • Yale - 
  • Johns Hopkins - 
  • UCLA - beginning of March
  • Princeton - end of March
  • UC Irvine - 
  • UC Berkeley - 
  • Bard - 
  • Rice University - 
  • Harvard - none (to be organized by the student)
  • USC - end of March
Edited by AriSeal

Congrats to the Columbia admits! Does anyone have any idea if all offers have been sent? It seems like in last years most acceptances were sent out later in the month and at the same time as rejections. Should I lose my last bit of hope?

1 hour ago, Lllok said:

Congrats to the Columbia admits! Does anyone have any idea if all offers have been sent? It seems like in last years most acceptances were sent out later in the month and at the same time as rejections. Should I lose my last bit of hope?

It does seem like all offers have been sent. I received an email from the grad program manager with an attached letter of invitation signed by DGS.

On 1/24/2020 at 7:17 PM, 2ndbreakfast said:

Just received emails of acceptance from Wisconsin-Madison and Case Western! (both MA). My POIs are Nancy Marshall and Andrea Rager

Hello, I am new here. I got accepted to CWU on Jan 24 as well! If I attend I will be working on Medieval Art with Dr. Gertsman. @2ndbreakfast will you be attending the open house in March?

1 hour ago, ned0101 said:

I'm wondering the same. Really anxious to hear from Duke and UNC CH.

Same here. I checked the past admits, they were invited to welcome week and CAA which are happening this week. I assume either Duke admits for this year do not use gradcafe or Duke has not sent out anything so far. 

4 hours ago, ned0101 said:

I'm wondering the same. Really anxious to hear from Duke and UNC CH.

Yeah UNC has been weird this year. The MA and PhD had the same deadline but the MA decisions were made in a month and the PhD decisions have taken 2.5??? Inunderstand that PhD candidates may need to be vetted more thoroughly, but that seems drastic. Also, it seems like the norm for every other school is to make PhD decisions first so that they can defer people to the MA committee but to have the MA decision so early and no PhD news is really vexing.

On 2/10/2020 at 4:04 PM, IphigeniaInAulis said:

Has anyone heard anything from UPenn (History of Art)?

Actually wanted to follow up on this and ask @ncan360 if they may have heard anything? I think that they were the other poster who said they had an interview with their POI.

On 2/11/2020 at 10:25 PM, AriSeal said:

Hi all, I realize that some on waitlists may want a sense of when they could hear back about spots.  I feel like most admits won't decide until after the admitted students weekend; I am therefore copying the earlier list sent out about notifications, and am hoping that people can share their knowledge of when these weekends might take place (approximate date is fine/better).  I am copying the ones that I know - please add dates and schools as you know them!

• Stanford -  
  • WashU - Feb 27-29
  • Brown - 
  • BU - early April
  • UNC (MA) - 
  • Emory - 
  • Cornell - 
  • Yale - March 2
  • Johns Hopkins - 
  • UC Irvine - 
  • UC Berkeley - 
  • Bard - 
  • Rice University - 
  • USC - end of March

Just adding to yours

Edited by coolperson54321

18 hours ago, renforall said:

Actually wanted to follow up on this and ask @ncan360 if they may have heard anything? I think that they were the other poster who said they had an interview with their POI.

Hi all! Nothing further from my POI or the department since my phone call /informal interview a couple of weeks ago now. My POI mentioned the department was placing a huge emphasis on new hires at the moment, specifically in contemporary and media studies, so perhaps that is slowing the admissions process down a bit this year. 

Edited by ncan360

On 2/12/2020 at 3:06 PM, Fiat said:

Hello, I am new here. I got accepted to CWU on Jan 24 as well! If I attend I will be working on Medieval Art with Dr. Gertsman. @2ndbreakfast will you be attending the open house in March?

Hi there! Congratulations on your acceptance! Yes, I will be at the open house in March! I'm super excited, I think they are my top choice! :) Feel free to PM me if you wanna discuss more!

On 2/11/2020 at 9:25 PM, AriSeal said:

• Stanford - 
  • WashU - 
  • Brown - 
  • UNC (MA) - 
  • Emory - 
  • Cornell - 
  • Yale - 
  • Johns Hopkins - 
  • UC Irvine - 
  • UC Berkeley - 
  • Bard - 
  • Rice University - 
  • USC - end of March

UNC Chapel Hill’s admitted students weekend is scheduled for 2/28-2/29