Fall 2020 Applicants

homie_de_lettres

38 minutes ago, brooketrout said:

for the two WASHU admits; congratulations!!!! could you also please share POI and if you applied for one of the fellowships (specifically the Olin Fellowship)?

I'd second this question. Congrats to the WashU admits! 

40 minutes ago, brooketrout said:

for the two WASHU admits; congratulations!!!! could you also please share POI and if you applied for one of the fellowships (specifically the Olin Fellowship)?

POI is Kristina Kleutghen (Chinese art) and I did apply for both the Chancellors and Olin fellowship. They said I'm being considered for the Olin one in the email. 

Congrats to the ones who got interviews!

I am just wondering if the interviews are in-person or Skype. Because I applied for US grad schools but I don’t live there. So I am thinking if I might then have fewer chances to get asked for interviews. Anyone who got interviews can let me know? Thanks!

My field is contemporary. Applied for Princeton, Yale, NYU, CUNY, Berkeley, Stanford and UCLA. The whole waiting process is very distressing!

4 hours ago, Bluemonochrome said:

Congrats to the ones who got interviews!

I am just wondering if the interviews are in-person or Skype. Because I applied for US grad schools but I don’t live there. So I am thinking if I might then have fewer chances to get asked for interviews. Anyone who got interviews can let me know? Thanks!

My field is contemporary. Applied for Princeton, Yale, NYU, CUNY, Berkeley, Stanford and UCLA. The whole waiting process is very distressing!

They’re all skype or phone call. You won’t have less of a chance to interview by being abroad. 

16 hours ago, brooketrout said:

Thanks! POI is Elizabeth Childs and I was also told they thought I'd be a good candidate for the Olin Fellowship. 

31 minutes ago, Bluemonochrome said:

Thanks! I am now making all sorts of justification for me not getting any interview call lol

Still pretty early in the process. I think February will be more active :) 

Joining the discussion finally! I had my first interview for Northwestern this morning and it was wonderful. I'm really excited about the program and the sort of work the department is producing. I saw someone on the results feed asking about Northwestern interviewees' fields of interest—one of the posts for interview requests was from me and my focus is early modern!

Seems that some POIs are sending interview requests on their own terms instead the department sending them all at once? Would be interested to know research fields for folks who have listed those one-off results: Johns Hopkins, Princeton, Yale, and now Harvard as of this morning.

Edited by renforall

On 1/14/2020 at 3:13 PM, venusofwillendork said:

hi, just for my own brain (and for future forum users) here's what I've seen so far in this 2020 application season:

• Northwestern - Interviews sent (in bulk, not from a single POI -- I'm guessing, since there were 4 on the results page)
  • Stanford - Interviews sent (in bulk, not from a single POI -- implied by @lkjhg in another thread)
  • WashU - an interview sent (from POI - not sure if in bulk, not sure if all will be interviewed to be accepted)
  • UNC (MA) - acceptance sent
  • Emory - Interviews sent (possibly in bulk, since there are 2 on the results page)
  • Yale - MAY send info on interviews in late Jan (but possibly other contact sooner according to @Modconart; not sure if some or all candidates get interviewed!)

Anything missing/wrong?  Anything to add?  Good luck all!!!

Congratulations on your UNC acceptance! I was also accepted :) had a skype interview about a week ago with the grad committee, it went well but was intimidating for me not gonna lie. I'm interested in working with Dr. String

9 minutes ago, renforall said:

Joining the discussion finally! I had my first interview for Northwestern this morning and it was wonderful. I'm really excited about the program and the sort of work the department is producing. I saw someone on the results feed asking about Northwestern interviewees' fields of interest—one of the posts for interview requests was from me and my focus is early modern!

Seems that some POIs are sending interview requests on their own terms instead the department sending them all at once? Would be interested to know research fields for folks who have listed those one-off results: Johns Hopkins, Princeton, Yale, and now Harvard as of this morning.

Princeton I am also curious about. Yale was not an interview per se, the poster clarified this above. Congrats on the great interview at Northwestern.

3 hours ago, ncan360 said:

Princeton I am also curious about. Yale was not an interview per se, the poster clarified this above. Congrats on the great interview at Northwestern.

Thank you!

Might follow up on my previous statement also to ask about the USC decision that's been posted. Is anyone claiming this? It's one of my top choices and I hadn't expected that they'd be sending decisions this early.

15 hours ago, renforall said:

Thank you!

Might follow up on my previous statement also to ask about the USC decision that's been posted. Is anyone claiming this? It's one of my top choices and I hadn't expected that they'd be sending decisions this early.

Hi @renforall, I haven't self-reported yet, but I also received an acceptance to USC and wanted to clue you in.  The DGS said that acceptances are early this year because the department needs to focus on their search for a new African Diaspora and/or Latin American tenure-track position. Personally, I think this new position had a lot to do with my acceptance, because I focus on the colonial Caribbean. 

Best of luck with Northwestern and the rest of your schools.  I obviously don't know much about your area of interest beyond being in the early modern, but it's so great that you had an affirming conversation at Northwestern - they have killer early modern faculty and is such an exciting place for critical theory :)

1 hour ago, AriSeal said:

Hi @renforall, I haven't self-reported yet, but I also received an acceptance to USC and wanted to clue you in.  The DGS said that acceptances are early this year because the department needs to focus on their search for a new African Diaspora and/or Latin American tenure-track position. Personally, I think this new position had a lot to do with my acceptance, because I focus on the colonial Caribbean. 

Best of luck with Northwestern and the rest of your schools.  I obviously don't know much about your area of interest beyond being in the early modern, but it's so great that you had an affirming conversation at Northwestern - they have killer early modern faculty and is such an exciting place for critical theory :)

Good to know, and thanks for your response/well wishes. Congratulations on your acceptance! USC has a wonderful program—do you foresee yourself attending?

A bit disheartened not to have heard anything as I’m assuming they don’t deliver acceptances across several days, but that’s how these things go, I suppose!

updating my previous post, and again these are not my results, but just what i've seen across the forum and results page! 

there are a few bolded: Stanford, Yale, Johns Hopkins, Princeton, and Harvard -- if that was your result listed, would you mind sharing about your area of interest/POI or if it was an official vs. unofficial contact? (based on what ppl have asked so far in the thread!!

• Northwestern - Interviews sent (in bulk, from POIs and DGS)
  • Stanford - Interviews sent (in bulk, not from a single POI)
  • WashU - acceptances sent (email, POIs KK and EC)
  • UNC (MA) - acceptance sent (POI TS) / rejections sent 
  • Emory - Interviews sent (possibly in bulk, since there are 2 on the results page)
  • Yale - MAY send info on interviews in late Jan (we've clarifed that the interview listed was not an official interview)
  • Johns Hopkins - unofficial contact from POI
  • Princeton - one interview listed on Results (anyone want to claim or provide info on area of interest or POI?)
  • UC Irvine - interview via PI (email)
  • UC Berkeley - interview via PI (email)
  • Bard - interview (email)
  • Rice University - interview (email)
  • Harvard - one interview listed on Results (anyone want to claim or provide info on area of interest or POI?)
  • USC - acceptances sent (call from DGS) / rejections not sent (I assume, because I applied!)

:) best of luck to everyone!

8 minutes ago, Modconart said:

Thanks so much for this list @venusofwillendork ! Looks like the Berkeley interviews might be sent out in bulk as well? There are 3 posted on the results page.

that would make sense @Modconart!  although at least two of them said they received the request from their POI (rather than a DGS) so they might be all sending at once, but from POIs?  who knows!  all we can do is wait ❤️