2020 Applicants Forum

feralgrad

Hey all, first time caller, long time listener. I haven't gotten into the MFA Draft '20 fb group yet, & I'm sure I'm missing out on some info (though I know, I know these groups are all some sort of soothsaying) -- has anybody heard anything about UMich? It seems last year acceptances/rejections were sent the 18th. Does that mean people are expecting it all to come out sometime in the next few days? 

21 hours ago, prosbie said:

Hey all, first time caller, long time listener. I haven't gotten into the MFA Draft '20 fb group yet, & I'm sure I'm missing out on some info (though I know, I know these groups are all some sort of soothsaying) -- has anybody heard anything about UMich? It seems last year acceptances/rejections were sent the 18th. Does that mean people are expecting it all to come out sometime in the next few days? 

the news through the draft grapevine was that we should be hearing this week. I’m really hoping for a result early tomorrow. They email btw. 

Hi guys. Been lurking for the past few weeks and finally decided to chip in. I've felt a kind of kinship reading you guys, and can't wait to meet y'all when the fall session begins.

About Iowa, I got a mail from Sam Chang (for fiction) last night asking when I'll be free for a phonecall/Facetime. I'm an international applicant, so last night (23:45 thereabout) should be around evening for you guys (16:45/17:45). I guess that means they aren't done sending acceptances. So be patient, guys. It'll come.

1 hour ago, SomethingBorrowed said:

Hi guys. Been lurking for the past few weeks and finally decided to chip in. I've felt a kind of kinship reading you guys, and can't wait to meet y'all when the fall session begins.

About Iowa, I got a mail from Sam Chang (for fiction) last night asking when I'll be free for a phonecall/Facetime. I'm an international applicant, so last night (23:45 thereabout) should be around evening for you guys (16:45/17:45). I guess that means they aren't done sending acceptances. So be patient, guys. It'll come.

This is MAJOR! Count that as a win, super congrats!! Where are you based??

20 minutes ago, litty said:

This is MAJOR! Count that as a win, super congrats!! Where are you based??

I’m from Nigeria. I’m very nervous. Wondering why she didn’t just call (as in the case of everyone else) but mailed to schedule one instead. Fingers crossed for an acceptance.

54 minutes ago, SomethingBorrowed said:

I’m from Nigeria. I’m very nervous. Wondering why she didn’t just call (as in the case of everyone else) but mailed to schedule one instead. Fingers crossed for an acceptance.

I'm sure for international students they prefer to arrange convenient times prior to calling. Although it's good news, might be inconsiderate to wake someone up at 3am, lol 

3 hours ago, SomethingBorrowed said:

Ooh many, many Congratulations!!! are you waiting for other places as well?

3 hours ago, SomethingBorrowed said:

Wow, congrats!! So great to hear about successes from other international applicants!! ?

3 minutes ago, GernderKitten said:

Oh no... I'm sorry to hear that

Yeahhh they said they were declining at least, but it's a rude shock since no one else on Draft had heard anything. I'm hoping that they haven't sent out all their initial offers yet, although I'd rather just know if I'm waitlisted for funding.

Got my first rejection. It's nice to finally know. After reading the form rejection letter, I reread the FAQ on the MFA page which made realize I could easily have gotten rejection purely based on the fact that the premise of my story has a speculative/magical realism element while the rest is realistic fiction.