Harvard Kennedy MPP 2020

shrishti

Hey, does that mean that they keep sending emails in tranches until 'early next week' including sat/sun? or will they pick it up on starting Mon? (I need some rest for 2 days...)

@KIMAMS you are the real deal! anxiety personified...

Edited by indianIRguy
some more stuff

9 hours ago, indianIRguy said:

BTW...Does anyone have any idea on what goes on in the interviews...? I've checked some discussions, but not much info forthcoming...How do you guys plan to prepare for a possible interview in such short time?

Honestly -  Haven't  bothered to check the interview process yet.  Realized that CPL fellowships are one of the most competitive fellowships at HKS. so no plan of action until I hear back from CPL

Has anyone here applied for the PEPG scholarship? I got in touch with the PEPG admin yesterday and was told that there would be no interviews and that results would be released with admission decisions in mid March. 

I have applied for cpl and dubin and two other fellowships. I am waiting eagerly . Full of anxiety here. I have tried my best to get as much information about the application and the financial process at his telephonically only in late November because all sorts of communication has been snapped in my state since August 2019. I tried my best and also explained my extenuating circumstances in my application. My low point is my low gre quant score. Also I wrote my essays and had no one to assess or provide any input about them . I am not very optimistic but still trying to be hopeful . 

All the best everyone here !

It seems CPL and maybe HKS is behind schedule considering the delay in interview notifications. I have applied for 1 CPL and 5 other fellowships requiring essay and wishing that Office of financial aid does not take applying to "too many" fellowships negatively. It is becoming very difficult to pass this waiting time.  All the best guys. 

Hi all - long time lurker first time writer. Just letting you know I also haven't heard anything from CPL - like the others, I imagine at least one person would have heard from here if a large amount had gone out yet (but who knows!)

For HKS, given their selectivity in fellowships, the decision of fellowship results are actually more important than admission-result itself. ? Unless, of course, you have funding support from elsewhere. So, Good luck to everyone. 

Edited by spnfiim

No matter CPL stuff...we're all anyway eligible for discretionary money awards made by the AdCom. Best of luck for ourselves! I can't believe we're again descending into the paranoia for another full day. Hope this will be it, no more tomorrows...

23 minutes ago, indianIRguy said:

No matter CPL stuff...we're all anyway eligible for discretionary money awards made by the AdCom. Best of luck for ourselves! I can't believe we're again descending into the paranoia for another full day. Hope this will be it, no more tomorrows...

hi can you share a little bit more about this?

3 minutes ago, Novalue said:

hi can you share a little bit more about this?

Just by submitting the FinAid appn., the AdCom would consider us for many more Fellowships like the Kennedy Fellowship et al which need no separate application as such and are not listed. Those are essentially awarded based on the AdCom's evaluation of our application. And that money is sizeable. 

1 hour ago, spnfiim said:

For HKS, given their selectivity in fellowships, the decision of fellowship results are actually more important than admission-result itself. ? Unless, of course, you have funding support from elsewhere. So, Good luck to everyone. 

I was under the impression that these emails that we're all waiting for are mere interview invitations and by no means guarantee that recipients of said emails will be awarded the scholarship? The final decisions are supposedly announced after (or alongside, I'm not sure) the admission decisions?

2 minutes ago, Anathema said:

I was under the impression that these emails that we're all waiting for are mere interview invitations and by no means guarantee that recipients of said emails will be awarded the scholarship? The final decisions are supposedly announced after (or alongside, I'm not sure) the admission decisions?

Yes, that's absolutely correct. But one will be accorded such fellowships only after being interviewed ?. So this makes 'today' an important day. Besides, those receiving email invites for CPL fellowships are considered strong candidates for receiving final admission offer as well. So, irrespective of your fellowship result, if you receive an email invite, then it is likely that your admission result would be favorable. 

That been said, even if we don't get email today, it is not the end of our admission prospects at HKS. CPL fellowships are far more competitive than HKS admission itself. So let's be optimistic for today and beyond.  

8 minutes ago, Anathema said:

Yes you are right. These are just interview invites for the fellowships and by no means guarantee the scholarship. Dubin just awards like 5 or 6 fellowships each year,  (I am guessing the numbers are small even for other scholarships) which are announced later to the decision or sometimes alongside. 

12 minutes ago, spnfiim said:

Besides, those receiving email invites for CPL fellowships are considered strong candidates for receiving final admission offer as well.

13 minutes ago, spnfiim said:

So, irrespective of your fellowship result, if you receive an email invite, then it is likely that your admission result would be favorable. 

Even if your thoughts are logical, the HKS people steadfastly refuse to hint at any such inferences...so not sure how much of this interview thing will point at the admission decisions...

12 minutes ago, Novalue said:

I am guessing the numbers are small even for other scholarships) which are announced later to the decision or sometimes alongside. 

Well, I read somewhere that Public Service Fellowships are tens in number apparently...

5 minutes ago, indianIRguy said:

Even if your thoughts are logical, the HKS people steadfastly refuse to hint at any such inferences...so not sure how much of this interview thing will point at the admission decisions...

But they would, wouldn't they?

Just now, Anathema said:

But they would, wouldn't they?

They should - why would the scholarship team spend hours going through all applications and interviewing candidates that are not making to the long list/short list of the admissions at least. But HKS does constantly point out that a call to interview is not related to admissions decision at all.

3 minutes ago, Novalue said:

They should - why would the scholarship team spend hours going through all applications and interviewing candidates that are not making to the long list/short list of the admissions at least. But HKS does constantly point out that a call to interview is not related to admissions decision at all.

No, I mean if they were to admit that an interview invite means the candidate stands a strong chance of final admission then someone could easily turn around and call the chronology of the whole process flawed. So to avoid this, they would say "there's no connection" - anyone who wanted to defend the process would.

Edited by Anathema

6 minutes ago, Anathema said:

No, I mean if they were to admit that an interview invite means the candidate stands a strong chance of final admission then someone could easily turn around and call the chronology of the whole process flawed. So to avoid this, they would say "there's no connection" - anyone who wanted to defend the process would.

Wow, I guess this is what is at play...but why would they actually do all this cumbersome process then?