Fall 2020 Applications

Richelieu

On 1/24/2020 at 11:14 AM, Rhac16 said:

Has anyone heard from UCLA HEOC PhD yet? Do they require interviews?

I don’t think UCLA is going to be sending out anything until the next few weeks.  I heard Through the grapevine they hadn’t even met in my cognate yet.  Plus, the info session said Feb.  it’s crickets here for HDPz

On 1/21/2020 at 10:17 PM, trekhgornyval said:

As a potentially MIT-bound nuclear scientist/engineer, I sure hope you are more precise with your work than with this forum! :) 

(Just joking. This is the Education board, I'm guessing you meant to post in the Engineering one. Congratulations on the interviews nonetheless!)

Thanks for the heads up, I'm very new to the platform and didn't spot the subject tags. Good luck on your application results, and I'll be sure to be more careful which board I accidentally post to :P 

9 minutes ago, korbles said:

Does anyone know what to expect during the interview? Mine is only for 30 minutes along with a campus visit!

On Twitter there’s some great discussion under #phdchat and #academicchatter about visits and interviews now.  Just scroll through the posts.

Still waiting to hear from the Learning & Developmental Sciences program at Indiana.  Anyone know roughly when interview invitations might be expected to go out or if they already have?  I'm kind of thinking by now they might all be out and I just didn't get invited. 

8 hours ago, psysnow said:

Hello everyone!

Has anyone heard from UT Austin-Human Development, Culture, and Learning Sciences Ph.D program?

I applied and also have not heard anything. Looking back at results from previous years, it seems that the program releases decisions late Feb/early March.

11 hours ago, jose_lr said:

I have been admitted to the Ph.D. program in Education Policy and Planning (EPP) at UT Austin. No word on funding yet but I called and they said that letters with financial aid information will be sent out later this week.

Nice, congratulations! I have also been admitted to this program; it is one of my preferred choices and the funding situation will play a large part in determining if I'll be able to accept, so I'm looking forward to finding out more about this as well.

I have just got selected for the interviews for Northwestern University - Learning Sciences PhD program.

Unofficially contacted by POI listed in SOP that I was selected for the interviews with the faculty and I should hear something soon. Excited as this is my dream program

17 hours ago, jose_lr said:

I have been admitted to the Ph.D. program in Education Policy and Planning (EPP) at UT Austin. No word on funding yet but I called and they said that letters with financial aid information will be sent out later this week.

I've also been admitted to the EPP department at UT! I'm in the PHEL program though. Are you attending the visit weekend?

23 hours ago, kemalgider said:

I have just got selected for the interviews for Northwestern University - Learning Sciences PhD program.

Unofficially contacted by POI listed in SOP that I was selected for the interviews with the faculty and I should hear something soon. Excited as this is my dream program

Hey!

Congratulations!
I received an interview and campus visit invitation for Northwestern - LS PhD as well! 

I have been admitted to the Ed Policy Program at UT Austin and plan to attend the visit weekend in February. I haven't received any financial info from them yet, but it seems like GA positions are fairly easy to come by. 

Still waiting to hear back from University of Maryland and Hopkins--pretty sure Vanderbilt and Penn have already sent out interview and visit invites so I don't think I'm in there. 

28 minutes ago, Smweave3 said:

I have been admitted to the Ed Policy Program at UT Austin and plan to attend the visit weekend in February. I haven't received any financial info from them yet, but it seems like GA positions are fairly easy to come by. 

Still waiting to hear back from University of Maryland and Hopkins--pretty sure Vanderbilt and Penn have already sent out interview and visit invites so I don't think I'm in there. 

Hi, I heard one person I knew saying that Maryland has sent her an offer already, and the interview was in last December. I did not get anything yet from them. But I don't know whether different concentrations make decisions in different times.  Which program are you applying? 

Ed Policy and Leadership. It looks like some of the UMD programs make decisions VERY late. Since they don't have generous fellowships to offer, I most likely won't wait around to hear from them. 

I just got accepted to Loyola University Chicago - Cultural and Educational Policy Studies PhD program the day after my interview. 

5th acceptance already! I am an international student so I was really unsure about all this process. I believe that as long as you find a good fit in certain school, the rest will not have huge impact on the decision.

Fingers crossed for all of us!

I received an interview invitation for U Washington for master in Ed policy.

Anyone too applied this program?  

However, I haven't received any news from UTAustin:( 

On 1/28/2020 at 6:40 PM, Rhac16 said:

I've also been admitted to the EPP department at UT! I'm in the PHEL program though. Are you attending the visit weekend?

Congratulations! Yes, I am attending the visit weekend. Did you or anyone else receive any financial aid info?

Edited by jose_lr

On 2/1/2020 at 4:45 AM, jose_lr said:

Congratulations! Yes, I am attending the visit weekend. Did you or anyone else receive any financial aid info?

I'm still waiting on finaid info from UT too - really anxious to know. Not sure if we'll need to look at the GA positions or if we'll be funded through research.

I’m a teacher in Chicago Public Schools and am planning on beginning part-time PhD studies next Fall in Ed Policy. I’ve been accepted to the three programs I applied to:

Policy Studies in Urban Education (Social Foundations) at University of Illinois - Chicago, —Cultural and Ed Policy Studies at Loyola, and -Curriculum Studies at DePaul. Because I will be part-time, I will be self-funding my studies, but am wondering if there are people who’ve gone through any of these programs - or people who’ve completed programs part-time who could offer advice.

I really like both Loyola and UIC’s programs, yet Loyola is much more expensive. Kind of torn at the moment! 

@jose_lr @Smweave3 @Rhac16 @trekhgornyval

(and others - did my best to tag who I saw discussing the program)

Reached out to the UT EPP Program Coordinator about funding and heard that I did not receive funding. She mentioned that the funding was very limited this year (though that may have just been to soften the blow). I'm not sure if that means those that have received funding have heard about their funding status or not.

Here's some of the wording:

"Unfortunately we have very limited funds this year and were not able to offer you a funding package. There are two possibilities, however. Some additional funding may become available later in the spring, but this is certainly not guaranteed. Almost all our students are able to secure Teaching Assistantships or Graduate Research Assistantships upon enrolling in the program. These provide a stipend and tuition reimbursement... we work hard to ensure our students are supported with GRA or TAships in the program."

Hoping the best for you all!

Edited by shookienewman
tags didn't work 1st time