2020 Computational Biology/Bioinformatics/Systems Biology PhD Admissions

rcon

4 hours ago, dogmom2012 said:

Did you apply to the bioinformatics program? Last I heard from them they were considering an alternate weekend from feb 14-15 but I haven’t heard back :( 

Yes I did. My email didn’t say anything about the 14-15 so I’m not sure if this is the alternate date? I wish I had made the list for the weekend instead of the Wednesday one, but I’m still happy to be invited at all. Maybe try reaching out to see what their status is?

22 minutes ago, rcon said:

Yes I did. My email didn’t say anything about the 14-15 so I’m not sure if this is the alternate date? I wish I had made the list for the weekend instead of the Wednesday one, but I’m still happy to be invited at all. Maybe try reaching out to see what their status is?

Thanks, yeah I’ll reach out to see what’s up. We’re talking about Boston university right? 

6 minutes ago, thelilypad said:

Just got invited for the PhD interview at Carnegie Mellon! Wraps up my app cycle. 

Good luck everyone!

Congratulations! Also, we need all the luck we can get! :D

Edited by BioBoy0323

59 minutes ago, thelilypad said:

Just got invited for the PhD interview at Carnegie Mellon! Wraps up my app cycle. 

Good luck everyone!

Congrats! Was it personalized or a mass email? Just wondering if I still have a chance until the end of the day :)

1 minute ago, pangenome said:

Congrats! Was it personalized or a mass email? Just wondering if I still have a chance until the end of the day :)

Slightly personalized, but definitely had a mass email vibe. Good luck! I was honestly super surprised by the responses I've got, given my lack of formal research experience since freshman year. I think they consider industry experience carrying more weight than I thought (or really liked my startup idea haha).

1 minute ago, BioBoy0323 said:

I just msged MIT CSB got this:

I sincerely apologize for the wait.

Applications are still under review. We will provide an update by next week. Thank you for your patience.

WOIEOJIFEWIOJEFWJIOSDHFHSDOIFHSODF

I want my rejection people!! ?

18 minutes ago, thelilypad said:

Slightly personalized, but definitely had a mass email vibe. Good luck! I was honestly super surprised by the responses I've got, given my lack of formal research experience since freshman year. I think they consider industry experience carrying more weight than I thought (or really liked my startup idea haha).

Congrats and thank you! Fingers crossed :)

@andromeda12 @VirtualCell

Did the MIT CSB give you a dead line to respond if you are going to interview with them or not?

I am just wondering if they are seeing if the first wave of invitees are going to come or not before they invite more.

Edited by BioBoy0323

Just now, BioBoy0323 said:

@andromeda12 @VirtualCell

Did the MIT CSB give you a dead line to respond if you are going to interview with them or not?

I am just wondering if they are seeing if the first wave of invitees are going to come or not before they invite more.

The deadline to respond to the invite was Jan 17, so if you're right I'm guessing you'll hear back tomorrow.

16 minutes ago, andromeda12 said:

The deadline to respond to the invite was Jan 17, so if you're right I'm guessing you'll hear back tomorrow.

What surprises me is that hardly no one reported their invites in Gradcafe results (I am not sure on the sample size we have here). I see that 2019 was also very unreported compared to the other years. I am just trying to grasp how many invites they sent out already. From what I can tell, they take like 25 people to interview per year (going by people who asked the question before).

Edited by BioBoy0323

Still hoping for a positive result from MIT CSB....but their interview dates conflict with UW so I hope they notify us tomorrow!

Honestly I'll be happy if I get an interview with CSB or BE because I want to go visit my summer PI and thank her for dealing with me..

4 hours ago, bookitter said:

Can I ask if it is a personal email? Haven't heard anything yet and wanted to know if I still have a chance. :(

Seemed like a mass email, sorry :( I don't know if they send them in waves though, so I wouldn't rule it out until March 4 (when interviews start).

Anyone get any news from MIT CSB? (besides those who heard back last week)

This delay is making me think that a few people might have rejected the interview and that they are trying to find some good applicants to invites instead (IDK just guessing). It also could be that they are working on grants or something (IK the sheer number of applicants this year might slow it down as well)

Edited by BioBoy0323

8 hours ago, pangenome said:

Seemed like a mass email, sorry :( I don't know if they send them in waves though, so I wouldn't rule it out until March 4 (when interviews start).

Thanks. I just got a rejection email...:( Guess don't need to wait until March. Good luck with your interviews!

Got rejected from mit csb

email:

Thank you for your application to the MIT Computational & Systems Biology Graduate Program. As a small interdepartmental program that admits 6-8 students a year we have had a record number of over 370 applications from highly qualified applicants this year like yourself. We regret that we are unable to offer you a place in our program at this time.

We greatly appreciate your interest in our program, and wish you the best of luck in pursuing your education.  Please note that we are unable to provide you with individual feedback on your application. Thank you for your time and your patience.

Sincerely,

The MIT Computational & Systems Biology Graduate Admissions Committee

Edited by BioBoy0323