Johns Hopkins SAIS 2020

CellucciK

I am in! One year in Bologna and one year in DC! Was also alarmed to not see anything about financial aid...I completed the FAFSA, but it seems like the email SAIS Europe folks didn’t mention aid at all...

All the best, everyone!

I'm in!!!I didnt bother waiting for an e-mail. 2 year MA in DC. I just have to do a prerequisite course, which is strange. Congrats to everyone who got in and good luck to those who are still waiting!! No word on funding in the letter. i applied for IDev program but no mention of that either...

its 2AM in Korea, but i don't see myself sleeping anytime soon. i'm ecstatic.

Edited by teddyawesome

7 minutes ago, teddyawesome said:

I'm in!!!I didnt bother waiting for an e-mail. 2 year MA in DC. I just have to do a prerequisite course, which is strange. Congrats to everyone who got in and good luck to those who are still waiting!! No word on funding in the letter. i applied for IDev program but no mention of that either...

its 2AM in Korea, but i don't see myself sleeping anytime soon. i'm ecstatic.

I had a conditional offer in December because SAIS said I hadn't completed the economics prerequisite. I called and asked them to take a closer look at my transcript, and they quickly removed the conditions. If you think the conditions are wrong, you should reach out.

23 minutes ago, mpp2020- said:

Just got an update for DC MA! I am in! good luck to everyone. 

Same! Got in for MA I-DEV! Congrats and all the best to everyone else :)

Just now, thediesel said:

I had a conditional offer in December because SAIS said I hadn't completed the economics prerequisite. I called and asked them to take a closer look at my transcript, and they quickly removed the conditions. If you think the conditions are wrong, you should reach out.

Will do! thanks for the advice.

Just now, frdaa19 said:

Did your offer specifically mention that it’s for I-DEV?

No, but that's the only focus area I applied to. I'd spoken to the I-DEV Dean in December in an Admissions Event, and all candidates are offered the track of their choice - though they do have the liberty to switch tracks once they're on campus.

Just now, policywonk12 said:

No, but that's the only focus area I applied to. I'd spoken to the I-DEV Dean in December in an Admissions Event, and all candidates are offered the track of their choice - though they do have the liberty to switch tracks once they're on campus.

Thanks for the clarification. I’m in! And applied for I-DEV too. Congratulations to you. 

4 minutes ago, policywonk12 said:

If you go to the "accept your offer" form on the admission letter, you have the option to request a switch to your concentration. The way it is laid out makes it seem likely they will grant your request. They say "I would like to update my concentration to:", not "I would like to request a change to..."

Also, the deadlines to accept are April 20 for Scholarship offers and May 1 for non scholarship.

Edited by KyleR

Just now, KyleR said:

If you go to the "accept your offer" form on the admission letter, you have the option to request a switch to your concentration. The way it is laid out makes it seem likely they will grant it.

Also, the deadlines to accept are April 20 for Scholarship offers and May 1 for non scholarship.

Thanks for checking and clarifying! 

2 hours ago, AONomad said:

I just checked the portal as well— got into HNC Certificate + MA, but no update yet for the separate application just for the DC MA.

I did not receive an email, only the portal was updated. Also said financial aid info will be sent later if any is given. Edit: oh I see you already posted that section of the letter Anthony, haha.

Best of luck to those still refreshing!

Will be attending the program? 

Also got into the MA program with one year in Nanjing at HNC!! ?Feels so good to have my first acceptance! YAY! Congrats to everyone else! Who's going to accept their offer? 

4 minutes ago, Yass said:

Also got into the MA program with one year in Nanjing at HNC!! ?Feels so good to have my first acceptance! YAY! Congrats to everyone else! Who's going to accept their offer? 

I'm still waiting to hear back from Columbia SIPA about admission/aid and American SIS about aid. Once I have everything, I can do a cost-benefit analysis. Accepting the SAIS-Tsinghua program is what I want to do, but if Columbia or American is significantly cheaper, I may need to go that route. I really don't want to take out a PLUS loan, and although the $10500 per year scholarship SAIS awarded me last December is generous, it is a drop in the bucket for the total program cost. We'll see what happens, I suppose.

4 minutes ago, thediesel said:

I'm still waiting to hear back from Columbia SIPA about admission/aid and American SIS about aid. Once I have everything, I can do a cost-benefit analysis. Accepting the SAIS-Tsinghua program is what I want to do, but if Columbia or American is significantly cheaper, I may need to go that route. I really don't want to take out a PLUS loan, and although the $10500 per year scholarship SAIS awarded me last December is generous, it is a drop in the bucket for the total program cost. We'll see what happens, I suppose.

I also considered the Tsinghua dual degree program in the beginning but since the curriculum at HNC is in Chinese and at Tsinghua it's in English, I chose the Certificate program instead. 

BTW just received the scholarship/funding information! Check your email inboxes and see if you've got anything. 

I'M IN! I applied for the MAIA first year Bologna program. For anyone wondering about merit awards: about an hour after my acceptance email I got a separate email about aid. Feeling very grateful to have been awarded 12,500 per year, although this will still be a difficult decision!

I just got my scholarship e-mail too. Got 10k for HNC, 20k for the first year in DC, and 10k for the final semester in DC. Not bad at all... that's really exciting, I might be able to not have crushing debt for the rest of my career haha. Need to make some calculations but looks like I'll probably end up going to SAIS instead of Georgetown probably unless they give me a fellowship over there.

Edited by AONomad

"Students awarded scholarship funds must maintain full-time status and a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.4 for continuance of funding."

Not gonna lie that's a little scary, especially since I read some of the professors at HNC grade quasi-arbitrarily-- on top of the program being in a foreign language. Hrm.

I'm in! MA in DC. I haven't seen any emails regarding funding so I'm assuming I won't be getting any. I can't believe I wen't 4/4 with applications & acceptances. My head is spinning. lol.