Johns Hopkins SAIS 2020

CellucciK

On 2/18/2020 at 4:23 PM, GoCParis said:

I just finished mine in person. Was yours more of an interview or a conversation? It started off as very interview like and became increasingly casual, pleasantly so. 

Mine was pretty casual also! I enjoyed it a lot, actually. My interviewer was the director of the concentration I chose (Latin American Studies), and honestly a good portion of the interview was her answering a couple of my questions and talking up the program. She asked me a few questions about my work and the policy essay I wrote for the application, but overall the interview was much more casual than I expected. My nerves were quickly calmed and I feel like she got a good sense of who I am, which I guess is the point! I came out of it with the impression that I have a pretty good chance, but who knows.

Happy to hear that it seems your interview went well also! Now the waiting game.

Does anyone know when decisions are supposed to come out?

My interviewer told me there are 2 people reading our applications: the interviewer and another one. Then they will have a meeting to decide who to be accepted and they will hand in the final list to the scholarship committee and the funding will be decided. The result will come out on 13th March. Well, if you notice it, that day is Friday 13th ...??

3 hours ago, KIMAMS said:

My interviewer told me there are 2 people reading our applications: the interviewer and another one. Then they will have a meeting to decide who to be accepted and they will hand in the final list to the scholarship committee and the funding will be decided. The result will come out on 13th March. Well, if you notice it, that day is Friday 13th ...??

I was last person to interview the day I went in and the Director of Admissions came over to say hello. She had said we could hear as early as March 6th, but the 13th seems much more realistic.

22 hours ago, chande_ said:

Mine was pretty casual also! I enjoyed it a lot, actually. My interviewer was the director of the concentration I chose (Latin American Studies), and honestly a good portion of the interview was her answering a couple of my questions and talking up the program. She asked me a few questions about my work and the policy essay I wrote for the application, but overall the interview was much more casual than I expected. My nerves were quickly calmed and I feel like she got a good sense of who I am, which I guess is the point! I came out of it with the impression that I have a pretty good chance, but who knows.

Happy to hear that it seems your interview went well also! Now the waiting game.

Does anyone know when decisions are supposed to come out?

My interview was very similar. The interviewer spent a surprising amount of time talking about the program, and shared quite a bit about his time as a student.

I also walked away with the impression that I had a good a chance ? fingers crossed!

Best of luck everyone!

31 minutes ago, GoCParis said:

My interview was very similar. The interviewer spent a surprising amount of time talking about the program, and shared quite a bit about his time as a student.

I also walked away with the impression that I had a good a chance ? fingers crossed!

Best of luck everyone!

An HNC alumna told me these programs have a much higher acceptance rate than you'd think since it's a pretty niche degree that doesn't necessarily increase earning capacity, so people who apply tend to be committed and passionate. So I think we probably all have a pretty good chance, if that's true!

In my MAIA Bologna interview they said theyre “shooting for the 6th” and that acceptances and finaid offers would be same day, which is super exciting. 

Since were posting about interviews (and for future applicants who are looking for info on it) mine was very relaxed and more informative/getting to know me. In one of their blogs they mention that the key thing they’re looking for is a solid reason for attending SAIS Europe and that you understand how it fits into your career goals. Once I articulated that it seemed like a good interview. I was challenged on my GPA but that’s fine. I had a zoom interview and she was reading through my application and asking direct questions from it which was kinda cool as it gave me a chance to elaborate. The interview definitely increased where I rank this program, to me it’s a very exciting option and if the money works out I could see myself going. 

Guys, finally time is almost up and we are all impatiently waiting for the decisions. I have a question.

Did you get any e-mail from your concentration director after a while submitting your application?
I completed my application on Oct. and got an e-mail from the concentration director on Dec. He gave me a brief information about the programme and urged me to sign up a class visit or skype interview (even it's not mandatory for DC applicants.)
Did you get any info or similar mail from your concentration director?
By the way, I applied to both 2 years MA and MIEF for early notification but my application is deferred to the regular period.

I didn't, but I submitted my application like 4 hours before the deadline, lol.

I did get e-mails earlier suggesting that I could sign up for a Skype interview, but don't think it was from the program or concentration director. Don't recall exactly.

Only contact with my concentration director was concerning language requirements.

20 hours ago, AONomad said:

I ran across a post from a few years back and it seems probably on the day they listed (March 6 for this year) after 6 p.m.

That's so precise! I just login the website. It seems they hided all the materials received and only left reference number and contact info? Is it just me or same for the rest of you? Thanks!

20 minutes ago, ax062320 said:

That's so precise! I just login the website. It seems they hided all the materials received and only left reference number and contact info? Is it just me or same for the rest of you? Thanks!

Yup mine looks like that now~

39 minutes ago, AONomad said:

@PupCakes Replying over here since we were getting off topic on the other thread:

Eh, at least for my program, the 2018-2019 class's middle 50% GRE quantitative score range was 151-160, so I think the econ/quant background thing is overplayed.

Good to know! Fingers crossed, then!

1 minute ago, AONomad said:

I just checked, mine still has the full checklist. Ruh roh.

For all we know that could be good and we could all be screwed ?

Or it could mean absolutely nothing and they're doing things in batches, lol.

This is the notification schedule. It says the direct admission will be released on March 6th so I think those apply for Washington will get the result on that day, and those to Bologna will be on 13th ? My interviewer told me that I will know the result on 13th so I won't get anything on 6th. I applied to Bologna btw, both 2 years. Cos I love pasta ?

https://sais.jhu.edu/admissions/masters-program-admissions/how-apply/how-apply-maia

Edited by KIMAMS