Fall 2020 Applications

Richelieu

Hello everyone,

Since the application deadlines are getting closer and closer, I wanted to open this topic.

Maybe we can share where and which programs we apply and exchange ideas.

I will be applying to:

Syracuse - Cultural Foundations of Ed.
Ohio State - Ed. Policy
Michigan State - Ed. Policy
Northwestern University - Learning Sci.
UNC Chapel Hill - Ed. Policy and Lead.
Univ. of Illinois at Chicago - Ed. Policy and Lead.
Columbia Teachers College - EdD in Intl. Educational Development
University of Michigan Ann Arbor - Ed. Policy

Hello! It looks like we are applying to some similar programs! 

I am applying to the following programs:

• University of Pennsylvania - M.S.Ed. in Education Policy
  • University of Texas-Austin - M.Ed in  Education Policy and Planning
  • Vanderbilt - M.P.P in Education Policy
  • Brown University - M.A. in Urban Education Policy
  • University of Colorado Boulder - PhD in  Educational Foundations, Policy & Practice
  • University of Michigan - PhD in  Educational Studies with a concentration in Educational Policy, Leadership, and Innovation
  • University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill - PhD in Education
  • Michigan State University: PhD in Education Policy
  • Harvard - PhD in Education with a focus in Culture, Institutions, and Society (CIS) Concentration
  • Stanford: PhD Education Policy (SHIPS) 

- I've already applied to most of these, but I am still finishing up a few of my applications. 

Hey folks! I'm applying to:

University of Minnesota - Psychological Foundations of Education Ph.D. 

University of Texas at Austin - Human Development, Culture, and Learning Sciences Ph.D.

University of Michigan Ann-Arbor - Education and Psychology Ph.D.

How are things progressing with your apps thus far? All my deadlines are December 1st, so I'm scrambling to finish SOPs and reminding LoR's. 

On 11/9/2019 at 12:23 PM, thats_not_freire said:

Hey folks! I'm applying to:

University of Minnesota - Psychological Foundations of Education Ph.D. 

University of Texas at Austin - Human Development, Culture, and Learning Sciences Ph.D.

University of Michigan Ann-Arbor - Education and Psychology Ph.D.

How are things progressing with your apps thus far? All my deadlines are December 1st, so I'm scrambling to finish SOPs and reminding LoR's. 

I have two deadlines on November 15th so I am finalizing and polishing my apps. 

Have you considered Northwestern's Human Development and Social Policy program as well?

On 11/11/2019 at 10:41 AM, kemalgider said:

I have two deadlines on November 15th so I am finalizing and polishing my apps. 

Have you considered Northwestern's Human Development and Social Policy program as well?

Good luck! Were you able to meet those deadlines?

RE: Northwestern - No I haven't, I'm not especially interested in policy at this point, but that does look like a good program!

Less than two weeks away from December 1st. Almost to the finish line!

Did anyone else rethink their life choices while writing a statement to convince a committee that this is the right life choice for you? ?

Almost done with everything on my end - it's been a process.

What are you guys using for a writing sample? The works I planned to submit exceed the page limit, so I'm trying to think carefully about whether to cut down a strong piece or whether to use a shorter piece.

2 hours ago, shookienewman said:

Did anyone else rethink their life choices while writing a statement to convince a committee that this is the right life choice for you? ?

What are you guys using for a writing sample? The works I planned to submit exceed the page limit, so I'm trying to think carefully about whether to cut down a strong piece or whether to use a shorter piece.

This is my template when writing my statement:

My personal/academic background, 

Research background (publications and projects), 

Area of research and why I choose to work in that specific area

Why I would like to do a PhD in XXXX Program

Why I would like to study at XXX University

Faculty members I would like to work with

My future endeavors

Hope this helps.

1 hour ago, kemalgider said:

Hope this helps.

Thanks @kemalgider. I appreciate the thought. What I meant is a writing sample separate from the Statement of Purpose. One of the programs I am applying to asks for a writing sample at 6 pages max. That's why I'm thinking about cutting a strong paper (master's thesis) down or using a less strong paper. I'll review my other papers tonight and see if I can make something else work.

17 hours ago, shookienewman said:

Thanks @kemalgider. I appreciate the thought. What I meant is a writing sample separate from the Statement of Purpose. One of the programs I am applying to asks for a writing sample at 6 pages max. That's why I'm thinking about cutting a strong paper (master's thesis) down or using a less strong paper. I'll review my other papers tonight and see if I can make something else work.

That's a tough question. How much would you need to cut from your masters? I'm using an essay that is getting published in an undergrad journal just before the application deadline (I got very lucky with the timing). 

Also, here's question for you folks: How did you format your Personal Statements/SOPs? All my programs give very vague descriptions. On the top left of the first page I have: Full name, Personal Statement/SOP, University and College/Dept, and program title. The pages after the first have a top-right oriented header: "LastName, Page#". Only one program specifies double spacing, so the rest I am leaving single spaced.

I'm probably overthinking it, leave it to me to get deadline jitters. ? Good luck to everyone.

33 minutes ago, thats_not_freire said:

Also, here's question for you folks: How did you format your Personal Statements/SOPs? All my programs give very vague descriptions. On the top left of the first page I have: Full name, Personal Statement/SOP, University and College/Dept, and program title. The pages after the first have a top-right oriented header: "LastName, Page#". Only one program specifies double spacing, so the rest I am leaving single spaced.

I'm probably overthinking it, leave it to me to get deadline jitters. ? Good luck to everyone.

I'm not sure how you're "supposed to" format it, but I'm using the same format that I used on my masters personal statement.

Top left of first page: Full name, ID number (unique to this college), SOP(centered)

Header: Last Name, Page#

I have a page restriction rather than a word limit, so I'm trying to save what space I have for the content. Your circumstances may be a little different.

On 11/8/2019 at 1:38 AM, kemalgider said:

Hello everyone,

Since the application deadlines are getting closer and closer, I wanted to open this topic.

Maybe we can share where and which programs we apply and exchange ideas.

I will be applying to:

Syracuse - Cultural Foundations of Ed.
Ohio State - Ed. Policy
Michigan State - Ed. Policy
Northwestern University - Learning Sci.
UNC Chapel Hill - Ed. Policy and Lead.
Univ. of Illinois at Chicago - Ed. Policy and Lead.
Columbia Teachers College - EdD in Intl. Educational Development
University of Michigan Ann Arbor - Ed. Policy

Wow! I'm also applying to the Learning Sci. of Northwestern University. But I'm still confused about the writing sample, since the website doesn't give specific requirements on it, such as the type and length. I'm wondering if a literature review on learning theories would be appropriate for the application, and I think I need to polish it.

13 hours ago, Xinzhu Wang said:

Wow! I'm also applying to the Learning Sci. of Northwestern University. But I'm still confused about the writing sample, since the website doesn't give specific requirements on it, such as the type and length. I'm wondering if a literature review on learning theories would be appropriate for the application, and I think I need to polish it.

That's likely fine for a writing sample. Polishing it would be a good idea.

hi y’all! I hope everyone is holding up okay!

I have applied to:

Harvard, HGSE, PhD, CIS concentration 

Penn GSE, PhD, Education Culture & Society

Syracuse, PhD, Cultural Foundations of Education

U Maryland, PhD, Student Affairs

UCLA, PhD, Higher Education & Organizational Change

UT Austin, PhD, Higher Education Leadership

NYU, PhD, Sociology of Education

On 11/26/2019 at 4:35 PM, shookienewman said:

I submitted a condensed version of the Chapter 5 Discussion portion of my Masters thesis as my writing sample, if that’s helpful!

Greetings from Canada,

I have applied to all part time, distance or blended learning programs, due to my full time work. They are as follows:

1. Illinois - EdD Global Studies in Education

2. U.Virginia - EdD in Curriculum and Instruction

3. Purdue (West Lafayette)- PhD in Higher Education

4. U.Florida - EdD in Curriculum and Instruction (Educational Technology)

5. Kentucky - EdD in Educational Leadership

6. SUNY Albany - PhD Curriculum and Instruction (Instructional Theory, Design, and Technology)

7. Lancaster University (in the UK) - PhD Education and Social Justice

8. Western university (in Canada) - EdD in Community leadership

----

I wish you all luck! Fingers crossed.

On 12/12/2019 at 11:41 AM, Miners Canary said:

The more December admissions updates get posted to the results page the thinner the already thin veil over my panic becomes. Winter is here.

I relate!! I'm having a hard time not driving myself crazy checking admission portals. Even though I know I likely won't hear until January/February at the earliest :( 

I just got accepted to the University of Minnesota! It was my first choice. So excited. Good luck to everybody else!!

20 hours ago, kemalgider said:

I have just seen someone's post that they were accepted to Univ. of Michigan Ed Policy.

Has anyone else heard from Umich?

I applied to UMich and have not heard anything either.