MSW Applications Fall 2020

IvySWCu

After weeks of constantly checking my inbox and portal for Hunter's MSW program, I finally got an invitation to interview! For reference, my application was completed in October. The dates they showed for interviews are next week, but I don't live in the US right now so I'll have to schedule mine to do over Skype.

On 1/12/2020 at 7:28 AM, NTN244 said:

Your stats have me worried now, haha. I was a History & Linguistics major (3.6), with a focus on diasporic groups from South Asia and sociolinguistics. My main experiences have been working in the education field, especially with immigrant communities in New York. I've been in South Korea for the last two years teaching in a rural town and working with North Korean defectors to help them learn English and adjust to everyday life. 

I am a little worried since I have a two year gap between finishing undergrad and applying for graduate school, and also that I don't really have a social work background. I'm definitely feeling nervous about my essay and overall application as well. Hunter is definitely my dream program too! My old neighbor, who is a social worker, actually went to Hunter and highly recommends their program. My best tip would be to be patient at this point if everything has been submitted, and I say that as I check the portal nearly every day for any sort of update. 

Have you had any updates at all? My application has the 'Pending Interview' status, so I'm hoping that means I have a shot.

That's good to hear! Fingers crossed that we hear something soon. Full time! I'm hoping to get through most of it in the Manhattan campus, but I read that we would have to take at least one class in Stony Brook. Do you happen to know if that would be one class a semester or one during the entire two years?

Good luck & speedy updates to both of you!

Oh okay! 

I applied for the part time program and for the Stony Brook Campus. I am not too sure what the case is for the Manhattan campus. Maybe email someone and ask? Good luck!!

Question for those who have been accepted to UMich: it seems like y'all received a phone call? Did they also email you later on? I don't like the idea of a phone call since they might call when I'm busy and I won't be able to answer, but also, I may not answer an unknown number.

I'm also tempted to contact admissions, but I feel like it's too early for that - has anyone done it though? I submitted my application on December 1st, and the website says I should hear back by March 1st...so I still have several weeks (I also submitted the day of so they likely haven't even gotten to my application yet). But it seems like people are already getting a decision!! Aggh, I can't take this wait!! 

Received an email late last night from UW Milwaukee to apply for the Advanced Opportunity Program Fellowship from the Graduate School at UWM. It's a huge package and I would be so grateful to receive it, especially to offset the cost of going out of state. Fingers crossed!

1 hour ago, Liza123 said:

Question for those who have been accepted to UMich: it seems like y'all received a phone call? Did they also email you later on? I don't like the idea of a phone call since they might call when I'm busy and I won't be able to answer, but also, I may not answer an unknown number.

I'm also tempted to contact admissions, but I feel like it's too early for that - has anyone done it though? I submitted my application on December 1st, and the website says I should hear back by March 1st...so I still have several weeks (I also submitted the day of so they likely haven't even gotten to my application yet). But it seems like people are already getting a decision!! Aggh, I can't take this wait!! 

I called and talked to someone for a long time today and she was incredibly kind and helpful! I submitted late November and the school requested an interview with me. I had no idea why so she took the time to go through my application and try to figure out why they wanted to talk to me. Highly recommend calling, it really put me at ease. 

1 hour ago, Liza123 said:

Yes received via phone call! They said they'll be sending out official emails in the next few weeks, but the individual I talked to did sent a follow-up email after our brief conversation. I would imagine they would leave a VM and email you if you miss the phone call.Since they are calling all the individuals accepted, I'm also guessing it will take more than a few days to contact everyone. Don't be too nervous; hopefully you'll here sometime this week!!

For UMich, I received a phone call BUT did not get a follow up email and my portal hasn't been updated. It's been less than 24 hours, but I would appreciate some kind of follow up, so I am emailing them. I applied to the Dec 1st deadline and submitted one of the last days of November. 

I also haven’t received any follow up from UMich, but I did get a phone call! I would just make sure you’re familiar with the Ann Arbor area code (734). My phone said someone from Ann Arbor was calling me, and I feel like I blacked out because all I remember is that someone on the other end said congratulations lol. I agree tho- it will definitely take a while to process that many applications and phone calls! Fingers crossed for everyone in this thread!!

Hi! Haven’t really posted in here but just wanted to share that this morning I woke up to an email from NYU saying that there had been a status update on my application page and received an acceptance to the regular 2 year program! I am so excited and hope more of us receive the same good news today as well!

3 minutes ago, frootloop said:

Hi! Haven’t really posted in here but just wanted to share that this morning I woke up to an email from NYU saying that there had been a status update on my application page and received an acceptance to the regular 2 year program! I am so excited and hope more of us receive the same good news today as well!

When did you apply? Congrats! 

11 minutes ago, frootloop said:

That's amazing! I just submitted my application last week. Are you going to accept? Did you receive any info about financial aid? 

2 minutes ago, simonsays said:

That's amazing! I just submitted my application last week. Are you going to accept? Did you receive any info about financial aid? 

No information on financial aid yet - hopefully that comes out soon though and I will update again when it does (A girl is poor and cannot afford full tuition haha)! I really want to be in the New York area so I’m still waiting on Columbia and then I think I’m going to go for a weekend and visit both schools again before I make a final decision. You’ll definitely hear back soon!

5 minutes ago, frootloop said:

No information on financial aid yet - hopefully that comes out soon though and I will update again when it does (A girl is poor and cannot afford full tuition haha)! I really want to be in the New York area so I’m still waiting on Columbia and then I think I’m going to go for a weekend and visit both schools again before I make a final decision. You’ll definitely hear back soon!

Those are my two top choices as well! I can't stand to leave New York. At the NYU info session, they said 95% of students receive some sort of financial aid (merit or need based). Hopefully I'll see you at school in the fall :)

56 minutes ago, frootloop said:

Congrats!!! Thank you for sharing :)

I also have a quick question that I figured I'd ask here before I email Columbia admissions: if we are accepted for a particular concentration/specialization, are we able to switch tracks following acceptance?

1 hour ago, frootloop said:

I also have a quick question that I figured I'd ask here before I email Columbia admissions: if we are accepted for a particular concentration/specialization, are we able to switch tracks following acceptance?

I believe it depends - and you would have to email the dean and write a short letter on why. If they have the space they will let you. If not, you may have to switch your electives to adapt.

1 minute ago, Zayah said:

I JUST GOT ACCEPTED INTO COLUMBIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I DIDNT GET AN EMAIL!!! GO CHECK THE PORTAL GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Omg congrats!!! That’s amazing!!!!! Where do you see the decision?

When did you apply? I applied Dec 1 and check the portal religiously lol

1 minute ago, amb22 said:

Omg congrats!!! That’s amazing!!!!! Where do you see the decision?

When did you apply? I applied Dec 1 and check the portal religiously lol

Login to the application!! It says I had a status update! I clicked it and it was an acceptance letter!!!! I AM FLOORED. I CANT EVEN BREATH.

I applied around 11/7/19.

14 minutes ago, Zayah said:

Login to the application!! It says I had a status update! I clicked it and it was an acceptance letter!!!! I AM FLOORED. I CANT EVEN BREATH.

I applied around 11/7/19.

I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!!! 

Edited by madisonc7