2020 Computational Biology/Bioinformatics/Systems Biology PhD Admissions

rcon

59 minutes ago, splitmcsplit said:

I just finished interviewing there. They actually don't split up by sub-program so invites go out to everyone in general rather than by sub-program. You're not applying to bioinformatics, for example -- you are applying to biomedical sciences (even though you need to specify a concentration on the application, which isn't set in stone and can be changed).

I would guess they are done inviting but there's a small chance because there is a third interview weekend and they could send out a few more invites. However, if you are an international student, that could work differently and they're one of the schools that does take a sizable amount of international students.

Can I ask how your interviews went? I saw the schedule, but it’s my first one and I’m pretty nervous for all those faculty interviews back to back. Any tips?

18 hours ago, rcon said:

Can I ask how your interviews went? I saw the schedule, but it’s my first one and I’m pretty nervous for all those faculty interviews back to back. Any tips?

Other than if I happened to talk to who you interview with, I can't offer specific advice that wouldn't apply to interviews anywhere else. Know your work to be able to talk about it and answer questions about it, know why you want to go to that school, why you want to do a PhD, etc. I've heard that a few interviewers asked odd subjective questions, but there's just no way to prepare for that and it's really just an assessment of how well you can think on your feet and answer questions you don't have a pre-prepared answer for.

In all four interviews, I was barely asked anything at all and spent the whole time asking them questions about their work. But, that's not the case with everyone.

On 1/11/2020 at 8:13 PM, splitmcsplit said:

I just finished interviewing there. They actually don't split up by sub-program so invites go out to everyone in general rather than by sub-program. You're not applying to bioinformatics, for example -- you are applying to biomedical sciences (even though you need to specify a concentration on the application, which isn't set in stone and can be changed).

I would guess they are done inviting but there's a small chance because there is a third interview weekend and they could send out a few more invites. However, if you are an international student, that could work differently and they're one of the schools that does take a sizable amount of international students.

Thank your for this information, do you have any idea about when is the third interview weekend, from the result page I can find Jan 9-10 and Jan 23-24 could be the first and second interview weekend. (Yes, I am a international student and still with my hope to there)

And a good luck with the application!

24 minutes ago, EmilyEmilyEmily said:

Thank your for this information, do you have any idea about when is the third interview weekend, from the result page I can find Jan 9-10 and Jan 23-24 could be the first and second interview weekend. (Yes, I am a international student and still with my hope to there)

And a good luck with the application!

I don't know. It's sometime in February. It sounded like it was for students who couldn't make the other two weekends (they described it as an overflow weekend) and was smaller than the first two.

As I said, I suspect they've sent out all invites already. I would just email admissions as they're pretty forthcoming with information compared to other places.

1 hour ago, splitmcsplit said:

I don't know. It's sometime in February. It sounded like it was for students who couldn't make the other two weekends (they described it as an overflow weekend) and was smaller than the first two.

As I said, I suspect they've sent out all invites already. I would just email admissions as they're pretty forthcoming with information compared to other places.

got it! thank you!

2 hours ago, thelilypad said:

Hey all,

Did anyone get a notification from Stanford BMI for interviews yet? They said the week of Jan 6th...

I have not. I am also curious if they sent out any information to applicants.

18 hours ago, thelilypad said:

Hey all,

Did anyone get a notification from Stanford BMI for interviews yet? They said the week of Jan 6th...

15 hours ago, yakyu said:

I also haven't yet.

On 1/13/2020 at 4:05 PM, thelilypad said:

Hey all,

21 hours ago, yakyu said:

6 hours ago, pangenome said:

I also haven't yet.

I reached out to them last week and they said they will send out invites in the "coming weeks".. 

7 minutes ago, compbioinfo said:

I reached out to them last week and they said they will send out invites in the "coming weeks".. 

In the Stanford 2020 page they (BMI) said they will start this week ?

Edit: specification 

Edited by microbiome_bum

Has anyone heard from BU yet? Seemed like they send out invites later based on previous year’s posts but figured I’d ask.

Is it safe to assume Yale CBB and Columbia DBMI are done sending out at this point? 

2 hours ago, rcon said:

Has anyone heard from BU yet? Seemed like they send out invites later based on previous year’s posts but figured I’d ask.

Is it safe to assume Yale CBB and Columbia DBMI are done sending out at this point? 

Columbia DBMI starts interviews next week, so I would say yes ?

32 minutes ago, compbioinfo said:

on the results page it seems like someone got invite... not sure if all the invites were sent 

That was me! I'm also not sure if all invites were sent, but I got an email yesterday at 6:59 PM for interviews on either February 7th or February 28th.

My friend's PI was on the committee and was complaining about how they had ~400 applications for ~6 spots. I'm really shocked and grateful that they sent me an interview--but I feel like, with that many applications, there has to be even more stochasticity than in most. 

Edited by VirtualCell