Pissed off at this whole process (clinical psych PhD)

helpmeugh

Honestly, there’s no way to predict success in this process and you’ll make yourself crazy trying. Assuming you have decent credentials, everything else is up to fit, politics, and a lot of luck. 

For example, I was not a great applicant (unlike a lot of you guys!). Good GPA/GRE, but weaker CV because I was at a low ranked rural undergrad. Yet I got accepted into some programs over other interviewees with many more publications and presentations (I know because I googled them...). On paper, they probably deserved it more than me, but that proves you never know how admissions will turn out. 

1 hour ago, Dr.MOM said:

Can you explain what you mean by this or how you know this? 

I think they mean that, as long as you submit your application before the deadline (usually Dec 1), timing doesn't impact your application. An application submitted on September 30th has the same impact as one submitted on November 30th; things may get dicey if materials are submitted after the deadline though.

7 minutes ago, corbeau0 said:

I think they mean that, as long as you submit your application before the deadline (usually Dec 1), timing doesn't impact your application. An application submitted on September 30th has the same impact as one submitted on November 30th; things may get dicey if materials are submitted after the deadline though.

May I ask where you've been offered admission?

6 hours ago, corbeau0 said:

Yes, you got it ?

Totally understand your frustrations and your feelings are completely valid! The only thing I would suggest is to try and use this as a learning/growth opportunity. If you can begin to train yourself to focus on your experiences and successes, independent of comparisons and/or judgments of others around you, your grad school journey (and career) will be so much richer. If you allow your "wins" to be dampened by the fact that you can find others who, from your vantage point, are winning "more" you'll always be left wanting. Mindfulness is a great tool to cultivate in this regard! Good luck!!

4 hours ago, PsychPhdBound said:

Totally understand your frustrations and your feelings are completely valid! The only thing I would suggest is to try and use this as a learning/growth opportunity. If you can begin to train yourself to focus on your experiences and successes, independent of comparisons and/or judgments of others around you, your grad school journey (and career) will be so much richer. If you allow your "wins" to be dampened by the fact that you can find others who, from your vantage point, are winning "more" you'll always be left wanting. Mindfulness is a great tool to cultivate in this regard! Good luck!!

SO MUCH THIS. One of my favourite sayings to keep in mind (not just for this process, but in general) is "Comparison is the thief of joy".