Johns Hopkins SAIS 2020

CellucciK

2 hours ago, CellucciK said:

I haven't seen a post for this yet so thought I would make one. Waiting on the decision, should be coming out today!

You are not alone :) I am also waiting for the e-mail. Will update here once I get it. Good luck for us!

Edited by alik1514

15 minutes ago, CellucciK said:

I got into the SAIS Europe MA program! Funding is pretty good, $22k a year, but that still is a lot less than SIPA's and would leave me with a lot of debt. Decisions...

Congrats! By the way, is it not the portal? www.applygrad.jhu.edu? How did you view your results? I only see that the submitted applications

13 minutes ago, alik1514 said:

Congrats! By the way, is it not the portal? www.applygrad.jhu.edu? How did you view your results? I only see that the submitted applications

Once you click on your submitted application there should be a "status update" heading at the top of the page. They might still be updating applicants, as we haven't gotten emails yet. 

3 minutes ago, Lilly_Rose1 said:

Once you click on your submitted application there should be a "status update" heading at the top of the page. They might still be updating applicants, as we haven't gotten emails yet. 

Can you please update here once you get an e-mail? By the way, how is your result? Hope you get what you want. Thanks.

9 minutes ago, alik1514 said:

Can you please update here once you get an e-mail? By the way, how is your result? Hope you get what you want. Thanks.

I was accepted! DC campus. It is strange- I just received a scholarship award email (only $10,000) from them but still not a "go check the portal" notification email. Hope it all works out for you. 

56 minutes ago, Lilly_Rose1 said:

I was accepted! DC campus. It is strange- I just received a scholarship award email (only $10,000) from them but still not a "go check the portal" notification email. Hope it all works out for you. 

I also applied to DC campus, what is your concentration? There is no any news. Still waiting....

11 hours ago, alik1514 said:

I also applied to DC campus, what is your concentration? There is no any news. Still waiting....

My concentration is European and Eurasian Studies. Still nothing? Since it's past the December 20th deadline I'd say it is a good idea to send them an email.

2 hours ago, Lilly_Rose1 said:

My concentration is European and Eurasian Studies. Still nothing? Since it's past the December 20th deadline I'd say it is a good idea to send them an email.

Deferred to the next round. I applied to both the MA and MIEF. So, I have to wait until 6th of March.

• 4 weeks later...

I applied to the SAIS Global Risk MA in Bologna  way back in early November.

I just heard back that they want to schedule a "mandatory interview"

As you may know, as part of the application process, SAIS Europe conducts a mandatory interview for applicants to our campus. Most interviews will be conducted in early to Mid-February 2020 with a member of the Admissions Committee. We would be grateful if you could let us know, by no later than Sunday, January 19, 2020, how you would like to interview. As you might know, we hold both in-person and Skype/telephone interviews. Please know that, whether in-person or over the phone or Skype, interviews are conducted in the same way.

Do they do this for all applicants or just a certain pool?

Edited by Kevin1990

• 2 weeks later...

I applied to the MAIA in Bologna and some days ago I got an emailing asking me to let them know my preference regarding the interview (skype/phone/in person). It did not show the options for interview dates but when I emailed and asked them, they told me that they will come back with some options for me to choose. Still waiting but seems that the interview will be conducted in early Feb (for all applicants apply to Bologna campus). 

Good luck everyone! Fingers crossed for me too :))

On 1/27/2020 at 7:41 AM, KIMAMS said:

I applied to the MAIA in Bologna and some days ago I got an emailing asking me to let them know my preference regarding the interview (skype/phone/in person). It did not show the options for interview dates but when I emailed and asked them, they told me that they will come back with some options for me to choose. Still waiting but seems that the interview will be conducted in early Feb (for all applicants apply to Bologna campus). 

Good luck everyone! Fingers crossed for me too :))

So helpful! I just emailed them asking the same thing, but a relief to hear about the interview options. I applied to the MA program though. 

On 1/30/2020 at 8:54 PM, SAN1234 said:

So helpful! I just emailed them asking the same thing, but a relief to hear about the interview options. I applied to the MA program though. 

Last Friday, they sent me an email about the interview day and time and who I will have the interview with. Ah btw, there was only one option for me but as I am okay on that day, I already confirmed that I am available. Good luck to us all. 

Edited by KIMAMS

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, the Priscilla Mason Fellowship (covers 50% of tuition) deadline is this Friday, but it says it "will replace any financial aid currently being received from SAIS as well as any loans currently being used for tuition."

I'm going to call them tomorrow and ask if it would invalidate full or partial tuition scholarships if those would have been awarded but for the PM Fellowship application. The way they worded that is a little scary.

3 hours ago, AONomad said:

Hmm, the Priscilla Mason Fellowship (covers 50% of tuition) deadline is this Friday, but it says it "will replace any financial aid currently being received from SAIS as well as any loans currently being used for tuition."

I'm going to call them tomorrow and ask if it would invalidate full or partial tuition scholarships if those would have been awarded but for the PM Fellowship application. The way they worded that is a little scary.

Could you please tell us what you hear from them?

I'm also on the fence for this - it seems risky to commit yourself to 5 years in the public sector for only 50% tuition, given the recent state of federal hiring. Particularly at a school which places well in the private sector.

Edited by KyleR

Yeah of course, I'll let you guys know what they say.

And yeah, I think I'd prefer a 20-30% scholarship without restrictions over a 50% one that locks you into a particular career path (even if that's a career path I'm considering). 20-30% might be optimistic, but looking at past years, a minority of people got 50% and up to full rides... so hope springs eternal haha

In any event, we might be overthinking things since it seems the PM Fellowship is only awarded to "a student," singular. I'm sure there's someone really qualified and passionate who's going to snatch it up, lol. :)

I'll post tomorrow with an update.

7 hours ago, GoCParis said:

Has anyone done their interview for the Bologna program? I’m heading to NYC today for mine...

I did my interview for the Bologna program last week, but it was over Skype.

59 minutes ago, chande_ said:

I did my interview for the Bologna program last week, but it was over Skype.

I just finished mine in person. Was yours more of an interview or a conversation? It started off as very interview like and became increasingly casual, pleasantly so. 

@KyleR: I called and they asked me to e-mail the financial aid department instead of speaking on the phone. I sent them a bunch of questions annnd... their only response was "The Priscilla Mason Fellowship is not awarded to those going to the HNC. I would recommend connecting with the HNC office in DC to answer the specific questions  you have." heh

Their e-mail address is saisfinaidinfo@jhu.edu if you want to reach out yourself. I think I'm just not going to apply for it. If you only do 2 years or less of federal government work, the PM Fellowship only pays 13% of tuition... so I'd rather take my chances and cross my fingers that I get more than 13% scholarship tuition, lol.

HNC guarantees partial scholarships for all applicants, so hoping that's the right call, at least in my case. Best of luck with getting it if you decide to apply!