Speech Pathology Online Programs - Decisions!

Hi all,

I've recently been accepted to three online programs for Speech Language Pathology: Emerson College, NYU-Steinhardt, and Baylor University for the May 2020 cohort. YAY!! The obvious con is that all three are super expensive.. but I'm willing to make the investment for flexibility and quality programs. I am waiting to hear back from a few other programs, but wanted some feedback regarding these three in the meantime.

Are there any graduates from any of these programs that could weigh into my decision? Good or Bad? Or, has anyone heard any information that would be helpful to decision making? I feel like I've researched the whole internet looking for ratings/opinions but I know these programs are fairly new so I haven't found much. I'm trying to keep this short and sweet but open to giving more info if needed. I didn't think I'd be accepted into all 3.. so I thought it would be helpful to weigh in some opinions. BIG DECISIONS-- HELP!

Programs:

NYU-Steinhardt (online), Emerson College (online), Baylor University (online), Lamar University, University of Houston, University of St. Augustine (online), Our Lady of the Lake University

Applied, Accepted, Interview, Waitlisted, Denied

Hi there! I am currently a student at NYU's program and about to start my second semester next week. So far so good! I have enjoyed the professors and the coursework and feel that the first semester went well for the most part. I also live in New York so I do go on campus to study which is helpful. Feel free to ask me any other questions you have specifically about the school! 

I know all of them are expensive but the only determining factor for me would be cost of the program. Which one is the least expensive? I am also applying to all of those programs as well! Congrats on getting in to all 3. 

14 hours ago, speechie264 said:

@emdspeech I recently applied for the May Cohort as well. If you don't mind me asking when did you submit your application for Baylor? What was the timeline for their decision?

I just completed my application to Baylor a few days ago. My admissions counselor informed me that I should expect a decision around 6-8 weeks. Although, she also told me people have been getting their decisions much earlier than that. I'd be interested to see what the actual turnaround time has been for other applicants. 

Congratulations EMDSpeech! 

I was accepted to NYU and Emerson last year and thought I would reach out and let you know that if you can explain why you believe that you should be awarded financial aid/scholarships, they might offer you a $5,000 grant. This isn't for each semester or year, but it is a start and could help you decide :)

Best luck!

Hello! I applied to Speech@Baylor and Speech@Emerson as well. I submitted my application for Baylor mid November. The admissions counselor I worked with recommended I complete my application a month prior to the priority deadline. It was officially submitted to faculty two weeks ago. I haven’t heard back from them yet. My friend applied the same day I did and two days ago, she received an email that her application was denied. I submitted my application for Emerson early December. I got an email to schedule an interview the next day. My interview was Jan 3rd and my application was officially submitted on Jan 16th. I received an email that I was accepted two days later. I know a lot about how Emerson works but I can’t seem to find any information on how Baylor works. They are both really expensive programs but I am a mom and online programs are my only option. One of my classmates is currently at Emerson and says it’s  rigorous.

@MadisonMachelle Thank you for sharing this! Do we reach out to the financial aid office for this opportunity? 

23 hours ago, speech97 said:

Hi there! I am currently a student at NYU's program and about to start my second semester next week. So far so good! I have enjoyed the professors and the coursework and feel that the first semester went well for the most part. I also live in New York so I do go on campus to study which is helpful. Feel free to ask me any other questions you have specifically about the school! 

@speech97Congrats on completing your first semester! Glad to hear it's been good for you so far.. I've heard great things about the professors and know one recent grad that felt her education was very high quality (her only complaint was cost). How many hours per week do you normally dedicate towards studying and classes? Also, I've read that NYU focuses more on theory/research than other programs.. do you feel that's true? That's kind of what draws me towards the program.. just so worried if the cost is actually worth it. THANK YOU responding and being willing to answer questions! :)

20 hours ago, speechie264 said:

@emdspeech I recently applied for the May Cohort as well. If you don't mind me asking when did you submit your application for Baylor? What was the timeline for their decision?

@KEIM  Baylor and NYU are pretty comparable in pricing, Emerson is the least expensive. I'm tempted to make a final decision based on that too.. And my application timeline is below!

@speechie264 I submitted my application on November 20th, sent updated transcripts December 17th and got the call that I was accepted on January 21st. I submitted all three applications pretty much the same day, and Baylor was for sure the slowest and the admissions counselor was in contact the least. They've been nice and helpful, but just not as efficient with the application process. Hope they get back to you soon!

GOOD LUCK to both of you-- I hope you get in, keep me updated!!

1 hour ago, bilingualspeechlife said:

Hello! I applied to Speech@Baylor and Speech@Emerson as well. I submitted my application for Baylor mid November. The admissions counselor I worked with recommended I complete my application a month prior to the priority deadline. It was officially submitted to faculty two weeks ago. I haven’t heard back from them yet. My friend applied the same day I did and two days ago, she received an email that her application was denied. I submitted my application for Emerson early December. I got an email to schedule an interview the next day. My interview was Jan 3rd and my application was officially submitted on Jan 16th. I received an email that I was accepted two days later. I know a lot about how Emerson works but I can’t seem to find any information on how Baylor works. They are both really expensive programs but I am a mom and online programs are my only option. One of my classmates is currently at Emerson and says it’s  rigorous.

@MadisonMachelle Thank you for sharing this! Do we reach out to the financial aid office for this opportunity? 

@bilingualspeechlife I'm a mom too-- that's also why my preference is online programs. It's so encouraging to hear I'm not the only mama dreaming to get a SLP graduate degree. Emerson was also MUCH quicker getting back to me with a decision.. they were the first. NYU was a few weeks after, and I just heard from Baylor this week. My exact timeline is the comment above :)

Which program are you favoring so far? I'm rooting for you-- GOOD LUCK!

52 minutes ago, emdspeech said:

@KEIM  Baylor and NYU are pretty comparable in pricing, Emerson is the least expensive. I'm tempted to make a final decision based on that too.. And my application timeline is below!

@speechie264 I submitted my application on November 20th, sent updated transcripts December 17th and got the call that I was accepted on January 21st. I submitted all three applications pretty much the same day, and Baylor was for sure the slowest and the admissions counselor was in contact the least. They've been nice and helpful, but just not as efficient with the application process. Hope they get back to you soon!

GOOD LUCK to both of you-- I hope you get in, keep me updated!!

Thanks so much for all the helpful information about the timeline! I'm also a Mom as well, which is why online programs work best for my lifestyle. I do know that Baylor is 100% online with no time required on campus. Unlike, NYU and Emerson which do require some time on campus. But, I don't think it's a significant amount of time. It's another thing to consider. 

1 hour ago, emdspeech said:

@bilingualspeechlife I'm a mom too-- that's also why my preference is online programs. It's so encouraging to hear I'm not the only mama dreaming to get a SLP graduate degree. Emerson was also MUCH quicker getting back to me with a decision.. they were the first. NYU was a few weeks after, and I just heard from Baylor this week. My exact timeline is the comment above :)

Which program are you favoring so far? I'm rooting for you-- GOOD LUCK!

I think I am favoring Emerson so far. I like that we have the opportunity to visit the campus, clinic, and meet professors/classmates. One of my friends just started Baylor last week but I haven't had the opportunity to talk to her about the program. I've heard Emerson is very demanding and not as flexible as students think. I'm currently a SLPA 40 hours a week but I am planning on going part time or quitting once I start a program. I'm currently in the Speech@Emerson Facebook group and many students mention spending 40-50 hours a week on their coursework. I wish I knew a little more about Baylor!

What about you? ? Thank you so much, rooting for all of you! 

To all of the posters that mention how expensive the online schools are, I HIGHLY suggest you apply to ENMU because classes are significantly cheaper and they are also an accredited school with lots of alumni, 100% praxis pass-rate and employment in the 90+percentiles! 

I'm taking some online courses through them and liked them so much that I'm applying to their distance program. The only fall back is that they require you to be on campus for ~4 months. 

9 hours ago, MadisonMachelle said:

To all of the posters that mention how expensive the online schools are, I HIGHLY suggest you apply to ENMU because classes are significantly cheaper and they are also an accredited school with lots of alumni, 100% praxis pass-rate and employment in the 90+percentiles! 

I'm taking some online courses through them and liked them so much that I'm applying to their distance program. The only fall back is that they require you to be on campus for ~4 months. 

I would apply there in a heart beat if it weren't for the 4 month time commitment! I've also heard they are giving priority to their current students as well. 

On 1/24/2020 at 12:00 PM, MadisonMachelle said:

I've heard ENMU has a great program and is super affordable, however I can't leave my hubby & baby for 4 months and he's got a business in our city.. so unfortunately it's a no-go for us ?

On 1/23/2020 at 9:38 PM, KEIM said:

Thanks so much for all the helpful information about the timeline! I'm also a Mom as well, which is why online programs work best for my lifestyle. I do know that Baylor is 100% online with no time required on campus. Unlike, NYU and Emerson which do require some time on campus. But, I don't think it's a significant amount of time. It's another thing to consider. 

YAY another mom! Yes, I did notice that about Baylor.. however I found out recently that with Baylor I'd have to retake ALL of my foundational courses (although I got As in them, they're over 5 years old....) and Emerson is not. Waiting to hear from NYU regarding this. It's also the same price comparatively as NYU and I've been favoring NYU's program. So I'll respond to Baylor tomorrow that I won't be attending.

Down to two! Hoping for good news for you!

4 hours ago, emdspeech said:

YAY another mom! Yes, I did notice that about Baylor.. however I found out recently that with Baylor I'd have to retake ALL of my foundational courses (although I got As in them, they're over 5 years old....) and Emerson is not. Waiting to hear from NYU regarding this. It's also the same price comparatively as NYU and I've been favoring NYU's program. So I'll respond to Baylor tomorrow that I won't be attending.

Down to two! Hoping for good news for you!

Oh no! That’s a deal breaker. Are you sure Emerson doesn’t have the same requirement? At a recent webinar Emerson said the foundational courses couldn’t be more than 5 years old. I guess I was misheard. 

1 hour ago, MadisonMachelle said:

The 5+ year requirement might just be based on a case by case basis.

@KEIM Yes, on their website and information it says they have that requirement.. but I guess since my grades were high and I've maintained an SLP-A license since 2014, they were approved. I agree with @MadisonMachelle -- I think it's a case by case basis.. up to the discretion of the admissions committee!

3 hours ago, emdspeech said:

@KEIM Yes, on their website and information it says they have that requirement.. but I guess since my grades were high and I've maintained an SLP-A license since 2014, they were approved. I agree with @MadisonMachelle -- I think it's a case by case basis.. up to the discretion of the admissions committee!

That’s good news! I’m glad Emerson takes other factors into consideration when it comes to the 5 year expiration date for the foundational courses. 

On 1/23/2020 at 9:34 PM, emdspeech said:

@speech97Congrats on completing your first semester! Glad to hear it's been good for you so far.. I've heard great things about the professors and know one recent grad that felt her education was very high quality (her only complaint was cost). How many hours per week do you normally dedicate towards studying and classes? Also, I've read that NYU focuses more on theory/research than other programs.. do you feel that's true? That's kind of what draws me towards the program.. just so worried if the cost is actually worth it. THANK YOU responding and being willing to answer questions! :)

Thank you! I just began my second semester and I would say that I study almost every day with the exception of some weekends. I would say about 6-10 hours per week on one class. It also depends on the material covered that week. The thing I love most about the program is that we are able to watch the asynch lectures as many times as we want which is so helpful! It really allows you to go back and grasp the material. The professors are honestly amazing.. I've loved every single one of them and they are always so helpful. As for more theory/research.. I do not really feel that's been the case. Who knows down the line! But we do read a lot of research and lots of it is cited, however many of the professors also work in the field and speak about their experiences/ relate it to the field during the live sessions. I am taking a research class this semester though which I do enjoy so far! Feel free to ask any other questions, happy to help! 

Cost is hefty but I believe it will be worth it in the end. NYU has many connections and its reputation speaks for itself. I don't really have anything negative to say other than cost! 

Hi Everyone, 

Congratulations to those of you who got accepted so far! 

I got my first acceptance letter today with a deadline to respond in two weeks with a deposit. I am eager to accept and pay the deposit to save my spot but the school that accepted me is the most expensive one I applied to. If I make the deposit and change my mind later on because I am accepted by a more affordable school, is it possible to withdraw from the program for another one? I know I will lose my deposit for sure.. I'm just afraid to commit to the first school that accepted me especially because it is the most expensive one. 

19 hours ago, speechlang said:

Hi Everyone, 

Congratulations to those of you who got accepted so far! 

I got my first acceptance letter today with a deadline to respond in two weeks with a deposit. I am eager to accept and pay the deposit to save my spot but the school that accepted me is the most expensive one I applied to. If I make the deposit and change my mind later on because I am accepted by a more affordable school, is it possible to withdraw from the program for another one? I know I will lose my deposit for sure.. I'm just afraid to commit to the first school that accepted me especially because it is the most expensive one. 

I had the same question! Hopefully, someone will be able to answer. 

1 hour ago, speechie264 said:

@speechlang @KEIM That is my plan! I don't see why we couldn't. I'm sure they expect people to change their minds since they have a waiting list. ?

I'm glad to hear I am not alone!!! Thank you for replying!! Good luck to both of you!!