Johns Hopkins SAIS 2020

CellucciK

1 minute ago, AONomad said:

"Students awarded scholarship funds must maintain full-time status and a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.4 for continuance of funding."

Not gonna lie that's a little scary, especially since I read some of the professors at HNC grade quasi-arbitrarily-- on top of the program being in a foreign language. Hrm.

Oof. That is terrifying honestly. Most programs only ask that you keep a 3.0 right? 

3 minutes ago, AONomad said:

"Students awarded scholarship funds must maintain full-time status and a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.4 for continuance of funding."

Not gonna lie that's a little scary, especially since I read some of the professors at HNC grade quasi-arbitrarily-- on top of the program being in a foreign language. Hrm.

That's why I went for the Tsinghua program instead. I love the HNC, but my Mandarin definitely isn't good enough to take technical classes not taught in English. If you feel confident in your ability, don't let that that condition stop you!

6 minutes ago, thediesel said:

That's why I went for the Tsinghua program instead. I love the HNC, but my Mandarin definitely isn't good enough to take technical classes not taught in English. If you feel confident in your ability, don't let that that condition stop you!

It will definitely be a challenge taking classes in Chinese but I think after that year of hard work, my Chinese will be amazing haha

11 minutes ago, PupCakes said:

I'm in! MA in DC. I haven't seen any emails regarding funding so I'm assuming I won't be getting any. I can't believe I wen't 4/4 with applications & acceptances. My head is spinning. lol.

Which other programs did you apply/get in? Do you already know where you'll go? 

1 minute ago, Yass said:

Which other programs did you apply/get in? Do you already know where you'll go? 

I applied to American SIS, GWU Elliott School, Georgetown MSFS, and SAIS. I think I'm going to go with Georgetown, as it was my top choice. ?

18 minutes ago, thediesel said:

I'm not confident in my ability at all! I legitimately guessed or made reasonably calculated wild assumptions on like 80% of the STAMP test questions lol. I don't think I was supposed to have passed rofl

I'm going to have to do an immersion program this summer if SAIS ends up being the school I choose, I think. Need to factor that into the cost calculations.

Does everyone get their temporary iD immediately after logging in with the SIS ID? Can't access the FinAid page even after following the steps in their PDF

Edited by policywonk12

Just received the offer for SAIS MA in for IDEV! Also received the link for financial aid, but haven't login. If I did not get the scholarship, will it still send a link for me to login? Or simply saying no funding? Just curious

44 minutes ago, policywonk12 said:

Does everyone get their temporary iD immediately after logging in with the SIS ID? Can't access the FinAid page even after following the steps in their PDF

Yes, same here. But it does say we have wait for at least an hour??? is it XXXXX@jh.edu?

5 minutes ago, AONomad said:

Yoooooooooo that's heckin' loads! Congrats man!!!

6 minutes ago, KyleR said:

My Financial aid is out for DC!

46K a year...I'm losing it. GW offered me nothing, and I spent last weekend thinking I had dramatically overestimated my chances...

What were both of your stats?

Edited by thediesel

Ok, update. I did get an aid offer, but it's not much considering cost of attendance. $16,000, but if I'm reading it right, it's only for the first year. 

10 minutes ago, thediesel said:

What were both of your stats?

My situation was pretty unique so I'm going to post in the results page when all of my schools get back to me, but for now:

3.75 double major - economics, international studies

GRE: 170V 168Q 5.5 AW

1 year (full-time post grad) work experience - US military.

Hope that helps.

I got the status update/acceptance email for the MA program and then the aid email two and a half hours later. So everybody worrying about the aid, I think they're still in the process of sending those notices out. 

I got $27k a year.

Regarding this, I'm pretty sure it's for both years; most of these programs phrase it as just first year but state that it's renewable in small print somewhere. Can anyone else confirm about SAIS in particular?

17 minutes ago, PupCakes said:

Ok, update. I did get an aid offer, but it's not much considering cost of attendance. $16,000, but if I'm reading it right, it's only for the first year. 

Edited by tacos95
add funding

10 minutes ago, KyleR said:

My situation was pretty unique so I'm going to post in the results page when all of my schools get back to me, but for now:

3.75 double major - economics, international studies

GRE: 170V 168Q 5.5 AW

1 year (full-time post grad) work experience - US military.

Hope that helps.

Very impressive. You more than deserve that funding!

I also got $27,000 and MSFS offered $31,881 so I guess that's MSFS for me! Also got full tuition from Yale which is amazing but also it's not a major IR school so lots of decisions ahead! Although the most expensive program (Conflict Res at Georgetown) is still where my heart is at