Teachers College: Columbia University Applications Fall 2020!

irisjade

Hey Everyone! I haven't seen a thread for Teachers College at Columbia University! I thought I would start the thread with my program of choice and stats. I think we all would love for people to ask questions, share stats, share acceptances/denials. :) 

Program: Higher and Post Secondary Education 
GPA: 3.81 
Undergrad Major: Sociology 

I'm really scared about this whole process and anticipating results!!

Hi! I applied to the International Educational Development program! I received teaching licenses in Special, Early Childhood, ESL, and Bilingual education in my undergrad! Looking forward to seeing who all applied!

• 3 weeks later...

Just spoke to the admissions office about timeline for Ed Policy PhD decisions. They expect decisions to go out in the next 2 weeks, no more than 3. If anyone else is anxious about the timing it won't hurt to call :)

On 1/21/2020 at 9:15 AM, puravida428 said:

Hi! I applied to the International Educational Development program! I received teaching licenses in Special, Early Childhood, ESL, and Bilingual education in my undergrad! Looking forward to seeing who all applied!

I applied to the IED program at TC, too. Nothing from TC yet. 

Hi! Does anyone know when scholarship/ fin aid decisions are usually made? I was just wondering if what you are offered at admission is essentially as much as you'll end up getting by the end of the period (clearly my programme made admissions decisions quite quickly as it's only feb). Received a 15k tc scholarship at the same time as I was offered admission (MA candidate), but I've heard departmental scholarships typically come out later? (and I know they have other institutional scholarships too -- has anyone been given a tc international scholarship?) 

Edited by guest197537

I applied to the Ed Policy PhD and haven't heard anything yet HOWEVER, I just logged into my portal (obsessively checking for any signs of communication at this point) and noticed that it looks like I now have TWO applications submitted. The second says it was started and submitted today (2/23). I'm wondering if this is a sign of some kind of movement being made? Perhaps a recommendation to a masters program instead? Though, I don't think I indicated I would be interested in that because I already have a masters degree. Has this happened to anyone else?? 

Edit: Just an observation that the reference number for the two applications is the same

Edited by sunflower1717

2 hours ago, sunflower1717 said:

I applied to the Ed Policy PhD and haven't heard anything yet HOWEVER, I just logged into my portal (obsessively checking for any signs of communication at this point) and noticed that it looks like I now have TWO applications submitted. The second says it was started and submitted today (2/23). I'm wondering if this is a sign of some kind of movement being made? Perhaps a recommendation to a masters program instead? Though, I don't think I indicated I would be interested in that because I already have a masters degree. Has this happened to anyone else?? 

Edit: Just an observation that the reference number for the two applications is the same

Wow! That is so interesting, I wonder if it's a glitch or actually means something. We'll see this week. I'm pretty sure a lot of acceptances/denials will come out this week. So nervous!

22 hours ago, sunflower1717 said:

i've seen on past forums that this has happened before to people who have applied for PhDs and been recommended for an M.Ed?

22 minutes ago, guest197537 said:

i've seen on past forums that this has happened before to people who have applied for PhDs and been recommended for an M.Ed?

Thanks for sharing! I figured it was something like that, but guess I'll just have to wait and see for sure. On most applications, I selected that I would not be interested in being considered for masters programs, but I honestly cannot remember for sure what I put on the TC app and of course, I didn't save a copy. 

34 minutes ago, emgh said:

I read on last years forum that decisions for most MA programs are made late February/early March. Folks who received offers (congrats :D) -- was it indicated on the portal? I'm hoping to hear something soon

I applied to the MA in Higher and Postsecondary Education. Did you apply to an MA program too? Also, which forum are you looking at? I can’t find much on TC. Can you link it here please! I also think we will hear back this week! :) 

hi all! i was just accepted to the M.A. Higher and Postsecondary Education. I got an email 2/20 saying a decision was made.

However, it does seem a bit early since when I emailed the admissions office a week before inquiring about when decisions would be released, they said early-mid march. can't wait to hear from everyone else and wishing everyone good luck!! ?

On 2/16/2020 at 3:51 PM, Tea_Drinker said:

I applied to the IED program at TC, too. Nothing from TC yet. 

I saw someone got accepted on the results page. I still haven't heard anything yet, but I am noticing decisions are starting to come out!

On 2/22/2020 at 4:49 AM, Justice4All said:

Hello! I was just admitted to the counseling psych PhD program at TC. Can't wait to meet some of you all there!

Hi @Justice4All! Congratulations! How many days after the interview did you receive your admit?