Harvard Kennedy MPP 2020

shrishti

33 minutes ago, indianIRguy said:

Even if your thoughts are logical, the HKS people steadfastly refuse to hint at any such inferences...so not sure how much of this interview thing will point at the admission decisions...

My thoughts are informed by seeing numerous blogposts on previous years HKS fors on gradcafe. I haven’t come across a singe case where a shortlisted interviewee of CPL fellowship wasn’t offered admission. Plus, I also read on CPL website that they consult AdComs before finalising interview shorlists. So, based on these two factors, I think that CPL interviewees stand better chance of getting finally selected also. 

49 minutes ago, Novalue said:

Yes you are right. These are just interview invites for the fellowships and by no means guarantee the scholarship. Dubin just awards like 5 or 6 fellowships each year,  (I am guessing the numbers are small even for other scholarships) which are announced later to the decision or sometimes alongside. 

True. Last year’s annual report of CPL specifies that the most famous Dubin fellowship was given to only about 10 people, while an even more selective Gleitsman Fellowship was given to 5-6 stellar candidates only.

Laterally, Presidents Awards and Kennedy scholarships are also extremely limited and rare. 

Not sure of no. of Public Service Fellowships awarded each year, but that too shouldn’t be more. 

35 minutes ago, indianIRguy said:

Wow, I guess this is what is at play...but why would they actually do all this cumbersome process then?

I don't know. If I had to guess though, I'd say they want both admission and fellowship decisions to be released simultaneously so admitted candidates are not scrambling around appearing in interviews between mid-March and mid-April which is when most graduate schools' deadline for acceptance/rejection of offers is.

You never know with these old schools though, it could just as easily be tradition. "This is how we have always done it" and so on.

1 hour ago, justaname said:

After reading all the posts about how selective Dubin is, I decided to just assume I did not get shortlisted and carry on with my life.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIVE WAVE ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Same here. But I just want to know and get done with it. 

1 hour ago, justaname said:

After reading all the posts about how selective Dubin is, I decided to just assume I did not get shortlisted and carry on with my life.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIVE WAVE ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

like wise. I'll just go to bed now. Have a lot of work tomorrow too ?

11 minutes ago, spnfiim said:

An email from HKS FinAid team:

“CPL has already selected finalists to be interviewed for their fellowships, so if you have not heard from them, regretfully it means that you were not selected as a finalist“. 

Did they reply to your query? 

28 minutes ago, spnfiim said:

An email from HKS FinAid team:

“CPL has already selected finalists to be interviewed for their fellowships, so if you have not heard from them, regretfully it means that you were not selected as a finalist“. 

not a shocker but still kinda disappointed. thanks for the update!

Edited by justaname

Just now, HopefulMPA said:

Are Public Service Fellowships considered a CPL fellowship? Or are they one of the fellowships that doesn’t require an interview?

They're not CPL. And to the best of my knowledge they dont require interview. So I guess we will hear about them only once we have decisions! 

9 minutes ago, indianIRguy said:

you'll know in mid-march...interviews not required

9 minutes ago, polapp20 said:

They're not CPL. And to the best of my knowledge they dont require interview. So I guess we will hear about them only once we have decisions! 

Thank you both! Here’s to hoping the next couple of weeks go by quickly! 

It's difficult to digest this fact that not a single one has posted the cpl interview notification in this forum. I wasn't expecting this though but I would like to believe that most of us might have been viewed favorably for other non interview scholarships already. Maybe few even considered by adcom for president or public service fellowships. It's difficult to accept that cpl had not gone in our favour, but I believe they must have been through and there should be good news in store for all sincere candidates.

14 minutes ago, Haber said:

It's difficult to digest this fact that not a single one has posted the cpl interview notification in this forum. I wasn't expecting this though but I would like to believe that most of us might have been viewed favorably for other non interview scholarships already. Maybe few even considered by adcom for president or public service fellowships. It's difficult to accept that cpl had not gone in our favour, but I believe they must have been through and there should be good news in store for all sincere candidates.

Very soothing to read!! Thanks

3 minutes ago, Anathema said:

I just got an email but not from CPL. Got one from PEPG saying they had received my documents and whatnot. For a split second.. but 'twas not to be.

Had you raised any query, or was it generic? I have also applied to PEPG. Unfortunately, for me, I don't have access to my given email ID because I have received Fulbright fellowship and all my updates are routed through Fulbright/IIE office in New York. 

1 minute ago, spnfiim said:

Had you raised any query, or was it generic? I have also applied to PEPG. Unfortunately, for me, I don't have access to my given email ID because I have received Fulbright fellowship and all my updates are routed through Fulbright/IIE office in New York. 

I'd asked them about an interview two weeks ago but they had emailed back saying no interview necessary and so forth.

This email is doesn't seem a specific reply to my question but since it covers some of the same ground, it could just be a hastily written response by someone who forgot that they had already replied.