When to give up? SLP Grad School

17 hours ago, Mikaela25 said:

This is my 4th time applying to grad school. I have been wait listed or denied everywhere I have applied for the last 4 years. For 3 of the 4 years I have worked and tried to do something in the field of speech pathology or close to it. I was a teachers aide for one year and the last 2 years I have worked in Florida at a middle school under a provisional license as a SLP maintaining a caseload of 70 students, writing IEP's, completing evaluations, working with AAC, etc. I had all the roles and responsibilities of a Masters Level SLP, but I was under the provisional license. I've had strong letters of recommendation written for me, I'd like to think my statement of purpose was strong as I had it edited by tons and tons of SLP's in the school district I am working in currently. In undergrad I was involved in CSD groups, had a job through the university mentoring incoming CSD freshman. My cumulative GPA was a 3.2, my GRE was verbal- 145, qualitative- 145, writing- 4. I am so frustrated being denied over and over again. When do you throw in the towel and say this just isn't meant for me? Although, it is also your biggest passion. 

You have amazing scores and resume. Have you tried the University of Mississippi, Mississippi University for Women, University of Alabama,  or University of Memphis? I think you will have good shot at those schools. I have friends who applied there last year and this year and had similar stats and less experience than you.

I'm not sure how out of state you are willing to try, but Concordia University Wisconsin is starting a new program that just became accredited this Spring. They have rolling admissions if they do not have enough of the priority applications. May want to check it out?  They are not on ASHA Ed Find but I found it on their website. I am from Wisconsin and love that campus! 

https://www.cuw.edu/academics/programs/speech-language-pathology-masters/index.html#admissions

Edited by koalalover1

11 minutes ago, koalalover1 said:

I'm not sure how out of state you are willing to try, but Concordia University Wisconsin is starting a new program that just became accredited this Spring. They have rolling admissions if they do not have enough of the priority applications. May want to check it out?  They are not on ASHA Ed Find but I found it on their website. I am from Wisconsin and love that campus! 

https://www.cuw.edu/academics/programs/speech-language-pathology-masters/index.html#admissions

ughh yesss! I am 100% applying and willing to move. THANK YOU TIMES A MILLION?

38 minutes ago, KelsHud said:

You have amazing scores and resume. Have you tried the University of Mississippi, Mississippi University for Women, University of Alabama,  or University of Memphis? I think you will have good shot at those schools. I have friends who applied there last year and this year and had similar stats and less experience than you.

Thank you so so much! Although I think I am average at best, I'd like to think my resume is pretty decent.  I am going to look these all up now, I appreciate you!☺️

Edited by Mikaela25

38 minutes ago, Mikaela25 said:

ughh yesss! I am 100% applying and willing to move. THANK YOU TIMES A MILLION?

Keep me posted!! I am from Wisconsin so I can definitely help you if you ever need opinions or anything!! 

13 minutes ago, koalalover1 said:

Keep me posted!! I am from Wisconsin so I can definitely help you if you ever need opinions or anything!! 

So I completed the basic part of the application, but the next page (supporting documents page) is sort of confusing.. It's asking me to upload my letters of recommendation? Usually those are to be sent to the school themselves? So am i supposed to get the letters of rec and upload them myself?

5 minutes ago, Mikaela25 said:

So I completed the basic part of the application, but the next page (supporting documents page) is sort of confusing.. It's asking me to upload my letters of recommendation? Usually those are to be sent to the school themselves? So am i supposed to get the letters of rec and upload them myself?

Do you have copies of them? You could just scan them to your email or laptop and upload from there. I didn't apply there but that's what it sounds like to me? Plus then you could keep your copies and send them out if need be. 

On 4/5/2019 at 1:21 PM, Mikaela25 said:

have your letter writers send them to graduate.admission@cuw.edu  then concordia will attach them to your application 

You should definitely apply to UCF. Your stats are similar to people who have gotten accepted and you have a shot at being admitted in Spring/Summer (they are more lenient with stats during those semesters). I know you don't want to but you should consider taking the GRE again and purchasing Magoosh to get your scores up. Because of your 3.2 GPA you are going to have to offset that with way better GRE scores, at least the minimum combined score of 300 that most schools ask for. If I were you I wouldn't give up so soon, I think a big mistake some people make is that they are simply resubmitting the same application that was denied from previous years. When reapplying you need to look at every aspect of your application and make changes in all areas even if that means new recommenders, restarting your essay from scratch, studying for and retaking the GRE etc. Also I don't think retaking courses is necessary in your situation because you have above a 3.0.

Personally I would not give up, but change my strategy. I am not sure if applying abroad is an option for you but it is definitely worth considering if you can do it. USA has some of the most stringent admission standards in the world and there are many students who study abroad and come back to work here.

On 4/5/2019 at 12:01 AM, psizemore said:

Your GRE is WAY TOO LOW. Retake it! Surely you can get at least a 150+ on the Verbal section.

EDIT: Your score is only good for 5 years anyway! Study, study, study and retake it!

I agree with this advice. If you really want to get in and not give up, you need to do what it takes to raise your score. Take a test prep course if you have not already done so - it can significantly boost your score.

Don’t give up! I told everyone that I wasn’t going to apply again if I wasn’t accepted this cycle, I really did become frustrated and upset with all of the rejections the years before. This is the third year that I have applied and I finally got accepted to Abilene Christian University (Dallas campus) and was waitlisted at the University of North Texas and Texas Woman’s University. I luckily got accepted off the waitlist for TWU, and have accepted their offer, but my stats are pretty similar to yours with both low gre/gpa scores. I took a different approach with my statement of purpose this time around and I think it really did help. I also have only been working as an slpa for a little over a year, but worked at an autism center before becoming an slpa. I would definitely consider applying to ACU (Dallas campus) for the next cycle, their requirements aren’t as high as other schools and they require an interview which I believed helped my chances. 

Edited by Nataliaspeech

Everyone already mentioned some great things on here. I think the only thing I would add is to make sure when writing your personal statement, make sure to mention a couple professors/faculty members you would like to work with/learn from if accepted into the program and how they're projects line up with your focus. Oh, and if you have interviews, make sure to think of a few good questions you would like to know about the program. Because, for me, I was so nervous that it just worked better. If this is your passion, you have many cheerleaders just wishing you luck. That's one of my favorite things about this profession, the people! :P 

On 4/8/2019 at 1:51 AM, slptobe! said:

Everyone already mentioned some great things on here. I think the only thing I would add is to make sure when writing your personal statement, make sure to mention a couple professors/faculty members you would like to work with/learn from if accepted into the program and how they're projects line up with your focus. Oh, and if you have interviews, make sure to think of a few good questions you would like to know about the program. Because, for me, I was so nervous that it just worked better. If this is your passion, you have many cheerleaders just wishing you luck. That's one of my favorite things about this profession, the people! :P 

thank you! y'all make it worth it for sure ❤️ 

On 4/7/2019 at 11:27 PM, Nataliaspeech said:

Don’t give up! I told everyone that I wasn’t going to apply again if I wasn’t accepted this cycle, I really did become frustrated and upset with all of the rejections the years before. This is the third year that I have applied and I finally got accepted to Abilene Christian University (Dallas campus) and was waitlisted at the University of North Texas and Texas Woman’s University. I luckily got accepted off the waitlist for TWU, and have accepted their offer, but my stats are pretty similar to yours with both low gre/gpa scores. I took a different approach with my statement of purpose this time around and I think it really did help. I also have only been working as an slpa for a little over a year, but worked at an autism center before becoming an slpa. I would definitely consider applying to ACU (Dallas campus) for the next cycle, their requirements aren’t as high as other schools and they require an interview which I believed helped my chances. 

Definitely adding some of these schools to my list. I'm currently looking to possibly become an SLPA in Texas and give the applying process one last try. I've never been to Texas, any good areas you recommend? What was your SLPA experience like?

On 4/8/2019 at 7:00 AM, DancingThroughLife said:

Valdosta State University (Valdosta, GA) has rolling admission for fall, spring, summer! I am from Georgia and VSU is generally known as a less competitive option.

South Carolina State University has a later application deadline and might be an option too. 

thank you!! I hear about Valdosta all the time living in Jacksonville. I looked up South Carolina State's website and printed off their application (talk about old school haha) they are still paper based. I appreciate the suggestion :) 

On 4/7/2019 at 3:02 PM, smarieSLP2b said:

You should definitely apply to UCF. Your stats are similar to people who have gotten accepted and you have a shot at being admitted in Spring/Summer (they are more lenient with stats during those semesters). I know you don't want to but you should consider taking the GRE again and purchasing Magoosh to get your scores up. Because of your 3.2 GPA you are going to have to offset that with way better GRE scores, at least the minimum combined score of 300 that most schools ask for. If I were you I wouldn't give up so soon, I think a big mistake some people make is that they are simply resubmitting the same application that was denied from previous years. When reapplying you need to look at every aspect of your application and make changes in all areas even if that means new recommenders, restarting your essay from scratch, studying for and retaking the GRE etc. Also I don't think retaking courses is necessary in your situation because you have above a 3.0.

I'll look into UCF. I appreciate your suggestions! Thank you :) 

On 4/6/2019 at 6:30 PM, cakcak said:

Another school you could look at if you apply next cycle is Cal U In Pennsylvania (California University of PA)! 

thank you!! I'll add it to my list :)