2020 Waitlist Thread

Schrödinger's_Doge

1 hour ago, sisyphushappy said:

Has anyone seen any good advice on writing letters of continued interest? I got my waitlist decision a while back and didn’t realize that a letter would be a good idea. But probably better late than never!

When I received WL emails I just reply and say thank you for the consideration and that I'm still very much interested in the PhD program at University of My Dreams.

2 hours ago, malaphor said:

Me!

This may be a weird question but how "hard" is it to get into UBC masters? Like, I'm not sure whether or not to feel like I have accomplished something, haha

(Also, congrats & good luck!)

Edited by 711fanatic

1 hour ago, 711fanatic said:

This may be a weird question but how "hard" is it to get into UBC masters? Like, I'm not sure whether or not to feel like I have accomplished something, haha

I don't know how "hard" acceptance to UBC MA is or what you, personally, need to feel like you have accomplished something (whether thats a non-rejection from a competitive program or something else) but...you have accomplished something. You've continued through this godforsaken wasteland of a process despite academic, emotional, financial (et cetera) challenges. Feel good about that! And best of luck. 

6 minutes ago, malaphor said:

I don't know how "hard" acceptance to UBC MA is or what you, personally, need to feel like you have accomplished something (whether thats a non-rejection from a competitive program or something else) but...you have accomplished something. You've continued through this godforsaken wasteland of a process despite academic, emotional, financial (et cetera) challenges. Feel good about that! And best of luck. 

Awww, very true! Definitely needed to hear that :) 

Waitlisted at Pitt. Received an oddly personal email asking for my current level of interest in the program and floating the possibility that I attend the admitted student visitation at the end of the month. I say 'odd' only because I had assumed that a waitlist email would be more clinical, rather than warm and inviting. Perhaps this is normal, but it would take more willpower than I have to refrain from interpreting this as a sign that I am particularly high on that list; I will therefore ignore any comments on here to the contrary ?.

9 minutes ago, strongkleeneevalscheme said:

Waitlisted at Pitt. Received an oddly personal email asking for my current level of interest in the program and floating the possibility that I attend the admitted student visitation at the end of the month. I say 'odd' only because I had assumed that a waitlist email would be more clinical, rather than warm and inviting. Perhaps this is normal, but it would take more willpower than I have to refrain from interpreting this as a sign that I am particularly high on that list; I will therefore ignore any comments on here to the contrary ?.

I got a kick out of your comment on your listing about being appalled! Congrats :)  

9 hours ago, strongkleeneevalscheme said:

For whatever it’s worth, I had a similar experience of a very personal, warm waitlist email from Duquesne, because I was #1 on the waitlist (and because faculty at most Pittsburgh schools are lovely people).

23 hours ago, strongkleeneevalscheme said:

Unfortunately, it does sound like you're high on the list. ? Not sure whether this is the case at Pitt, but usually not all waitlistees are invited to campus visits unless they're reasonably high on the list. Hope it turns out well!

7 hours ago, strongkleeneevalscheme said:

does anyone know how a waitlist works? is it an actual list? is it sorted by AOI? is it in any way binding or is it merely a suggested ordering? 

Depends on the department; some have ranked lists, some sort by AOI, some have totally unranked lists and go back to look at all applicants whenever someone declines an offer. They'll usually tell you something about how it works if you ask (though sometimes not - then they'll just say something along the lines of 'it's really hard to tell at this point, I'll let you know when we have more info'), so it can be worth doing so if you really want to know.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2020 at 5:33 AM, strongkleeneevalscheme said:

On 2/26/2020 at 6:43 PM, Losebeforeapply said:

I am also waitlisted at Pitt. Don't know what my chances are. Fingers crossed.

Are you both waitlisted for the regular phil program or the HPS program??

Are there a lot of ppl here who got into SFU and will reject? On the wait list there and they said there will be movement in end of March/beginning of April.
I might have to make a decision before that and was wondering what my chances are. They say it's a short wait list, but that doesn't really say much.