Fall 2020 Applicants

homie_de_lettres

8 hours ago, coolperson54321 said:

@swatchswatchthe interview request was from two other professors within the department who are not my POI or anyone else I mentioned in my app

Congratulations! Could you let us know your field? 

I was not expecting them to interview all potential candidates. I don't recall reading it on their website, and my POI (19th century) never mentioned this being a step in the admissions process.

Good luck with your interview :)

Edited by Lllok

2 hours ago, Lllok said:

Congratulations! Could you let us know your field? 

I was not expecting them to interview all potential candidates. I don't recall reading it on their website, and my POI (19th century) never mentioned this being a step in the admissions process.

Good luck with your interview :)

Thanks! My field is early modern. No one I talked to while applying mentioned an interview so I thought there wasn't going to be one. In the email they said they are interviewing "a short list of candidates" so maybe it is a thing now. 

Edited by coolperson54321

@Modconart Hopefully Yale will be sending requests over a few days. Won’t be too surprised if I don’t hear anything, as my POIs here were the only ones that didn’t respond to my introductory email. ?

And congrats to the Berkeley admit! That was quick! I’m still wondering about their interview process. It seems that not many folks were contacted for a conversation?

weekly update because this has been helpful for me for thinking about my timeline expectations!  obv these are not mine, but i'm looking at he results page and this forum and hoping it helps now or future forum-trawlers!

• Bard - interview (email)
  • Case Western Reserve University - acceptances sent (POI AR) / rejections sent
  • Emory - Interviews sent 
  • Harvard - Some interviews sent (Interviews not mandatory -- by individual POI's discretion)
  • Indiana-University Bloomington - interviews sent
  • Johns Hopkins - Interviews sent (via email)
  • Michigan - Interview sent (invite to recruitment weekend in March)
  • Northwestern - acceptances sent  (email from DGS, POI CS) / waitlist (at least one) sent
  • Ohio State University - acceptance sent
  • Princeton - one interview listed on Results 
  • Rice University - acceptance sent
  • Stanford - Interviews sent (in bulk, from DGS) / unofficial(?) rejection sent (but certainly not all -- I applied)
  • Stonybrook University - acceptance sent
  • UC Berkeley - interview via PI (sent likely in bulk, as there were several!) / unofficial acceptance sent
  • UC Irvine - interview via PI (email)
  • University of Minnesota - acceptance sent
  • UNC (MA) - acceptance sent (POI TS) / rejections sent 
  • UPenn - interview sent (contacted by POI)
  • USC - acceptances sent (call from DGS -- not all at once, if the dates are to be believed) / rejections not sent (I assume, because I applied!)
  • Wisconsin-Madison - acceptance sent (POI NM)
  • University of York - acceptance sent
  • WashU - acceptances sent (email, POIs KK and EC)
  • Yale - Interviews sent (20 min interview with fac outside your discipline -- possibly not all periods)

any info to add?  anything i'm missing? good luck everyone!

Edited by venusofwillendork

Case Western (PhD): interview request

17 hours ago, venusofwillendork said:

weekly update because this has been helpful for me for thinking about my timeline expectations!  obv these are not mine, but i'm looking at he results page and this forum and hoping it helps now or future forum-trawlers!

• Bard - interview (email)
  • Case Western Reserve University - acceptances sent (POI AR) / rejections sent
  • Emory - Interviews sent 
  • Harvard - Some interviews sent (Interviews not mandatory -- by individual POI's discretion)
  • Indiana-University Bloomington - interviews sent
  • Johns Hopkins - Interviews sent (via email)
  • Michigan - Interview sent (invite to recruitment weekend in March)
  • Northwestern - acceptances sent  (email from DGS, POI CS) / waitlist (at least one) sent
  • Ohio State University - acceptance sent
  • Princeton - one interview listed on Results 
  • Rice University - acceptance sent
  • Stanford - Interviews sent (in bulk, from DGS) / unofficial(?) rejection sent (but certainly not all -- I applied)
  • Stonybrook University - acceptance sent
  • UC Berkeley - interview via PI (sent likely in bulk, as there were several!) / unofficial acceptance sent
  • UC Irvine - interview via PI (email)
  • University of Minnesota - acceptance sent
  • UNC (MA) - acceptance sent (POI TS) / rejections sent 
  • UPenn - interview sent (contacted by POI)
  • USC - acceptances sent (call from DGS -- not all at once, if the dates are to be believed) / rejections not sent (I assume, because I applied!)
  • Wisconsin-Madison - acceptance sent (POI NM)
  • University of York - acceptance sent
  • WashU - acceptances sent (email, POIs KK and EC)
  • Yale - Interviews sent (20 min interview with fac outside your discipline -- possibly not all periods)

any info to add?  anything i'm missing? good luck everyone!

A long time lurker here!

I've read through previous topics, and it seems like Berkeley has been interviewing their top candidates (more or less formal interviews, I guess). Since I heard nothing from Berkeley, I should just assume that I didn't get in. 

I thought the writing-the-applications part of the process was the hardest one, but I think this waiting game is the most mentally demanding part of the PhD applications process. I've been re-reading my SOP and thinking I wish I had written it differently and stated my research interests in a more strategic way :( So many regrets, but I should stop going back and regretting...

Edited by snowmann

Who was rejected from Princeton already? Could this person's POI have meant that the department's decisions have been sent out for the DGS's approval? It's still awfully early for results to have been sent already, in comparison with other years.

Edited by Lllok

This waiting game is too painful.

In a class this morning, my friend sitting next told me that I started to write "PANIC" on my iPad for so many times. AND I WAS NOT EVEN AWARE OF MYSELF DOING IT. I couldn't focus on any other things anymore, and I hated myself being completely impatient with the results and immature with this process. I just hope this slow-torturing can end as soon as possible. Or I should just block grad cafe for good.

I guess, Que sera, sera. My best wishes for everyone reading this post and/or in similar situations.

45 minutes ago, renforall said:

New Penn interview—anyone claiming/willing to share field and POI?

Hi, that was me! 

I'm doing photo-history/contemporary. My POI mentioned to me that they are not yet at the point of having their admissions review, so I imagine more interview requests will come! Edit: This seems very preliminary.

Edited by ncan360

Hi everyone! Princeton was me. POI (med/byz) reached out. I wish I could speak more to the process.

Really sorry about the delay.

I hope all of you are finding ways to cope with this dreadful period. (I'm not!!!)