2020 Applicants Forum

feralgrad

Hi everyone. I'm a newbie here. Just found this amazing forum amid the killing wait. Haha. Applied to Iowa, Cornell, Michigan, Brown, NYU and Stegner. My Applyweb portal doesn't change anything since I submitted. Is that a bit weird? 

Fingers crossed and best of luck to us all. :3

10 minutes ago, Karakoram said:

Hi everyone. I'm a newbie here. Just found this amazing forum amid the killing wait. Haha. Applied to Iowa, Cornell, Michigan, Brown, NYU and Stegner. My Applyweb portal doesn't change anything since I submitted. Is that a bit weird? 

If none of those schools have notified yet you should be fine if your portal hasn’t said anything. For Iowa I’m stuck on “In Progress” and Cornell didn’t change, all I know is that they definitely received it. Wish I could tell you more about the others.

7 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

If none of those schools have notified yet you should be fine if your portal hasn’t said anything. For Iowa I’m stuck on “In Progress” and Cornell didn’t change, all I know is that they definitely received it. Wish I could tell you more about the others.

Many thanks for your reply. I'm still on 'In progress' for Iowa too. Hope that they'll be sending out results soon. My heart literally jumps off any time I got a sound from my inbox haha. 

Best wishes from Spain.

13 minutes ago, Karakoram said:

Many thanks for your reply. I'm still on 'In progress' for Iowa too. Hope that they'll be sending out results soon. My heart literally jumps off any time I got a sound from my inbox haha. 

Best wishes from Spain.

Any time my phone rings, my heart pounds. It’s always spam though! Hopefully I’ll get a nice phone call soon. 

i got a message yesterday from UC Irvine financial aid office saying an update had been made to my application. I was at work and scrambled to reset my login information so I could check (I forget my passwords a lot but they’re all saved on my home computer). The portal wouldn’t let me log in – kept saying my user was forbidden – and I thought I’d tear my hair out. I kept thinking my future was locked behind an impossible tech error. I ended up having to wait to get home only to find the “update” was only that the financial aid office didn’t need anything else from me. :l 

3 minutes ago, anarchisttiger said:

Any time my phone rings, my heart pounds. It’s always spam though! Hopefully I’ll get a nice phone call soon. 

i got a message yesterday from UC Irvine financial aid office saying an update had been made to my application. I was at work and scrambled to reset my login information so I could check (I forget my passwords a lot but they’re all saved on my home computer). The portal wouldn’t let me log in – kept saying my user was forbidden – and I thought I’d tear my hair out. I kept thinking my future was locked behind an impossible tech error. I ended up having to wait to get home only to find the “update” was only that the financial aid office didn’t need anything else from me. :l 

Dear god, I’d say that’s worse than getting constant spam from a Syracuse number. UC Irvine definitely tried to give you a heart attack.

13 minutes ago, anarchisttiger said:

How mean. They really should have sent an E-mail or something when you originally applied (UMich did this; FinAid has some residency classification updates) rather than sending an 'update' ?

24 minutes ago, rbr542 said:

How mean. They really should have sent an E-mail or something when you originally applied (UMich did this; FinAid has some residency classification updates) rather than sending an 'update' ?

They sent an initial email saying they'd received my FAFSA, which was why I thought this mysterious "update" was something exciting!

2 hours ago, Karakoram said:

Another newcomer? Welcome, welcome. And all the way from Spain? Amazing. I applied to Iowa as well, good luck.

2 hours ago, Karakoram said:

Cool! we have three schools in common! good luck....I'm pretty sure Applyweb will not change, I don't even check it. 

Finally earned my "acceptance dream" badge. Last night I dreamed that I got accepted/funded at UMD (which I did not apply to this year).

Really nervous I'll have a repeat of last year, when I got accepted but didn't receive enough funding to go anywhere...

Edited by feralgrad

Last week, I had a dream that someone descended by umbrella A La Mary Poppins unto my desk at my day job and said, "I've been sent here to take you to the Iowa Writers Workshop." 

I should have mentioned this in my Statement of Purpose, that would have ensured admission. 

On 2/5/2020 at 11:39 AM, MFAhopeful57 said:

mine also says that yeah. Since acceptances and waitlist emails already went out, I'm assuming it's a loss. ?

fingers crossed for the each of us. I also applied to Umass (different program) and my status changed to update pending a moment ago. IDK if this is a loss but I am feeling less than positive. Still, I am hoping for the best. 

I can see myself in Amherst. I think I am a good fit.

Manifest!!!! 

Like most of you, I log on to check my application status more often than I should. I prefer seeing in progress instead of complete. Even though they both mean the same thing. Wishing everyone luck.

4 hours ago, MFALongshot said:

Another newcomer? Welcome, welcome. And all the way from Spain? Amazing. I applied to Iowa as well, good luck.

Thank you. Best of luck for all of us. Seems that everyone applied to the legendary Iowa. Haha. I'm Vietnamese, but studying in Spain. :D

3 hours ago, rbr542 said:

Cool! we have three schools in common! good luck....I'm pretty sure Applyweb will not change, I don't even check it. 

Great. What are yours? I'm checking it every day since the submission. Crazy I know haha. But the waiting is just unbearable. I can't help it. 

36 minutes ago, Karakoram said:

Great. What are yours? I'm checking it every day since the submission. Crazy I know haha. But the waiting is just unbearable. I can't help it. 

Iowa, UMich, Michener, BU, Cornell. Fiction in all of them. Based on GradCafe results, all of mine would begin notifying by end of next week or the Monday after.~trembling~ 

1 hour ago, rbr542 said:

Iowa, UMich, Michener, BU, Cornell. Fiction in all of them. Based on GradCafe results, all of mine would begin notifying by end of next week or the Monday after.~trembling~ 

That's so cool. Michener funding is just heaven. Haha. Back then I really wanted to apply but they asked for TOEFL, which I couldn't take because last year I was in Scotland and there's no test centre in the whole country. Haha. Good luck to you. Yeah, this time is tough I can imagine. Always on edge myself. :((

56 minutes ago, MFALongshot said:

Even more interesting. I want to visit Spain. I have some friends from Andalucía and Zaragoza.

Spain is a must. Cuisine and drinks are unbeatable haha. And incredibly cheap. ❤️ Now you can count Galicia as well. ;)

1 minute ago, Karakoram said:

That's so cool. Michener funding is just heaven. Haha. Back then I really wanted to apply but they asked for TOEFL, which I couldn't take because last year I was in Scotland and there's no test centre in the whole country. Haha. Good luck to you. Yeah, this time is tough I can imagine. Always on edge myself. :((

Did you get into Michener and didn't go because there was no TOEFL center??! Pretty sure they give you time for that.

1 minute ago, rbr542 said:

Did you get into Michener and didn't go because there was no TOEFL center??! Pretty sure they give you time for that.

No. I didn't even apply because I don't have a TOEFL. But I would have to drop some schools anyway because I already did too many and it cost a lot. Should have dropped them some emails to ask in the first place. Well, maybe that's destiny haha.

30 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

I feel terrible for asking everyone, but has anyone seen an email from WashU? The rejections go out historically at five their time, yeah?

I haven’t - very anxious.