I applied to:

Sac State - rejected 

Chico State - rejected 

San Jose State - reject 

San Diego State University - rejected 

Loma Linda University - waitlisted 

I’m currently attending Arizona State University. My GPA was 3.8, GRE score 148, 152, 4. I was a student athlete (2 years), Vice President of my sorority, Vice President of NSSLHA, had research experience, and volunteer hours. I also thought I had strong letters of recommendation.  I hope this helps. 

3 hours ago, DogLover123 said:

I applied to:

Sac State - rejected 

Chico State - rejected 

San Jose State - reject 

San Diego State University - rejected 

Loma Linda University - waitlisted 

I’m currently attending Arizona State University. My GPA was 3.8, GRE score 148, 152, 4. I was a student athlete (2 years), Vice President of my sorority, Vice President of NSSLHA, had research experience, and volunteer hours. I also thought I had strong letters of recommendation.  I hope this helps. 

Congrats on ASU! How many schools did you apply to? 

11 hours ago, eh1998 said:

Congrats on ASU! How many schools did you apply to? 

Thank you!! I applied to 9. If I could go back an apply again I would do it very differently. 

One thing to be aware of with some California schools you may have to take the CBEST. 

On 11/10/2019 at 12:24 PM, DogLover123 said:

Thank you!! I applied to 9. If I could go back an apply again I would do it very differently. 

One thing to be aware of with some California schools you may have to take the CBEST. 

What would you do differently? Sorry for all of the questions! I am applying this year and am quite anxious haha. 

Yes! I saw that as a requirement. Most schools require to have them done before you start grad school. Heard the test is fairly easy tho 

22 hours ago, slptobe! said:

All the schools in my signature I applied to. Let me know if you have any questions! 

Thank you so much and congrats on SJSU! How is your experience at SJSU so far? And how was your interview process? 

I am currently doing a post bacc program to get my pre reqs done but I am worried not having all of them done will affect my chances of getting in. I will have them finished before grad school starts tho. 

32 minutes ago, eh1998 said:

Thank you so much and congrats on SJSU! How is your experience at SJSU so far? And how was your interview process? 

I am currently doing a post bacc program to get my pre reqs done but I am worried not having all of them done will affect my chances of getting in. I will have them finished before grad school starts tho. 

Thanks! I like it, I didn't go through the interview process because I got in off the waitlist.

They mostly just want you to take all the classes before you get in because it may affect the course load and graduation time. 

56 minutes ago, slptobe! said:

For California programs, I applied to Sacramento State (they pretty much only accept Sacramento State students due to a course they require that’s only offered at Sac State), University of the Pacific and CSU Northridge’s online spring program. Rejected to all. I was not surprised due to having a lower GPA. 

Edited by alyssafrancis

7 hours ago, alyssafrancis said:

For California programs, I applied to Sacramento State (they pretty much only accept Sacramento State students due to a course they require that’s only offered at Sac State), University of the Pacific and CSU Northridge’s online spring program. Rejected to all. I was not surprised due to having a lower GPA. 

Do you mind if I ask what your gpa was? 

@MadisonMachelle This is my second round of applications with a near 4.0 GPA ... CSU are notoriously difficult to get into due to mostly accepting their own students. I realized that once I already paid all my applications ;0 if you can afford it do it! I see Eastern NM has lower GRE requirements.. a friend of mine attends CU boulder and loves it! It all depends on what kind of program you're looking for. I made the mistake of casting a wide, wide net and not understanding what my needs were. Are you going for affordable? In person preference? Private school facilities? What makes you the best possible clinician -- like what setting would work best. 

Be sure to check the unit requirement for admissions. I'm unable to apply to some programs because of that even though I did all the pre-reqs. CSULA requires a class that they offer and Frisco as well. My application did not get looked at @CSUN since one of my GRE scores was below 150. Call the schools because sometimes its the little things that matter :)

Fingers crossed for you!! 

2 hours ago, CorazonDeSLP said:

@MadisonMachelle This is my second round of applications with a near 4.0 GPA ... CSU are notoriously difficult to get into due to mostly accepting their own students. I realized that once I already paid all my applications ;0 if you can afford it do it! I see Eastern NM has lower GRE requirements.. a friend of mine attends CU boulder and loves it! It all depends on what kind of program you're looking for. I made the mistake of casting a wide, wide net and not understanding what my needs were. Are you going for affordable? In person preference? Private school facilities? What makes you the best possible clinician -- like what setting would work best. 

Be sure to check the unit requirement for admissions. I'm unable to apply to some programs because of that even though I did all the pre-reqs. CSULA requires a class that they offer and Frisco as well. My application did not get looked at @CSUN since one of my GRE scores was below 150. Call the schools because sometimes its the little things that matter :)

Fingers crossed for you!! 

Good to know as well. I have submitted my application for ENMU for Fall 2020 so it’ll be awhile before I hear back.

6 hours ago, CorazonDeSLP said:

@alyssafrancis What made you select that school? Where else do you want to go? I'm from So cal...so it makes sense to apply to online!

So they require only one semester in person, and then the rest of it is online. This is helpful for me because I don't want to move away for two years but one semester would be do-able for me and my family. According to their stats and looking at Grad Cafe, it seemed to look like they accept lower GPA's and GRE scores (which would be my best bet) and that they look at the whole person, instead of just a number. I think it is going to be almost impossible for me to get into a California school. ENMU also has a non-traditional essay which I feel like could be helpful to getting in as well. And they are also rolling admissions, which give you more of a chance! So we'll see, I am applying to a few other schools as well. Hoping to get in eventually. 

@alyssafrancis Makes total sense! You're considerate / careful with looking at their stats..alot of people don't do that and they can be outdated... so I always ask to make sure-- but thats just me! 

I personally prefer a holistic school but honestly all of your decision-making sounds really solid! Thanks for sharing! Fingers crossed it all works out. My only advice is get started and finish early. Don't stress over it but really just get the ball moving and it will be over shortly :) I'm here with ya!

Edited by CorazonDeSLP

1 hour ago, slptobe13 said:

First year grad student at CSU Northridge here if anyone has any questions! I remember how stressful this time was with applications so wanted to offer any advice for those going through the same process :) best of luck with all your apps!

Are you in the online or on campus program?

• 3 weeks later...