2020 Applicants Forum

feralgrad

3 minutes ago, MFAhopeful57 said:

Not sure if y'all know how to get into Draft or if the Admins are busy? I added my name like a week ago but it still says pending.

I had to wait two days to join -- this was roughly two weeks ago, and I assume it will only get worse until March/April. I think this is high tide for the admins, since this is also high tide for application results.

Edited by feralgrad

18 minutes ago, Dochinka96 said:

Ah, sorry to hear. Are you waiting on many others?

Thank you. Yeah, I'm still waiting on five others. This is my first application season. I didn't think I'd be this nervous / anxious, but I grit my teeth every time a new email or phone call comes in nowadays, haha.

35 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

Impulsively bought acrylic paint and tiny canvases (4 inches x 4 inches). See ya’ll later, I’ve got some tiny painting to do.

This sounds like a really good idea. I realized my neuroticism about this whole process peaked (hopefully)  a few days ago when I saw a missed call from Des Moines, Iowa. I got really excited until I remembered I didn't apply to Iowa, lol. Yes, it's that bad.

On a separate but related note: I noticed a huge uptick in spam calls shortly after I applied, and it seems that others have been reporting the same. Does this mean that schools are selling our numbers? Maybe their servers are being scraped by robo-calling bots? Either way, ugh.

2 minutes ago, PrettyinInk said:

On a separate but related note: I noticed a huge uptick in spam calls shortly after I applied, and it seems that others have been reporting the same. Does this mean that schools are selling our numbers? Maybe their servers are being scraped by robo-calling bots? Either way, ugh.

I noticed that too and wondered if the servers weren't secure (after all, most university websites are stuck in the early 2000s). But we also applied during the holiday season, which may have more to do with it.

2 minutes ago, feralgrad said:

I noticed that too and wondered if the servers weren't secure (after all, most university websites are stuck in the early 2000s). But we also applied during the holiday season, which may have more to do with it.

Ahh very true. I didn't think about the holiday season. I called the Iowa number back and it was one of those "You have won a cruise" recordings. Umm sorry, no thanks, maybe when this whole Corona virus thing gets sorted. ?

7 minutes ago, jen20 said:

Hey can someone too add me to the draft group. I am guessing  the admins are busy. i added myself 3 days back.

Edited by jen20

1 hour ago, Elirallo13 said:

thoughts abt vanderbilt/jhu coming today? do we think iowa is finishing today?

has anyone heard news on vanderbilt today? 

ive heard iowa staggers their admission notifications so probably not going to finish notifying by today :) 

keep it up everyone!!!

Time for a triple post because anxiety is compelling me to babble. Is 5 pm (in their time) generally the time that Iowa stops calling people? Or are there exceptions to the rule? Do we even know the answer?

7 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

Time for a triple post because anxiety is compelling me to babble. Is 5 pm (in their time) generally the time that Iowa stops calling people? Or are there exceptions to the rule? Do we even know the answer?

Take some time off from devices and try to relax, unwind...if they call, they call. I got the call around 9 pm eastern fyi.

59 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

47 minutes ago, rbr542 said:

Take some time off from devices and try to relax, unwind...if they call, they call. I got the call around 9 pm eastern fyi.

Ydrl it's ok to triple post...We're here for you.

Also thanks rbr for sharing that info. I also appreciate you sharing that that was your third try. Your perseverance is admirable.

Edited by MFALongshot

If anyone that got into schools (esp. Iowa) is feeling generous and wants to share their SOP and/or writing sample I'd be appreciative (I imagine other aspiring MFAers would as well). I looked to see if I could find any online as I was applying to get a feel for the quality and tone of the writing but couldn't find anything. I totally understand if you don't want to share; I'd be horrified to share my SOP. I'm just interested to see just how close or far from the mark I am. I also know that the admission process is subjective and what works at one time won't work at another, but I imagine the quality of the writing admitted remains fairly consistent across the board. 

Also, unrelated--I worked as a travel nurse for a hot minute and recruits from all over the country still call me at least once a day and it's making this waiting for a phone call experience all the more fraught. I got a call from NC this morning and thought it was NC state even though they have a later application due date and I probably won't hear for at lease a month or so.