Teachers College: Columbia University Applications Fall 2020!

irisjade

4 hours ago, finnley said:

hi all! i was just accepted to the M.A. Higher and Postsecondary Education. I got an email 2/20 saying a decision was made.

However, it does seem a bit early since when I emailed the admissions office a week before inquiring about when decisions would be released, they said early-mid march. can't wait to hear from everyone else and wishing everyone good luck!! ?

Congratulations @finnley ! I’m waiting for a response in the same program. I applied on January 9 and I feel like i should have a decision by now. Super nervous lol 

12 hours ago, phd_applicant said:

Have anyone applying for the PhD in Education Policy been interviewed?

The first piece of information I've seen (a rejection) was reported yesterday on the results page; otherwise it doesn't seem like much has been shared in terms of interviews/admissions.

From looking at past years, there aren't any documented interviews on the results page since 2016, so perhaps they currently don't do interviews for this program? It seems unusual but not unheard of.

6 hours ago, trekhgornyval said:

The first piece of information I've seen (a rejection) was reported yesterday on the results page; otherwise it doesn't seem like much has been shared in terms of interviews/admissions.

From looking at past years, there aren't any documented interviews on the results page since 2016, so perhaps they currently don't do interviews for this program? It seems unusual but not unheard of.

Yes, it seems weird tho...I am applying to the same program in other schools and they have interviewed me... 

20 hours ago, irisjade said:

Congratulations @finnley ! I’m waiting for a response in the same program. I applied on January 9 and I feel like i should have a decision by now. Super nervous lol 

Thank you!! I wouldn't be too nervous, the admissions office emailed me saying decisions generally come out early-mid march so you still got time! :) good luck!!

On 2/24/2020 at 3:28 PM, irisjade said:

I applied to the MA in Higher and Postsecondary Education. Did you apply to an MA program too? Also, which forum are you looking at? I can’t find much on TC. Can you link it here please! I also think we will hear back this week! :)

This thread. Folks heard back as late as March 15 so no need to worry yet:)

6 minutes ago, emgh said:

This thread. Folks heard back as late as March 15 so no need to worry yet:)

I hope I heard back by next week because I would have to accept USC’s offer and it’s $1,000 to accept. I want to go to TC more, though. So don’t know what to do! Stressing lol 

2 minutes ago, Sissi Chen said:

Congratulations!!!! Did you hear anything back from NYU?

Not yet. Re financial aid, in the accepted students portal, you can check the financial award letter. Did you receive anything? I only got a loan so not sure if they’ll be giving any additional scholarships. Do you know?

40 minutes ago, seskande said:

Not yet. Re financial aid, in the accepted students portal, you can check the financial award letter. Did you receive anything? I only got a loan so not sure if they’ll be giving any additional scholarships. Do you know?

Did you see your financial award letter already? I just checked and couldn't find that tab. I guess so far I have nothing... What else did you reply? Will you consider TC?

6 hours ago, Sissi Chen said:

Did you see your financial award letter already? I just checked and couldn't find that tab. I guess so far I have nothing... What else did you reply? Will you consider TC?

Yes. Only FAFSA loan so far. Yes TC definitely my top choice but waiting to hear from other places. You? 

2 hours ago, seskande said:

Yes. Only FAFSA loan so far. Yes TC definitely my top choice but waiting to hear from other places. You? 

EdD and PhD are totally different track, I am still hesitating. I will wait for some other places and see, I didn’t apply to too many.  

Program: 

So I applied for the Doctor of Education in Curriculum and Teaching (non-priority) I figured I would share some of my stats while I wait to hear back.

Stats: 

Degrees and GPA: Masters in Education: Curriculum and Teaching (3.5 GPA) School is a mid size state school that is an R2, Bachelor of Arts: Philosophy (3.0 GPA) School is a Catholic Private School, Associate in Science: Human Services (3.61 GPA) small private liberal arts college. 

Background: 

I work as a part-time faculty member at a small liberal arts college where I teach online upper-level and lower-level philosophy and social science courses. I also have two years as an instructor of record during my masters, where I was teaching education technology (online) and cultural studies courses (face to face). I also worked for Johns Hopkins: Center for Talented Youth as a teaching assistant for two summer terms. I also have various service positions as a grad student and a small grant / few travel awards. I have presented at multiple conferences. I know I have strong letters of recommendation because my recommenders let me read them. (One is from a leading scholar in the field of Play) 

Weak parts of my app:

I research college teaching, and therefore my research only falls under the curriculum studies concentration and is not exactly a perfect fit for the program. 

I have horrible GRE’s scores - they were taken in 2016, and I do not test well -- I will never retake them. 

If anything kills me it is my research fit but hoping because the course work isn't rigid I may have a shot.