Johns Hopkins SAIS 2020

CellucciK

1 hour ago, AONomad said:

I did, but it was sent to me directly from my program's director, since I had already said I was going to be declining the admission offer. It wasn't a general e-mail blast

Hi, I am curious: are you declining the SAIS offer purely based on financial reasoning, or are there other factors? Thank you!

Edited by graduate2020

2 minutes ago, graduate2020 said:

Hi, I am curious: are you declining the SAIS offer purely based on financial reasoning, or are there other factors? Thank you!

I was also admitted to Georgetown's MASIA program, and because that one is one full year + one part-time year, it ends up being cheaper than the 2.5 years of full time study (1 in Nanjing and 1.5 in DC) even taking the scholarship into consideration. My end goal is also to work in DC rather than China, so in some sense I feel like I don't need to spend more time over there (already studied abroad in China twice).

Edited by AONomad

I was also admitted to Georgetown's MASIA program, and because that one is one full year + one part-time year, it ends up being cheaper than the 2.5 years of full time study (1 in Nanjing and 1.5 in DC) even taking the scholarship into consideration. My end goal is also to work in DC rather than China, so in some sense I feel like I don't need to spend more time over there (already studied abroad in China twice).

As far as I know, it is possible to do the whole program in 4 semesters if you choose classes wisely in Nanjing and tailor them to the concentration.

Got it, thank you! Best of luck to you! 

56 minutes ago, Yass said:

As far as I know, it is possible to do the whole program in 4 semesters if you choose classes wisely in Nanjing and tailor them to the concentration.

Yeah, Ms. Saam from the HNC admissions office implied as much... but then in that case I'd be concerned that maybe 1 year isn't enough time to do a lot of networking in DC on top of a full time MA program, vs. having two years to find a job with the Georgetown one and the second year being part-time. Also, judging from past posts on this forum, it sounds like the SAIS career office is a little more hands-off than the Walsh one, so students have to hustle more on their own for internships. (It's probably easier at SAIS given proximity to think tank row, but still.)

In any case, I just sent my financial aid reconsideration form, so we'll see what happens. :)

Edited by AONomad

Yeah, Ms. Saam from the HNC admissions office implied as much... but then in that case I'd be concerned that maybe 1 year isn't enough time to do a lot of networking in DC on top of a full time MA program, vs. having two years to find a job with the Georgetown one and the second year being part-time. Also, judging from past posts on this forum, it sounds like the SAIS career office is a little more hands-off than the Walsh one, so students have to hustle more on their own for internships. (It's probably easier at SAIS given proximity to think tank row, but still.)

In any case, I just sent my financial aid reconsideration form, so we'll see what happens. :)

Yeah makes sense! As an international student from Europe, for me personally it is not that important to network in DC since I might be returning to Europe for jobs after graduation. I'd also consider jobs in China since my family is there so that makes it a bit different from your situation. 

Good luck with the financial aid reconsideration! :)

I’m likely going to defer for SAIS (if that’s an option?), and attempt to work as much as possible over the next year. I’d like to knock some time off of my Boren federal service requirement in the meantime since I don’t plan to stay in government, but I’m not sure if that’s realistic. 

Hi guys. I just accepted the offer and paid the $500 fees, and I have only received one  confirmation email about payment but no instructions on what to do next. Did this happen to you as well?

Take care and stay safe guys

1 hour ago, Yass said:

Hi all, have you already received a response regarding your financial aid reconsideration?

Nope it's due the April 3rd!  I tried to call both the D.C and Europe Office but it seems like the buildings are all closed... and nobody is replying back.. 

8 hours ago, AONomad said:

It's April 17. ?

cbce50cb96.png

Thanks! At least it is before the April 20th deadline. I'm currently deciding between SAIS (20k per year scholarship) or SIPA (no aid at all). Any thoughts on that or anyone in a similar situation?

3 hours ago, Yass said:

Thanks! At least it is before the April 20th deadline. I'm currently deciding between SAIS (20k per year scholarship) or SIPA (no aid at all). Any thoughts on that or anyone in a similar situation?

In a similar situation. Leaning towards SAIS, given that SIPA aid reconsideration is released after the SAIS enrollment deadline.  I would be eager to hear others' thoughts as well!

5 hours ago, Yass said:

I have an April 15 deadline at Georgetown's Walsh School. Waiting to hear back if I'm awarded the FLAS Fellowship there, which is apparently quite competitive. I'm planning to do the $500 deposit and confirm admission since that's my top choice, but if SAIS approves my request to more than double my scholarship... I'll likely end up reneging on Georgetown. I'm not sure how much that's frowned upon, but I'm sure they're aware it happens since they all coordinate admissions marketing and yet don't have a standardized enrollment deadline. I imagine that's what waitlists are for anyway. Don't think it's a big deal.

2 hours ago, sloop7 said:

In a similar situation. Leaning towards SAIS, given that SIPA aid reconsideration is released after the SAIS enrollment deadline.  I would be eager to hear others' thoughts as well!

Per my comment above: I think it's fine to renege as long as you're okay with losing the deposit. You need to do what's best for your financial/career future. If SIPA ends up being $10k, 20k, $60k?! cheaper, then you need to put that first and not worry about whether an intangible institution is going to take offense after they made things more complicated for you.

2 hours ago, AONomad said:

I have an April 15 deadline at Georgetown's Walsh School. Waiting to hear back if I'm awarded the FLAS Fellowship there, which is apparently quite competitive. I'm planning to do the $500 deposit and confirm admission since that's my top choice, but if SAIS approves my request to more than double my scholarship... I'll likely end up reneging on Georgetown. I'm not sure how much that's frowned upon, but I'm sure they're aware it happens since they all coordinate admissions marketing and yet don't have a standardized enrollment deadline. I imagine that's what waitlists are for anyway. Don't think it's a big deal.

Per my comment above: I think it's fine to renege as long as you're okay with losing the deposit. You need to do what's best for your financial/career future. If SIPA ends up being $10k, 20k, $60k?! cheaper, then you need to put that first and not worry about whether an intangible institution is going to take offense after they made things more complicated for you.

You might want to try asking for an extension of the enrollment deadline first (and make sure they promise that an extension would still let you keep any scholarship of course). That way you might not have to lose the $500. None of mine should even overlap but that's what I plan to do for both SAIS and Fletcher because I don't want 2 days to decide in case the three schools I've been accepted to turn out to be roughly the same price. I can report back on their responses if that's helpful. 

Edited by sare123

15 hours ago, AONomad said:

Good call, I'll try that if I'm not awarded the FLAS Fellowship (if I am, it'll be cheaper to go there than SAIS regardless of the financial aid reconsideration decision).

Is the FLAS Fellowship only for Georgetown? Thought several universities have it... not very familiar with it though since I read it's only for US nationals.

No it's not only for Georgetown, not sure exactly how it works but it seems either different universities choose how to distribute the funding differently or maybe some get more than others, because SAIS also listed it among the available funding sources (for HNC) but it was for significantly less value than GT's.

On 3/24/2020 at 8:25 AM, sloop7 said:

About to submit the same form. But just curious that will they withdraw my current fund if they decide not to provide more?