2020 Computational Biology/Bioinformatics/Systems Biology PhD Admissions

rcon

Heard back from Yale (Visiting weekend is 1/31 to 2/1)

Harvard BIG
MIT CSB
Tri-I CBM
UCLA Bioinformatics [12/6]
UCSF Bioinformatics
JHU BME
UC Berkeley Computational Biology
Yale CBB [12/17]
Princeton QCB
UCSD BISB
UChicago GGSB [12/12]
UCI MCSB (Didn't end up applying)
Penn GCB [12/10]

[Interview Notification] [Acceptance] [Waitlist] [Rejection]
(None means still waiting)

Does anyone know if WashU is done sending out invites for interviews? I was wondering because I saw some divisions like Biology & Biomedical Sciences have gone out but not others? I was mainly wondering about Molecular Genetics and Genomics

11 hours ago, potoooooooo said:

Heard back from Yale (Visiting weekend is 1/31 to 2/1)

Harvard BIG
MIT CSB
Tri-I CBM
UCLA Bioinformatics [12/6]
UCSF Bioinformatics
JHU BME
UC Berkeley Computational Biology
Yale CBB [12/17]
Princeton QCB
UCSD BISB
UChicago GGSB [12/12]
UCI MCSB (Didn't end up applying)
Penn GCB [12/10]

[Interview Notification] [Acceptance] [Waitlist] [Rejection]
(None means still waiting)

Results are looking good for you! Do you know if Yale will be sending out more invites for interviews? 

If you don't mind sharing, what are some highlights from your application profile?

7 hours ago, owwwtp said:

For those who are concerned with Upenn, I just decided to email to ask if I got an interview.  I will update once I hear back. 

I applaud you! The only thing im clinging to at this point is other programs at upenn have been slowly releasing invites lol. I've gotten other interviews tho so i cant be too disappointed 

Hi all! Getting nervous as UCSF and UCSD interview invites are starting to come out, and my PI of 3 years submitted his recommendation letter quite late (apparently he wanted to comment that I performed well in a very difficult class I took with him this quarter, but still..?)

Thus far, I have applied to:

1. UCSF CCB (Chemistry & Chemical Biology)
  2. UCSD BMS (Biomedical Sciences)
  3. UCB Chemistry
  4. MIT CSB (Computational & Systems Biology)
  5. MIT BE (Bioengineering)
  6. Scripps Research Institute
  7. UW MCMP (Medicinal Chemistry & Molecular Pharmacology)
  8. Purdue IBMS (Interdisciplinary Biomedical Sciences)
  9. Penn State BME (Biomedical Engineering) Their deadline was extended to the 31st so not yet lol

I am crossing my fingers for #1-7 but pretty confident I will receive good news from Purdue and Penn State, as I've already been flown out by them and spoken to the admissions staff members and a few potential FOIs. If anyone has any suggestions to additional programs I should be checking out, specifically for computational applications to drug design, please let me know!

Brief summary of stats if anyone cares:

• GPA 3.8/4.0 @ Top 10 public school
  • White F (not sure if I'm considered a "minority" but I've participated in several programs that serve underrepresented populations in graduate schools?)
  • 2.5 yrs independent project (supervised by my PI, kinda) in computational chemistry with a 1st author paper (in prep), 3 mos summer research program in a neurosci lab, 3 mos (ongoing) primarily programming position in an environmental science group
  • Long list of funding sources, related awards, etc.
  • Lots of poster presentations at local conferences, one poster presentation (supported by a travel award) at ABRCMS
  • Board member of ASBMB chapter

On 12/18/2019 at 7:16 AM, balisticFeanor said:

Does anyone know if WashU is done sending out invites for interviews? I was wondering because I saw some divisions like Biology & Biomedical Sciences have gone out but not others? I was mainly wondering about Molecular Genetics and Genomics

From my observation they are slowly releasing invites for various programs lol.

On 12/17/2019 at 6:16 PM, balisticFeanor said:

I got an invite to WashU (applied to computational and systems bio) last night. At least one person on this thread got an invite for that last week, so they seem to be trickling out. 

Edited by Vel0ciRaPTOr

28 minutes ago, Vel0ciRaPTOr said:

I got an invite to WashU (applied to computational and systems bio) last night. At least one person on this thread got an invite for that last week, so they seem to be trickling out. 

UGH i wish they would send them out all at once lol! Im gonna take no news as good news 

23 minutes ago, owwwtp said:

They said that my application is still under review. So I assume that they are still sending out invites

That sound hopeful! Good luck to you, (im hoping in January they might send out a few more invites). I think im just gonna be cautiously optimistic for now about UPenn 

Hello guys, late to the game but decided to spend some time here and hopefully be more informed/inform others

Everyone here seems to be very qualified so I hope we all get into the programs we want!

My list of schools -

• University of Washington GS [reject on Dec 18, ops]
  • EMBL-EBI [really liked them, invited to in-person interview]
  • Havard BIG
  • Stanford BMI
  • TRI-I Comp Bio
  • UCSD Comp Bio
  • JHU CS
  • MIT CSB
  • Sanger Comp Bio

I think TRI-I sends out interviews today or tomorrow based on the dates in previous years. Waiting for this!!

Edited by kataegis

2 hours ago, kataegis said:

Hello guys, late to the game but decided to spend some time here and hopefully be more informed/inform others

Everyone here seems to be very qualified so I hope we all get into the programs we want!

My list of schools -

• University of Washington GS [reject on Dec 18, ops]
  • EMBL-EBI [really liked them, invited to in-person interview]
  • Havard BIG
  • Stanford BMI
  • TRI-I Comp Bio
  • UCSD Comp Bio
  • JHU CS
  • MIT CSB
  • Sanger Comp Bio

I think TRI-I sends out interviews today or tomorrow based on the dates in previous years. Waiting for this!!

I applied to MIT/UCSD too - best of luck to both of us on those!