Fall 2020 Applicants

homie_de_lettres

On 2/28/2020 at 4:04 PM, WorldTraveler111 said:

*Sorry wrong thread- I just realized this thread is specific to art history*
Received word earlier this week that I was accepted into Rice’s Global Affairs program. 

haha no worries, congrats! Rice is a great school and it's gorgeous plus Houston is awesome!!

Anyone else waiting for Columbia? I called the Department today, and the Graduate Programs Manager told me that not all accepted and waitlisted students have been notified and that the results will be released throughout March. I find it somehow difficult to believe though, as I'm sure the entire Department/Admissions Committee makes decisions on the final candidates irrespective of their fields. Please share if you have any knowledge on the program!

UPDATE: I received the decision for the program. Best of luck to everyone!

Edited by swatchswatch

On 3/4/2020 at 5:09 PM, renforall said:

I think all admits have been notified. Just heard from a POI that the department only brings in 5 students each year, but I have no idea about waitlist notifications. Based on past results, looks like waitlisters are notified at same time as admits. 

Hi @renforall & @Fast_Talking_Dame i corresponded with the dept -- sounds like they're working to get things up online slowly but surely, so you may be able to see things there (my portal does not appear to have changed).  however, they did say that they have made offers to their five candidates and further that they are not taking any Americanists -- so if that applies to you too, alas!  best of luck with Penn & your other applications!

2 hours ago, nel09 said:

How is everyone planning on making decisions with campus visit days cancelled and many universities moving courses online for the rest of the term? This definitely complicates the decision making process.

It definitely does complicate things. I’m Skyping professors of interest while awaiting plans for virtual tours (particularly for UPenn who just sent word of cancellation). 

Just got into UChicago Art History MAPH with 12k scholarship. But does anyone know how prestigious the program is? cohort size? Reputation? My subfield is Medieval Art. Thanks in advance.

4 hours ago, IphigeniaInAulis said:

It definitely does complicate things. I’m Skyping professors of interest while awaiting plans for virtual tours (particularly for UPenn who just sent word of cancellation). 

The cancellations are definitely disappointing. Was excited to visit but the virtual tour will have to do. ?

10 hours ago, renforall said:

The cancellations are definitely disappointing. Was excited to visit but the virtual tour will have to do. ?

The school I'm most interested in closed and they offered admission but were still determining funding... I was told I may not hear about funding until much closer to signing day. Oof.

15 hours ago, Fiat said:

Just got into UChicago Art History MAPH with 12k scholarship. But does anyone know how prestigious the program is? cohort size? Reputation? My subfield is Medieval Art. Thanks in advance.

It's a complete swindle and the reputation of this program is pretty terrible. If you are at all interested in going on to a PhD program, I would suggest pursuing a proper MA in Medieval Art. Did you apply to Tufts (Maranci/Overbey, who is however retiring), Case (Gertsman/Bolman), Williams (Low)? They are all excellent programs that offer funding and have a great track record placing their MA students in top PhD programs.

2 hours ago, Villard said:

It's a complete swindle and the reputation of this program is pretty terrible. If you are at all interested in going on to a PhD program, I would suggest pursuing a proper MA in Medieval Art. Did you apply to Tufts (Maranci/Overbey, who is however retiring), Case (Gertsman/Bolman), Williams (Low)? They are all excellent programs that offer funding and have a great track record placing their MA students in top PhD programs.

Yes I actually got into Case with a full tuition scholarship and am currently on the waitlist for a 15K stipend! Seriously considering going there but my parents want me to go to UChicago MAPH just because of the name.

20 hours ago, Fiat said:

Don't go for it. Too expensive! My mentor graduated from her Art History PhD at UChicago and even she said it's not a good idea. You're better off going to all the other backup options you mentioned or attending university in Europe. A close friend of mine rejected MAPH and decided to apply to a couple of universities in Europe. She is a Medieval Studies MA student at Strasbourg and it was considerably better in terms of funding, cost of living, and she gets to do research on nearby townships and archaeological research designated areas.

22 hours ago, Fiat said:

So weird, I got the EXACT same offer last night, little did I realize their regular tuition is like $63K... I think it's probably good if you have a really clear idea of what you want to study and you have a really interdisciplinary field of interest. I feel like it feels too much like a post-bacc program and would like to have more camaraderie for that much $$$. But UChicago is a great school with great profs, gorgeous campus and the language option is cool if you want to gain fluency for phD apps. 

I was very excited about CUNY's open day but it got cancelled:( I know they made some offers already and deliberately withheld some to send after the open day. I don't know how it will all work out in this situation... It's my first choice and I'm still waiting...anyone on the same boat with me lol? My concentration is modern art btw.

Unsure if there is a waitlist for the Art History PhD program at the University of Delaware, but if there is I wanted those waiting to know that I have just declined an offer of admission there. My field of study is 19th Century French and POI was Dr. Werth. 

On 3/7/2020 at 3:15 PM, tunic_youth said:

Congratulations! 

I also got accepted to UC Davis' MA program in art history which I'm ready to accept these days. I won't make it to the recruitment day, but @canyah & @clearvoyant please do share your impressions :D 

Congratulations to you too! I had already decided no longer to attend the visit because of coronavirus (I'd be flying in from the east coast), but recently heard from the grad program coordinator that the whole event was ultimately canceled. I'm going in a little bit blind, but I feel really encouraged by my conversation with a POI as well as an alum of the program who I know. I also did my undergrad at another UC, so I feel a little more prepared just having been in a similar environment before. 

Let me know if you do accept the offer! 

On 3/6/2020 at 11:02 PM, clearvoyant said:

I'm currently deciding between Tufts and UC Davis.

Tufts offered a partial scholarship, but Davis is funded with TAship in the first quarter. Recruitment event is next Thursday so hopefully that will help me decide.

My feeling is that a partial scholarship to a private university comes out more expensive in the end than going to UC (especially with TAship/funding)-- at least, that's how my calculations worked out for my own decision. Best of luck making your decision! 

Not sure if there is a waitlist for any of these schools, but I have declined Stony Brook PhD, Tufts MA, and City College MA for anyone who is interested in these programs. 

For any Tufts admits, ask for more money. They dangled more money after my decline (originally offered half-tuition scholarship).