2020 Computational Biology/Bioinformatics/Systems Biology PhD Admissions

rcon

2 hours ago, uncertainty said:

Got accepted into Joint CMU-Pitt Program in Computational Biology through CMU without interview. 

6 hours ago, pangenome said:

Got rejected from MIT CSBi and accepted to CMU CPCB the same day. A lot of mixed feelings today :)

Did you guys both get accepted without interview to the PhD? That's so strange. I got an interview and they mentioned most of the interviewees get admitted. Not sure what I should make of this?

8 hours ago, thelilypad said:

Did you guys both get accepted without interview to the PhD? That's so strange. I got an interview and they mentioned most of the interviewees get admitted. Not sure what I should make of this?

Yeah, it was totally unexpected. I even changed my signature to a rejection after not getting an interview invite. But I would guess that most interviewees do get admitted because they would want to have a high yield, but I am also confused.

18 minutes ago, uncertainty said:

Is yours from Pittsburgh?

Yep.

33 minutes ago, pangenome said:

Yeah, it was totally unexpected. I even changed my signature to a rejection after not getting an interview invite. But I would guess that most interviewees do get admitted because they would want to have a high yield, but I am also confused.

Yeah my email literally stated most interviewees get admitted.

So weird.

1 hour ago, uncertainty said:

As far as I know, Pitts normally has interview and CMU just sends out offers without interview. 

For the PhD? Or the MS?

I got admitted to the MS sans interview, but the PhD is a combined program with Pitt and CMU so I'm a bit confused what you mean.

For anyone wondering, I reached out to Yale and they said they’ve sent out all their interviews. Makes sense at this point but figured I’d post it in case anyone else was still half-hoping like me

2 minutes ago, rcon said:

For anyone wondering, I reached out to Yale and they said they’ve sent out all their interviews. Makes sense at this point but figured I’d post it in case anyone else was still half-hoping like me

Ha at least they replied, I think UCLA straight up ghosted me ?I asked last week and never got a response at all.

41 minutes ago, thelilypad said:

For the PhD? Or the MS?

I got admitted to the MS sans interview, but the PhD is a combined program with Pitt and CMU so I'm a bit confused what you mean.

For the PhD. Although it's a combined program, I think they have separate admission process. 

From the offer letter: 'Although this is a cross-institutional Ph.D. program, Ph.D. degrees are conferred by a single university. Thus, a student in our program will ultimately receive his or her degree from the university in which that student's thesis advisor holds his or her primary appointment.' 

3 minutes ago, uncertainty said:

For the PhD. Although it's a combined program, I think they have separate admission process. 

From the offer letter: 'Although this is a cross-institutional Ph.D. program, Ph.D. degrees are conferred by a single university. Thus, a student in our program will ultimately receive his or her degree from the university in which that student's thesis advisor holds his or her primary appointment.' 

Just followed up with you via PM, maybe we can figure this out? ?

@thelilypad I also got admitted through Pitt. Do you know if there is a significant difference between being admitted through one or the other perhaps in our final PI choice or what not. Also, fyi I got an interview for UCLA for a bioinformatics type guy, but I applied through CS. 

I just received my rejection from UW Genome Sciences today. Since I didn't hear anything in December, I dreamed something good would happen. But, it's now time to face the reality -- got rejected from my Top1 dream program ?

11 hours ago, pangenome said:

Do you know whether CMU CPCB have sent out the offers or there are still chances in the coming days?

It seems that CMU CPCB usually send out rejection one week after sending the offer.

On 1/15/2020 at 11:00 PM, Finleymcfinley said:

Interview invite for Georgia Tech’s bioinformatics phd program today!

Hi, I received one email from admission office today, it said there would be a faculty interview and let me list 2-3 faculty I am interested in.

11 hours ago, appcs2020 said:

has any internationals received CMU CPCB invites? just saw domestics on the feed, wondering if they sent out international later?

International as well.