NDSEG 2019-2020

SFS

Just now, somethingsimple said:

ARO Biosciences, last update 4/7

People posting "data points" should just update the excel sheet. I believe it's around page 46 or 47 of this forum 

Edited by Koenig

45 minutes ago, robertac93 said:

The number of 4/16 updates is already high enough that it is above the expected 5% award rate, so he could very well be correct.

I would be careful about this, and about interpreting any data from that sheet strictly, just because there is likely a selection bias in who decides to fill out.

I'm gonna take this time to plug an awesome project that is trying to bring young students (middle/high school) into STEM fields by giving them a place to publish research! It's an awesome way to use our knowledge and skills to develop the next generation. It's called Journal of Emerging Investigators (https://www.emerginginvestigators.org/) and was started by a group of researchers at Harvard Medical School. They are always looking for volunteers to review papers. It's super easy and is a good opportunity to add a 'service' component to your CV...

18 minutes ago, helloFromLongTimeLurker said:

My latest update is 12/6 (day I submitted). Anyone have thoughts on that?

I'm 12/5. It's interesting how some people have their last update around 12/20-23. while some like us have our last updates before the due date. If the dates meant selection rounds, then it makes sense that there'd be an initial cutoff for GPA screening and such. But what does it mean for us? Did we just screw up our applications somehow and we didn't even make it to an initial round? Were our BAAs/disciplines just not up for funding? It's a mystery. 

Just now, pchemp said:

I'm 12/5. It's interesting how some people have their last update around 12/20-23. while some like us have our last updates before the due date. If the dates meant selection rounds, then it makes sense that there'd be an initial cutoff for GPA screening and such. But what does it mean for us? Did we just screw up our applications somehow and we didn't even make it to an initial round? Were our BAAs/disciplines just not up for funding? It's a mystery. 

This is why I suspect it might just be the system being funky and that they might mean less than we suspect

Just now, pchemp said:

It would be incredibly shitty if a bunch of us applied to BAA's that didn't even have funding - I really hope it's not that, for all of our sakes. I guess we will find out soon (hopefully) what, if anything, the dates mean. As of right now, I truly can't tell. It would make sense that the later your update, the further you made it, but the size of ~December Gang~ makes it seem like this may not necessarily be the case.