2020 Computational Biology/Bioinformatics/Systems Biology PhD Admissions

rcon

1 hour ago, VirtualCell said:

That was me! I'm also not sure if all invites were sent, but I got an email yesterday at 6:59 PM for interviews on either February 7th or February 28th.

My friend's PI was on the committee and was complaining about how they had ~400 applications for ~6 spots. I'm really shocked and grateful that they sent me an interview--but I feel like, with that many applications, there has to be even more stochasticity than in most. 

I got an invite to MIT CSB at exactly the same time too

I have a feeling that most were sent out for the mit csb yesterday. They might send some more today, but idk :(.  I think we will get our rejection letters tomorrow or Friday probably.

but best of luck everyone.

Edited by BioBoy0323

17 hours ago, rcon said:

Has anyone heard from BU yet? Seemed like they send out invites later based on previous year’s posts but figured I’d ask.

Is it safe to assume Yale CBB and Columbia DBMI are done sending out at this point? 

If you asked about the bioinformatics program at BU, it seems like someone got invite on Monday regarding to the result page. I am still waiting for hearing back from BU, but I don't have to much hope with that.

Edited by EmilyEmilyEmily

21 hours ago, thelilypad said:

I just got invited to Stanford BMI Phd interview!

15 hours ago, pangenome said:

Just got one from Stanford BMI also!

Is it likely that Stanford BMI interviews are done being sent out? Seems like for the majority of schools they send out an email at the same time to everyone.

4 hours ago, VirtualCell said:

That was me! I'm also not sure if all invites were sent, but I got an email yesterday at 6:59 PM for interviews on either February 7th or February 28th.

My friend's PI was on the committee and was complaining about how they had ~400 applications for ~6 spots. I'm really shocked and grateful that they sent me an interview--but I feel like, with that many applications, there has to be even more stochasticity than in most. 

Very interesting numbers. Less than 2% for just an interview seems quite competitive. I'd be interested to know if anyone has information on how these numbers compare to programs such as Harvard BIG, Yale CBB, Stanford BMI.

20 hours ago, rcon said:

Has anyone heard from BU yet? Seemed like they send out invites later based on previous year’s posts but figured I’d ask.

Is it safe to assume Yale CBB and Columbia DBMI are done sending out at this point? 

I got an invite from BU Bioinformatics on Monday. The open house is Feb 14-15 which conflicts with my UNC interview so I’m hoping they have an alternate weekend.  

Just now, mcatamur said:

Has anyone heard from Stanford Cancer Biology (Computational Track) yet?

Was wondering if anyone else in this thread applied to that. Seemed like in past years it came out the 15th, and people on the Stanford page are asking if anyone has heard. I'm also still waiting on that, if anyone has heard. Also got rejected from MIT bio today if that is useful to anyone

21 hours ago, VirtualCell said:

Do you happen to know if your friend said they were done sending out invites? I know you said you did not know above, but just curious.

Edited by BioBoy0323

19 hours ago, mat10d said:

Was wondering if anyone else in this thread applied to that. Seemed like in past years it came out the 15th, and people on the Stanford page are asking if anyone has heard. I'm also still waiting on that, if anyone has heard. Also got rejected from MIT bio today if that is useful to anyone

Still no news. Hmmm I'm starting to think maybe they sent out only a few invites but no one who is an active grad cafe user heard back. I also checked twitter and reddit just in case lol someone send help!

57 minutes ago, mcatamur said:

Still no news. Hmmm I'm starting to think maybe they sent out only a few invites but no one who is an active grad cafe user heard back. I also checked twitter and reddit just in case lol someone send help!

I'm starting to think this too. From what some POIs have told me at school's I've gotten interview's at there seems to have been an increase in the number of applicants at many places over all this year, probably in part due to the waived GRE becoming more common. Also the pool of interviewees at stanford is so small i wouldn't be surprised if none of the ppl who got one was on here lol (or they are running late lmao at this point im just trying to be an optimist)  

1 hour ago, balisticFeanor said:

I'm starting to think this too. From what some POIs have told me at school's I've gotten interview's at there seems to have been an increase in the number of applicants at many places over all this year, probably in part due to the waived GRE becoming more common. Also the pool of interviewees at stanford is so small i wouldn't be surprised if none of the ppl who got one was on here lol (or they are running late lmao at this point im just trying to be an optimist)  

I emailed them my transcripts a week ago (Thursday) and I got a response from the director (of cancer bio) saying thank you. That's all I know

52 minutes ago, mat10d said:

I emailed them my transcripts a week ago (Thursday) and I got a response from the director (of cancer bio) saying thank you. That's all I know

Were we supposed to email them transcripts for fall grades?

I wish everyone luck who applied to the MIT CSB program. We will find out in less than 12 hours I hope. I looked at posts from 2017 and they had said the same thing that results will be given and they ended up changing the date to the next week; I hope this does not happen!

13 hours ago, rcon said:

I heard back from BU today - invite to an open house on feb 19th!

Did you apply to the bioinformatics program? Last I heard from them they were considering an alternate weekend from feb 14-15 but I haven’t heard back :( 

26 minutes ago, gtog said:

Just got an interview invite for CMU CPCB (the email also gave the feel like the interview was more of an "open house" where you are probably going to be accepted)

Congrats!