MPH 2020 Canada

Jill98

12 minutes ago, NatalieReina said:

Has anyone gotten in from a BC University waitlist yet? Or know of anyone who has? I'm wondering if they've started accepting people from them yet. Any insight would be greatly appreciated! 

Idk of any yet, I’m on the UBC MPH waitlist and haven’t heard of anyone being taken off the waitlist yet. 

42 minutes ago, chikoleeds said:

I've been a silent lurker this entire time and was one of the ones who got rejected from UofA on April 20. Just received admission to the University of Saskatchewan by email! For their distance program. 

I'm in the same boat! Has CGPS already approved your admission? 

On 4/25/2020 at 2:07 AM, haruwayuku said:

Sure! Around a 3.9 GPA in a BSc at Western, various extracurriculars (your typical undergrad exec stuff - VP of 3 clubs to be exact), 2 publications (not first author), 0 presentations, 0 "real-life" public health experience. Did research for about 2 years looking at relevant stuff though (determinants of health and chronic disease epidemiology). Additionally, I also submitted GRE results (around 132 V and 140 Q I think) but they really don't take that into consideration so I wouldn't worry too much about writing it unless you're planning to go to the US. Let me know if you have any other questions :)

Thanks so much for sharing, I appreciate it! Is that GPA your final year GPA or your cumulative GPA? Do you have any advice on how to craft a good letter of intent for this program and specifically this stream, and who did you use as references if you don't mind me asking? :D  Also, do you have a linkedin profile (you don't have to share if you feel uncomfortable to do so).

Edited by Excel725

31 minutes ago, CatMother said:

I'm in the same boat! Has CGPS already approved your admission? 

Nope not yet, I just replied to the email where they stated they'll be recommending my application to CGPS and I must reply by May 4 to accept my seat. 

What about you?

Hi all, I have been a lurker for a while now and found out that I am on the waitlist for UofA Epidemiology! Would anyone be willing to share when their deadline to accept was for UofA? Or has anyone heard anything about the waitlist? 

1 hour ago, chikoleeds said:

Nope not yet, I just replied to the email where they stated they'll be recommending my application to CGPS and I must reply by May 4 to accept my seat. 

What about you?

I got the email on the 14th and accepted my seat on the 20th, I havent heard anything yet though. From what I understand ita just to make sure you meet the minimum requirements so I'm not too worried. Congrats in your acceptance though :)

2 hours ago, m_ella said:

Hi all, I have been a lurker for a while now and found out that I am on the waitlist for UofA Epidemiology! Would anyone be willing to share when their deadline to accept was for UofA? Or has anyone heard anything about the waitlist? 

Congrats! I got an offer for UofA epi on March 23rd but declined it and I think the deadline to accept was 2 weeks later? I can't see it anymore bc i declined and it wasn't stated in the offer letter.

4 hours ago, Excel725 said:

Thanks so much for sharing, I appreciate it! Is that GPA your final year GPA or your cumulative GPA? Do you have any advice on how to craft a good letter of intent for this program and specifically this stream, and who did you use as references if you don't mind me asking? :D  Also, do you have a linkedin profile (you don't have to share if you feel uncomfortable to do so).

Aha wait I just realized: I got 162V and 170Q, not that it makes any difference though tbh xd 

The GPA was all of my 3rd and 4th year credits at the time since they look at your last 5.0 senior credits (3rd and 4th year courses). If they included 1st and 2nd year courses, it probably would've been higher. Just a note, if you don't have enough senior credits to fill up the 5.0 they'll take it from a 1st or 2nd year course (provided you only have to fill like 1 or 2).

I think NovaTerra gave pretty good advice about the letter of intent. Address any shortcomings in your academic life and how you tackled them, talk about key experiences in your CV (preferably oriented towards epi or stats, determinants of health, data analysis, etc.).   

For my references, I used my undergrad research project supervisor and a prof who's taught 3 of my senior classes (class sizes were small so we've interacted quite a bit). 

Haha I don't have a linkedin unfortunately ? Although, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to make one soon. 

Edited by haruwayuku

4 hours ago, CatMother said:

I got the email on the 14th and accepted my seat on the 20th, I havent heard anything yet though. From what I understand ita just to make sure you meet the minimum requirements so I'm not too worried. Congrats in your acceptance though :)

They just replied to my confirmation email and said CGPS will review my application. Hopefully you're right, I'm still nervous. Let's keep in touch once we hear back and congratulations to you too!

16 minutes ago, chikoleeds said:

They just replied to my confirmation email and said CGPS will review my application. Hopefully you're right, I'm still nervous. Let's keep in touch once we hear back and congratulations to you too!

I know the feeling! And thanks, I'll shoot you a DM when I hear from them ?

Hello All,

Been following this thread for a while now.

I have been offered a spot for MPH at Western and U of Sask; acceptance deadline is 15th May and 4th May, resp.

Still waiting on McMaster's global health program. Rejected from U of A global health.