There is hope for low gpa

I have spent many hours looking at GradCafe seeing is there was hope for a low gpa to get into grad school for Speech Therapy. I am beyond happy to announce that I got accepted right out of undergrad into Adelphi this up coming fall semester. My gpa is a 2.9 and pretty average GRE scores. If you are worried and stressing out, I promise it will come to you! Look up schools with higher acceptance rates and play a numbers game!

Congrats on your acceptance! I totally agree with this. I had an overall GPA of a 3.1 and average GRE scores as well and I was able to get into ENMU so it can definitely happen. For anyone else with low GPA’s just make sure you do your research. Edfind will definitely be your best friend when trying to decide where to apply and just stay determined and positive. Best of luck to everyone! 

3 hours ago, houserg2 said:

I have spent many hours looking at GradCafe seeing is there was hope for a low gpa to get into grad school for Speech Therapy. I am beyond happy to announce that I got accepted right out of undergrad into Adelphi this up coming fall semester. My gpa is a 2.9 and pretty average GRE scores. If you are worried and stressing out, I promise it will come to you! Look up schools with higher acceptance rates and play a numbers game!

That's awesome news! How many programs did you apply to? 

4 hours ago, houserg2 said:

Congratulations!!! I am doing the second BS program for Comm Dis at USU just to help my GPA because I blew it in undergrad x.x It's nice to hear some positive news.

8 hours ago, Jess3863 said:

Congratulations!!! I am doing the second BS program for Comm Dis at USU just to help my GPA because I blew it in undergrad x.x It's nice to hear some positive news.

Hey!! For what it's worth, I did the same thing - wasted my undergrad (got a 3.1, yikes) but then did USU's second bachelor's program! I worked super hard in those classes to get A's, and then went out of my way to get experience in the field. Even saddled with that low undergrad GPA, I've been accepted to multiple schools this cycle! So keep at it!

20 hours ago, houserg2 said:

Yes there is hope. Last year I applied to 15 schools during my 5th year and did not get in anywhere I was waitlisted at like 5 schools. I was applying with like a 2.85 during that time. So after I graduated I had had two C's from major classes and retook those to classes and got an overall of 2.93. Then this year I got accepted into my dream school. Just got to keep trying. My overall was horrible but my major GPA was a 3.64 and the Last 60 was a 3.50 GPA. Most schools look at the last 60 GPA and major GPA honestly.

That's awesome!!! Congrats! I was so stressed out this past year about getting in, I truly didn't think it was going to happen. I am honestly so happy to have gotten into one and be on waitlists, because I did not expect that to happen! You have to trust that if you didn't get in somewhere, it wasn't meant to be for whatever reason and there is a better time or place whatever the situation may be. 

On 3/31/2019 at 8:54 PM, houserg2 said:

Hi! First of all, CONGRATS on getting in! I can't imagine how excited you are. What do you feel helped you make up for your low GPA? 

My signature list the schools I was accepted to. I had to go out my "comfort" zone and apply to schools that cost a ton or out of my immediate area. I live in Los Angeles and there's no way I could have applied to CA schools only. Oh, and my cumulative GPA is low!