Speech Pathology Online Programs - Decisions!

On 1/29/2020 at 3:33 PM, speech97 said:

Thank you! I just began my second semester and I would say that I study almost every day with the exception of some weekends. I would say about 6-10 hours per week on one class. It also depends on the material covered that week. The thing I love most about the program is that we are able to watch the asynch lectures as many times as we want which is so helpful! It really allows you to go back and grasp the material. The professors are honestly amazing.. I've loved every single one of them and they are always so helpful. As for more theory/research.. I do not really feel that's been the case. Who knows down the line! But we do read a lot of research and lots of it is cited, however many of the professors also work in the field and speak about their experiences/ relate it to the field during the live sessions. I am taking a research class this semester though which I do enjoy so far! Feel free to ask any other questions, happy to help! 

Cost is hefty but I believe it will be worth it in the end. NYU has many connections and its reputation speaks for itself. I don't really have anything negative to say other than cost! 

This is so helpful-- thank you for taking the time to answer! I've heard that from many NYU students-- that they LOVE the program, only complaint is cost. Which like you, many feel are worth it. Thanks again!

On 1/31/2020 at 12:10 PM, SS2020 said:

Can you share your GPA and GRE stats? I am thinking of applying to emerson and was wondering what your stats were?

Sure! Cumulative GPA is 3.89, CSD GPA is 4.0. GRE was 149 Q, 150 V, and 4.5 AW. I have 3.5 years experience as an SLP-A in Texas-- home health, ages 2-12 within multicultural and low-income families. Also a little international work as well. I graduated with my BS in 2014. I felt I wrote a strong personal statement, and had two professors + a supervisor write letters of rec for me. Hope that helps! 

GOOD LUCK!

On 2/4/2020 at 5:07 PM, speechietobe1 said:

I just found out that I've been accepted to Baylor's online program!! Has anyone else heard from them or plan on attending? 

Congrats! When did you apply? I'm waiting for a decision. The waiting game is hard!

On 1/23/2020 at 7:22 PM, bilingualspeechlife said:

Hello! I applied to Speech@Baylor and Speech@Emerson as well. I submitted my application for Baylor mid November. The admissions counselor I worked with recommended I complete my application a month prior to the priority deadline. It was officially submitted to faculty two weeks ago. I haven’t heard back from them yet. My friend applied the same day I did and two days ago, she received an email that her application was denied. I submitted my application for Emerson early December. I got an email to schedule an interview the next day. My interview was Jan 3rd and my application was officially submitted on Jan 16th. I received an email that I was accepted two days later. I know a lot about how Emerson works but I can’t seem to find any information on how Baylor works. They are both really expensive programs but I am a mom and online programs are my only option. One of my classmates is currently at Emerson and says it’s  rigorous.

@MadisonMachelle Thank you for sharing this! Do we reach out to the financial aid office for this opportunity? 

Hi! I am applying to Emersons online program and have everything completed but still need to do the virtual interview. Would you mind sharing what sorts of things they ask or the format of the interview? Thank you so much for any feedback!

On February 5, 2020 at 10:01 PM, KEIM said:

Congrats! When did you apply? I'm waiting for a decision. The waiting game is hard!

Thank you so much! I applied right before the deadline. I was cutting it close but I was hesitate about the tuition. I decided to apply anyways and I'm glad I did! 

I applied to University of South Carolina, University of Montana, Eastern New Mexico, Nova Southeastern (May Cohort), Western Kentucky, and Idaho State - their online programs and have been accepted to Baylor for the May cohort. I was wondering if anyone else applied to these schools and if so if you have heard back yet! 

57 minutes ago, speechietobe1 said:

I applied to University of South Carolina, University of Montana, Eastern New Mexico, Nova Southeastern (May Cohort), Western Kentucky, and Idaho State - their online programs and have been accepted to Baylor for the May cohort. I was wondering if anyone else applied to these schools and if so if you have heard back yet! 

I also applied to the distance learning programs at WKU and Idaho State but haven't heard back yet!

On 2/11/2020 at 5:29 AM, speechietobe1 said:

I've applied to Montana and haven't heard anything yet. I did receive an email stating that they will be sending out decision no later than April 1st. I will already have all my other decisions by then so not sure I'll even be attending there if I am accepted there. 

2 hours ago, KEIM said:

I've applied to Montana and haven't heard anything yet. I did receive an email stating that they will be sending out decision no later than April 1st. I will already have all my other decisions by then so not sure I'll even be attending there if I am accepted there. 

Yeah some schools make their decisions so late. I honestly don't think it's right. We pay so much money for applications and additional fees and their deadline was in January so they would have plenty of time to review applications! 

On 2/11/2020 at 1:36 PM, AnnaM said:

@bilingualspeechlife I also applied to Emerson. Interviewed on January 28, application completed on February 7 and still waiting on the decision. Any advice on how they operate? I applied for Fall 2020 Program.

I interviewed on Jan 2nd, my application was submitted on Jan 13th,  and I was accepted on 1/18. My advisor said I would hear back in 3-6 weeks but they are really fast at getting decisions out. Hopefully you hear back from them soon! Best of luck! :)

On 2/11/2020 at 3:36 PM, AnnaM said:

@bilingualspeechlife I also applied to Emerson. Interviewed on January 28, application completed on February 7 and still waiting on the decision. Any advice on how they operate? I applied for Fall 2020 Program.

@AnnaM The turnaround was only a few weeks for me (from full submission to acceptance phone call/email) but I applied for the May 2020 cohort.. which I think they're still sending out decisions for. So they could be prioritizing those students first, then Fall 2020 students? I'm not really sure though since it's rolling admission. I would bet they'd get back with you soon (if they haven't by now). GOOD LUCK!

Edited by emdspeech

On 2/12/2020 at 11:23 PM, bilingualspeechlife said:

I interviewed on Jan 2nd, my application was submitted on Jan 13th,  and I was accepted on 1/18. My advisor said I would hear back in 3-6 weeks but they are really fast at getting decisions out. Hopefully you hear back from them soon! Best of luck! :)

Thank you !! Is this for May 2020 cohort or September?

On 2/17/2020 at 9:52 PM, emdspeech said:

@AnnaM The turnaround was only a few weeks for me (from full submission to acceptance phone call/email) but I applied for the May 2020 cohort.. which I think they're still sending out decisions for. So they could be prioritizing those students first, then Fall 2020 students? I'm not really sure though since it's rolling admission. I would bet they'd get back with you soon (if they haven't by now). GOOD LUCK!

Thank you !!! I applied for September 2020, so I'm still waiting !

21 hours ago, bilingualspeechlife said:

I applied for May 2020! :) I'm sure you will be hearing soon, if you haven't already!

Have you heard back from Baylor? I applied on their early deadline. I need to know!

On 2/21/2020 at 6:45 PM, KEIM said:

Have you heard back from Baylor? I applied on their early deadline. I need to know!

Hello! No, I have not heard back from Baylor! I'm a little disappointed to have not heard back yet. I also submitted my application for their early priority deadline. Hopefully you hear back soon. Did you hear back from Emerson already? My friend just interviewed about two weeks ago but she has not heard back. 

On 2/21/2020 at 6:45 PM, KEIM said:

I was accepted to Baylor. I heard from my admissions counselor on Tuesday and got an official acceptance letter today. Since I've been out of school for 6 years, I have to retake all of my foundational courses. It's so frustrating because I got As in all of them and have been a SLPA for 5 years. For that reason, I will not be attending. Hope you've heard back from them too! :) Best of luck! 

On 2/26/2020 at 8:24 PM, bilingualspeechlife said:

I was accepted to Baylor. I heard from my admissions counselor on Tuesday and got an official acceptance letter today. Since I've been out of school for 6 years, I have to retake all of my foundational courses. It's so frustrating because I got As in all of them and have been a SLPA for 5 years. For that reason, I will not be attending. Hope you've heard back from them too! :) Best of luck! 

I still haven't heard back! Although, my application wasn't officially complete until a few weeks after the deadline. I'm getting nervous. 

On 1/24/2020 at 9:33 PM, KEIM said:

I would apply there in a heart beat if it weren't for the 4 month time commitment! I've also heard they are giving priority to their current students as well. 

I'll just say that we're reminded over and over that where you get your degree doesn't matter to Medicare: An NYU grad is going to be reimbursed for an MBS the same as an Emerson grad, traditional or online.  Please make a smart choice.

Edited by FutureCCCSLP

On 2/23/2020 at 8:48 PM, bilingualspeechlife said:

Hello! No, I have not heard back from Baylor! I'm a little disappointed to have not heard back yet. I also submitted my application for their early priority deadline. Hopefully you hear back soon. Did you hear back from Emerson already? My friend just interviewed about two weeks ago but she has not heard back. 

I haven't heard back from Emerson yet. I interviewed on Feb 11th. The admissions rep said the turn around time has taken around 3 weeks. Well, it's been longer than that so I'm not feeling hopeful. 

On 3/6/2020 at 8:30 AM, FutureCCCSLP said:

I'll just say that we're reminded over and over that where you get your degree doesn't matter to Medicare: An NYU grad is going to be reimbursed for an MBS the same as an Emerson grad, traditional or online.  Please make a smart choice.

I agree, I plan on picking the most affordable program. Although these online programs are so expensive.

Edited by KEIM