Johns Hopkins SAIS 2020

CellucciK

43 minutes ago, KyleR said:

Thank you! It looks like we both did ok without the Priscilla mason scholarship :)

Haha for real. I just crunched some numbers though, and it looks like Georgetown comes out the same or cheaper for me than SAIS, even with the scholarship. So Gonna go over there and stay in DC for the 2 years most likely. Gonna talk it over with some professors.

38 minutes ago, thediesel said:

What were both of your stats?

My GRE was 162 verbal, 155 quant (lol), 5.0 writing. Undergrad gpa was 3.6 or 3.7 thereabouts, law school gpa was 3.21. Work experience was... I think 3 years in total but the vast majority was part time or internships.

1 minute ago, Bubba94 said:

I also got $27,000 and MSFS offered $31,881 so I guess that's MSFS for me! Also got full tuition from Yale which is amazing but also it's not a major IR school so lots of decisions ahead! Although the most expensive program (Conflict Res at Georgetown) is still where my heart is at

Oh my goodness those are amazing options, hella congrats!

I applied to the DC Program and, while i got in and am receiving $16,000 per year in merit aid, the loans column was blank. Entirely blank. Which makes no sense considering my EFC on the FAFSA is super low. 

Is there a way to appeal this do you think? Or could Federal loans be coming out later?

1 minute ago, Tomes said:

I applied to the DC Program and, while i got in and am receiving $16,000 per year in merit aid, the loans column was blank. Entirely blank. Which makes no sense considering my EFC on the FAFSA is super low. 

Is there a way to appeal this do you think? Or could Federal loans be coming out later?

You should contact them immediately. Did you enter the correct school code in the FAFSA? I had the maximum loan amount available, which is $20500 per year.

Edited by thediesel

24 minutes ago, thediesel said:

You should contact them immediately. Did you enter the correct school code in the FAFSA? I had the maximum loan amount available, which is 21000 per year.

I sent them an email soon after. Also, I entered in the correct code in the FAFSA. Hopefully it's an error but I'm concerned that this will also apply to all the other programs I applied for

Edited by Tomes

27 minutes ago, ax062320 said:

Just curious, how do you renegotiate it?

The general practice is listing all other offers and financial aid you’ve received from other universities. They’re clearly well-endowed and there’s a good chance that they might increase the scholarship by a few more thousands.

I was accepted today to the MAGR! :)

So far I also have offers from LSE for an MsC. in Regulation and from King's College London for their International Political Economy program.

I have a previous postgrad degree from LSE as well.

Edited by Kevin1990

4 hours ago, policywonk12 said:

The general practice is listing all other offers and financial aid you’ve received from other universities. They’re clearly well-endowed and there’s a good chance that they might increase the scholarship by a few more thousands.

Congrats on getting accepted into so many great programs! Curious to know if you already have a favourite program.

Congrats to everyone on getting accepted!

I was accepted to SAIS MA DC as well as Georgetown MSFS. My concentration is IDEV for both. It's obviously hard to compare since they're both great programs, but I'm trying to figure out which IDEV concentration is the better choice. I found a decent amount of information about SAIS' IDEV concentration online, but not as much about MSFS' IDEV. From what I've been told by those working in DC, MSFS is the best overall IR program, while the SAIS IDEV program in particular is stellar -- many of those opinions were based on program reputation.

Does anyone have any insight regarding each program's IDEV concentration (coursework/preparation, job placement, student body, etc.)?

5 hours ago, Yass said:

Congrats on getting accepted into so many great programs! Curious to know if you already have a favourite program.

Thank you so much! :) My favourite non-STEM program would be the Princeton MPA (who doesn't like a full-ride?) because they've South Asian centric coursework and have close ties with the multilateral I'm working with, currently. And my favourite STEM would be the MDP because of its flexibility+small class size/location, though the coursework in UPenn MSSP-DA is also fairly impressive, as are their research opportunities. Haven't gotten into Princeton and UPenn but keeping my fingers crossed ?

2 hours ago, travelering said:

Congrats to everyone on getting accepted!

I was accepted to SAIS MA DC as well as Georgetown MSFS. My concentration is IDEV for both. It's obviously hard to compare since they're both great programs, but I'm trying to figure out which IDEV concentration is the better choice. I found a decent amount of information about SAIS' IDEV concentration online, but not as much about MSFS' IDEV. From what I've been told by those working in DC, MSFS is the best overall IR program, while the SAIS IDEV program in particular is stellar -- many of those opinions were based on program reputation.

Does anyone have any insight regarding each program's IDEV concentration (coursework/preparation, job placement, student body, etc.)?

The class size of I-DEV is 25 people, with near equal representation from developing countries. Since students have to do a year-long capstone in their second year, the chances of those getting converted to job offers is quite high. SAIS' proximity to headquarters of many well-known think tanks (they share a wall and a canteen with Brookings!) and multilaterals (being in the city centre) is far more advantageous than Georgetown's, which is on the city outskirts. Many SAIS alums I know are well-placed at Carnegie, J-PAL/EPoD, the World Bank etc. in both operations as well as research. Their Econ coursework is quite highly valued by students and from what I've been told, they also invest more in professional development of students. The entire program team is very hands-on with the career services team. So, when it comes to I-DEV, I'd say SAIS certainly trumps Georgetown

Edited by policywonk12

1 hour ago, policywonk12 said:

The class size of I-DEV is 25 people, with near equal representation from developing countries. Since students have to do a year-long capstone in their second year, the chances of those getting converted to job offers is quite high. SAIS' proximity to headquarters of many well-known think tanks (they share a wall and a canteen with Brookings!) and multilaterals (being in the city centre) is far more advantageous than Georgetown's, which is on the city outskirts. Many SAIS alums I know are well-placed at Carnegie, J-PAL/EPoD, the World Bank etc. in both operations as well as research. Their Econ coursework is quite highly valued by students and from what I've been told, they also invest more in professional development of students. The entire program team is very hands-on with the career services team. So, when it comes to I-DEV, I'd say SAIS certainly trumps Georgetown

Thanks for all that info! The more I learn about the SAIS IDEV program the more I like it. Georgetown's smaller MSFS cohort size, which I like, isn't all that advantageous when the SAIS IDEV class size is only 25 people.

You've got a lot of great options. Good luck with Princeton and UPenn!

3 hours ago, policywonk12 said:

I actually used to live down the street from their dc building! It’s a good location but I think the move to the newseum will be even bigger, you’ll be having lunch at pret a manger with all sorts of interesting people 

6 minutes ago, jdkrieje said:

does anybody know the tuition for the sais preterm???!

https://sais.jhu.edu/admissions/pre-term/tuition-sais-europe-pre-term

looks like it’s here. I’m most likely going to preterm (I passed the Econ requirements, I would go to help get settled/ learn Italian ) 

Edited by Byrek

5 hours ago, thediesel said:

Well American SIS just offered me double what SAIS did. Time to try and negotiate more funding. 

does sais have a scholarship reconsideration form?? or do you do that individually???  Harris sent admitted students a reconsideration form so was wondering if sais has a similar process

9 minutes ago, jdkrieje said:

does sais have a scholarship reconsideration form?? or do you do that individually???  Harris sent admitted students a reconsideration form so was wondering if sais has a similar process

I’m not sure. I have a previously scheduled call with an administrator next week. I’ll just bring it up. All else equal, SAIS is my top choice. Really don’t want to have to decline because of funding. 

11 hours ago, thediesel said:

Well American SIS just offered me double what SAIS did. Time to try and negotiate more funding. 

Yeah SIS gave me a coverdell scholarship. SIS is cheap if you’re comparing dc schools, but about the same as the MAIA program I was accepted to. Hopefully this give me some leverage. 

12 hours ago, thediesel said:

I’m not sure. I have a previously scheduled call with an administrator next week. I’ll just bring it up. All else equal, SAIS is my top choice. Really don’t want to have to decline because of funding. 

Would you mind telling me how the call went next week??  I actually need more funding in order to attend.. and I guess I'll have to renegotiate as well.

Also, does anyone know if admitted students can change campus?

16 minutes ago, pau188 said:

Would you mind telling me how the call went next week??  I actually need more funding in order to attend.. and I guess I'll have to renegotiate as well.

Second that! Would also be interested to know how to renegotiate scholarship offers. 

I am an international student and unfortunately Sais did not offer any financial aid. I regard private loans but not sure about it yet. 
I heard of that Sais may offer a generous scholarship for the students who have a high GPA in their second year. 
Is it true?

8 hours ago, pau188 said:

I also called admissions before applying and they said you could change things after acceptance. Later I was told in my interview that this was possible and it didn’t sound like a huge deal, so if you’re considering it doesn’t hurt to ask

12 hours ago, pau188 said:

11 hours ago, Yass said:

Second that! Would also be interested to know how to renegotiate scholarship offers. 

Yeah, I'd be happy to. I'm going in not expecting anything, but this administrator and I have been in contact via email for over a month and she knows how passionate I am about the SAIS-Tsinghua program. Maybe she can pull some strings.