2020 Applicants Forum

feralgrad

Just curious, does anyone else’s WashU portal still say “Ready for Review”? I would assume they’re notifying soon, so it seems a little weird to me. I’m sure I’m freaking out over nothing like usual though...

On 2/2/2020 at 12:00 PM, mjm7668 said:

Also, don't know if anyone else applied for Indiana, but here's part of the email they sent me when I finished my application. 

"Your application file will be advanced to the Admissions Committee in January, where it will receive its deserved full attention. Generally our committee has completed its first round of readings by the first week of February and have begun to make offers of admission. It is possible for applicants to be offered admission up to April 15th, depending on the acceptance rate from our first round."

That's this week ?

I did as well. Fingers crossed! 

24 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

Just curious, does anyone else’s WashU portal still say “Ready for Review”? I would assume they’re notifying soon, so it seems a little weird to me. I’m sure I’m freaking out over nothing like usual though...

I’m too scared to check.

16 minutes ago, bruin228 said:

I’m too scared to check.

They haven’t sent out acceptances yet (as far as I know, I’m not on draft), so it might just say what mine said. That being said, I’m compulsively checking it and I can’t stop, it’s probably better that you don’t check.

I found this article while compulsively doing all the things people do in February, if you haven't already; https://readtheworkshop.com/2016/03/14/next-year/ 

Lara Prescott went on to write "The Secrets We Kept," apparently the first chapter was a short-story she submitted for her apps. Really, really inspiring at this point of time. 

Edited by rbr542

11 minutes ago, rbr542 said:

I found this article while compulsively doing all the things people do in February, if you haven't already; https://readtheworkshop.com/2016/03/14/next-year/ 

Lara Prescott went on to write "The Secrets We Kept," apparently the first chapter was a short-story she submitted for her apps. Really, really inspiring at this point of time. 

I enjoyed this. I can’t wait until the day I start screaming because I was accepted somewhere. I’m currently in a Barnes and noble both hoping and not expecting to hear from a program soon.

4 hours ago, rbr542 said:

that was a great read, thanks

Question for everyone: What are you thinking of doing after getting an MFA? Yeah I want to teach/publish books, but I’m starting to wonder what other options are out there. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Ydrl

Whether or not I get into an MFA program, my goal is to write and publish novels. I'm working on one now and a few ideas for others but am making myself work on one at a time. I see an MFA as being part of a community that cares about your passion as much as you do. Most people in my life care about other things. My few writer friends we don't share what we write about  which is fine but it would be nice to have more of an overlap. Not against running a writing workshop afterwards but I could also be happy without doing that. I guess I don't really see a degree changing much but I'm open to being surprised.

Edited by buckles

1 hour ago, buckles said:

My few writer friends we don't share what we write about  which is fine but it would be nice to have more of an overlap.

Is this common for others in the forum as well? I've only got one writer friend. We share our stuff but mostly it's just me sending him stuff to read since he procrastinates and barely writes.

4 hours ago, MFAhopeful57 said:

mine also says that yeah. Since acceptances and waitlist emails already went out, I'm assuming it's a loss. ?

I just got an email telling my status changed but its still update pending :???

1 minute ago, MFAhopeful57 said:

Same; not sure what's up. Might be delayed? 

yep seems like everyone else is getting the same... brace yourself, rejection is coming ?

8 hours ago, MFALongshot said:

Is this common for others in the forum as well? I've only got one writer friend. We share our stuff but mostly it's just me sending him stuff to read since he procrastinates and barely writes.

I don’t really like sharing stuff with other people unless it’s in a workshop setting or other serious setting. Sharing with one of my two writer friends just results in the useless phrase “I like it”. I crave feedback, my work needs to be better.

10 hours ago, MFALongshot said:

I have two friends that I share my work with, and they give me useful feedback. I think it helps to ask pointed questions and be clear about the feedback you want. For example, when I email them my drafts, I'll often mention one or two things I'm not sure about (a specific scene, pacing, etc.).

Worse comes to worst, I'd also recommend an online workshop. I used a free trial of this one to polish my MFA portfolio, and it was a great resource. The quality of the reviews tends to be good since everyone on the website is serious about writing.

Edited by feralgrad

Yesterday I got an email from GMU with a rough timeline for funding announcements and info about visiting campus. I visited the program when I got in last year, and I'm wondering if it's a good use of time to visit again. I think it'd be nice to show face and shake hands and such, but I'm not sure... Thoughts?

2 minutes ago, feralgrad said:

Yesterday I got an email from GMU with a rough timeline for funding announcements and info about visiting campus. I visited the program when I got in last year, and I'm wondering if it's a good use of time to visit again. I think it'd be nice to show face and shake hands and such, but I'm not sure... Thoughts?

Depends on a lot of factors tbh. If it weren’t too far away from me it wouldn’t hurt to go again.

51 minutes ago, feralgrad said:

Is there a particular admitted student event? If there's an opportunity to meet other potential students, then yes, that might be a great use of time. You might meet someone that you really connect with and that may impact your decision. 

If it's an ad hoc, self-designed visit, where you basically go around and maybe have a quick face to face with some faculty admin, may not be as beneficial to oyu if you've done it before. Only you know where the gaps are.

In either case, will they connect you to current students you can ask questions?  

Anyone else a little unnerved by the lack of results in a program that historically notifies by now? I feel like I’m about to walk into Armageddon without any warning ahead of time

Edited by Ydrl