2020 Computational Biology/Bioinformatics/Systems Biology PhD Admissions

rcon

35 minutes ago, naturalweasel said:

I have a BS in biomedical engineering, been in genomics research for three years and I've co-authored 5 publications. US citizen.

I think the main thing with UW was that I had a connection through a postdoc I met at a Hackathon a few years ago, she got me in touch with a bunch of PIs there. I have a very smart friend with similar background and research experience who applied to UW and didn't get an interview, I don't really understand why I would and she wouldn't since she's been in a *very* good lab for the last three years (but she did get an interview at Hopkins already)

That's pretty crazy. Sounds like they rejected 5000 (not real, exaggeration..) people this year. Did you do mostly computational or wetlab research? I'm CS+Bio double major but never done any serious wetlab. 
Jay Shendure and Cole Trapnell are probably my biggest reasons for applying to UW.

Edited by kataegis

10 minutes ago, kataegis said:

That's pretty crazy. Sounds like they rejected 5000 people this year. Did you do mostly computational or wetlab research? I'm CS+Bio double major but never done any serious wetlab. 
Jay Shendure and Cole Trapnell are probably my biggest reasons for applying to UW.

I'm full-time computational now but I did a year in a biochem lab and I have a mix of computational and experimental experience from undergrad. A former postdoc from Cole Trapnell's lab is the one who got me in touch with him :)

Congrats on the EMBL interview btw, I would love to work there but US isn't a member state so I didn't even bother applying.

17 minutes ago, kataegis said:

That's pretty crazy. Sounds like they rejected 5000 people this year. Did you do mostly computational or wetlab research? I'm CS+Bio double major but never done any serious wetlab. 

5000! How did you get that number?!

Just now, rcon said:

Not sure if I’ve seen anyone else saying they applied here - but got an interview invite to UMass Med GSBS today!

I've applied there too ! Congrats ! Was it a mass email or a personalized one? 

8 minutes ago, Genom3 said:

I've applied there too ! Congrats ! Was it a mass email or a personalized one? 

Thanks!

Hard to tell - addressed to me, but the content was pretty generic/not specific to my application. But I saw someone else post on the results page a little while ago, and it said in the email that one of their interview date slots is already filled, so I’d guess that they’re releasing decisions in batches. The open dates left are Jan 23-24!

Kind of late to the game, but here are the school that I applied to:

- UC Berkeley, Center for Computational Biology
- UC San Francisco, Biological & Medical Informatics [on-site interview]
- UC San Diego, Bioinformatics and Systems Biology
- Stanford University, Biosciences - Genetics PhD
- University of Washington, Genome Sciences [rejected Dec. 18]
- University of Toronto, Computational Biology in Molecular Genetics Track [phone interview]
- MIT, Computational and Systems Biology

Did any of you hear back from the other institutions? Ps - good luck to you all

8 hours ago, compbio20 said:

Has anyone heard from the following programs?

Weill Cornell Tri-institutional Comp Bio program 

Harvard Systems Biology 

Not hearing back from Tri-I is going to drive me crazy. All my IRL friends are chemists and heard back last week. Maybe I just didn't make the cut, I know it's competitive.

The UW rejection got me really scared .. but folks in same boat don't be discouraged!!

• EMBL-EBI [in-person interview Dec 2]
  • University of Washington GS [rejected Dec 18]
  • UCSD BISB [Skype interview Dec 19]
  • TRI-I Comp Bio [in person interview Dec 23]
  • Havard BIG [in person interview Dec 23]
  • Stanford BMI
  • JHU CS
  • MIT CSB
  • Sanger Comp Bio

Edited by kataegis