2020 Waitlist Thread

Schrödinger's_Doge

18 hours ago, malaphor said:

Typically, when do we start to see movement on waitlists? 

April 7 thru April 15 is a LOT of movement.

To this day I don't know why my post got such mixed reactions. Punchline: People need to make decisions, including notifying schools that they will inevitably turn down but just don't feel like turning down. It is in everyone's interest to be a grownup and do something uncomfortable, like closing doors on good offers that aren't your best offers.

Is it considered bad form to ask what the standard funding package is for incoming grad students when you are on the waitlist?

I'm deciding whether to stay on a waitlist or give up my spot, but I know that I would only accept the offer if the funding is above a certain number (which I suspect it is not). But I don't want to give up my spot without knowing for sure. Anyone have any idea how to ask or if it's normal to do that?

5 hours ago, platonetsocrate said:

Is it considered bad form to ask what the standard funding package is for incoming grad students when you are on the waitlist?

I'm deciding whether to stay on a waitlist or give up my spot, but I know that I would only accept the offer if the funding is above a certain number (which I suspect it is not). But I don't want to give up my spot without knowing for sure. Anyone have any idea how to ask or if it's normal to do that?

Go ahead and ask. I would just email the DGS and be straightforward about the decision you're making. They might not give you very precise info if the funding packages vary widely, but there's not reason you should feel back about asking. 

11 hours ago, platonetsocrate said:

Nope, you should definitely go ahead. Especially as we get closer to April 15th, it's important for you to have all the information you need to make a snap decision if required.

I'm waitlisted at one school which apparently is  the only choice for me this year. I got one paper published last winter but didn't mention it in my application. I'm confuced if I should update this info to addmissions or not, because the journal is not well-known. wait or update?

47 minutes ago, NGfromthes said:

I'm waitlisted at one school which apparently is  the only choice for me this year. I got one paper published last winter but didn't mention it in my application. I'm confuced if I should update this info to addmissions or not, because the journal is not well-known. wait or update?

I don't think that that's good idea. The fact that you are waitlisted shows that the admission committee has already read your WT so they know your work. It will be more likely to cause backfires if you do so.

Edited by exaznable

22 hours ago, exaznable said:

I don't think that that's good idea. The fact that you are waitlisted shows that the admission committee has already read your WT so they know your work. It will be more likely to cause backfires if you do so.

Thank you, make sense. That's what I'm worried about, dont really want to mess it up.

Hi all! I got mostly waitlists last year, I can say this. On April 15th I received 3 offers (one of which I accepted). On April 16th I received another offer, still. So in reply to the first question, some people hear movement very early, but some of us do not hear anything until the day of.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone else still on the waitlists currently?

I have only got waitlists at two schools this year. One sent an email which says that they will not make any additional offers before April 15 and they encourage me to consider reapplying, which I take it to be a rejection.

And the other (U of Alberta)  replied on April 15th that they were not yet done with PhD admission, but it does not look very likely that they will be able to offer me admission currently, and they will confirm the results at a later point.

I think this would probably also turn out to be a rejection. But I will still wait for a week or two to see (since there is nothing I can do at this point).

8 hours ago, otium said:

"Anyone else still on the waitlists currently?

I have only got waitlists at two schools this year. One sent an email which says that they will not make any additional offers before April 15 and they encourage me to consider reapplying, which I take it to be a rejection.

And the other (U of Alberta)  replied on April 15th that they were not yet done with PhD admission, but it does not look very likely that they will be able to offer me admission currently, and they will confirm the results at a later point.

I think this would probably also turn out to be a rejection. But I will still wait for a week or two to see (since there is nothing I can do at this point)."

In a normal year I would encourage you that even though the university encouraged you to reapply,  and undoubtedly this appears to be a rejection, there is still hope that someone drops their admissions acceptance at a later date [though rare, this does happen].  But given the coming deficits born of this pandemic [e.g. the California UC system anticipates a 35 billion deficit...I kid you not!], I would suspect that any funded candidate that drops out early would not be replaced on the principle of austerity.  I was on the waitlist for UC Davis.  I could be wrong, but I get the idea that Davis only had a few spots and did not pick from the waitlist, though I can only know this inductively.  According to a contact at Marquette, I am still on the waitlist there.  Nonetheless, I will be shocked if there is any funding available to me should they go down the list and make it to little ole me.  I've seen people picked off the waitlist in May, and rarely in June.  So, do not despair my friend  ?

Edited by PHILOKEV