2020 Computational Biology/Bioinformatics/Systems Biology PhD Admissions

rcon

Any advice for how to deal with conflicting interview dates? I'd like to take 4 interviews (not more than that). The UNC conflicts with the UM interview. I somewhat prefer UM, but UNC already booked the flight, and I'd rather not give up that interview anyways. Since I go to school close to UM though I won't need travel/lodging accommodations and could be quite flexible. How have you all dealt with this kind of problem?

1 hour ago, thelilypad said:

Do you know what the predicted admissions rate is from the interview? I've seen random numbers from various programs in a lot of other threads, like from nearly-100% to 20% or less.

UCSD interviewed around 30 last year and it seems as though less than 10 were accepted but it’s hard to tell for sure (because one only really knows the ones who took the offer)

Edited by jujubuju

18 minutes ago, jujubuju said:

UCSD interviewed around 30 last year and it seems as though less than 10 were accepted but it’s hard to tell for sure (because one only really knows the ones who took the offer)

If that's the case it's nearly 100% acceptance then, because their own stats say 30 people were accepted and 13 elected to attend (so the yield is around 50%).

Edited by thelilypad

8 minutes ago, thelilypad said:

If that's the case it's nearly 100% acceptance then, because their own stats say 30 people were accepted and 13 elected to attend (so the yield is around 50%).

I doubt that unless they had a lot not at the interview weekend. I know of many people at the interview weekend not accepted. 

either way, one year really has nothing to do with the other. The year before last, the accepting class was extremely large. 

5 hours ago, Vel0ciRaPTOr said:

Duke CBB Interview [12/11]

UNC Interview [12/6]

WashU St. Louis Inverview [12/18]

UM Bioinformatics Interview [12/19]

Carnegie-UPitt

UT Knoxville Genome Sciences

Yale

Cornell

Congrats! Would you mind sharing your info? like US or non-US, when did you apply, etc. I also applied for Duke CBB but haven't heard back from them...

Edited by darklings

On 12/17/2019 at 12:17 AM, thelilypad said:

Thanks! I'm not too hopeful on the PhDs, but we'll see. My worst case plan is reaching out to professors in my intended field and seeing if I could volunteer to research with them. Alternatively, I might leave my current job and try to stake it out in biotech, given my growing biology background. I do have a significant work history in software engineering, so I figure I should at least make the interviews.

Hopefully I have some edge at USC given my formal research experience under a professor is from there, I was a CS student, and two of my letter writers are current professors in CS there. I also talked to the professor I'm interested in doing research with, and he mentioned I might be a strong candidate. But it's definitely kind of scary since most of my research-y experience is under the table so to speak (aka doing it not formally but in the context of my startup).

I'm sad that this year of all years like half the programs stopped counting the GRE.

I think with a CS background you shall really have a good chance . (my major was CS too btw !). Curious to know, which professor you talked to ?

20 hours ago, kataegis said:

Anyone heard back/waiting for TRI-I CBM??

I know that the chemical biology folks have heard back about interviews but doesn't seem like computational biology has, I'm still waiting too. I'm guessing we won't hear back until after Christmas at this point.

UPenn GCB [12/10]

UW Genome Sciences [12/18]

Tri-I CBM

UMD CS

14 minutes ago, naturalweasel said:

I know that the chemical biology folks have heard back about interviews but doesn't seem like computational biology has, I'm still waiting too. I'm guessing we won't hear back until after Christmas at this point.

UPenn GCB [12/10]

UW Genome Sciences [12/18]

Tri-I CBM

UMD CS

Ok good to hear! TRI-I is one of my favorites and I currently work here. And congrats on getting UW what's your background out of curiosity?

9 minutes ago, kataegis said:

Ok good to hear! TRI-I is one of my favorites and I currently work here. And congrats on getting UW what's your background out of curiosity?

I have a BS in biomedical engineering, been in genomics research for three years and I've co-authored 5 publications. US citizen.

I think the main thing with UW was that I had a connection through a postdoc I met at a Hackathon a few years ago, she got me in touch with a bunch of PIs there. I have a very smart friend with similar background and research experience who applied to UW and didn't get an interview, I don't really understand why I would and she wouldn't since she's been in a *very* good lab for the last three years (but she did get an interview at Hopkins already)