is anyone only completing a skype interview rather than an in person interview?

psychapplicant2020

my current research position is outside of the US and I'm completing a chunk of my interviews entirely via skype due to costs/logistics/time I can take off of work - is anyone else in this situation applying to programs outside the country they're currently in? Do y'all have any tips on how I can try to make a connection with my PI/other faculty as well as grad students from my labs of interest. I've seem some other people post about preliminary skype interviews, but these are like the entire interview itself, so I'm nervous about how much it feels like is riding on this. 

Thank you!

I have to do this for one of my programs and feel like it's probably tanking my chances. I tried to visit another weekend, since I have a conflict, but they said the department would only pay for my trip if I came on the "official" visiting weekend. I offered to cover my own costs and the PI said she would feel bad making me pay and that I could connect with faculty and Grad students via Skype, which seemed like a bad sign. They are a really high ranked program and I got the sense that they aren't used to being the ones who are asked to move, so they were irked by my request. Oh well, what can you do? My other programs are much "lower" ranked but have been so much more inviting and supportive. I'd rather go somewhere I'm really valued and wanted.

I just had a formal skype interview for a program yesterday. It actually felt a lot more "real" than I was expecting, and I really felt like the people I interviewed with were taking it as seriously as they would if I had been there in-person. I tried to make it very clear to them beforehand that my inability to make it to their in-person date was not an indication of my interest in their program, and was only due to the fact that I had already confirmed an interview on the same date. 

I think the thing to really keep in mind during a skype interview is that, obviously, you won't get to visit the facilities and experience the surrounding area. I made sure to ask almost everyone I interviewed with about their experience in the area to try to get a good feel for how it might be living there.

Also - try to ask about where grad students are originally from. I've noticed from having several interviews that the student cohort at some places is almost entirely local, whereas other places there is a mix or almost everyone is from a completely different area. I think that speaks to how well the area is amenable to diverse backgrounds and how easy it is to adapt to an area if you're from far away. 

Good luck!

17 hours ago, psychapplicant2020 said:

my current research position is outside of the US and I'm completing a chunk of my interviews entirely via skype due to costs/logistics/time I can take off of work - is anyone else in this situation applying to programs outside the country they're currently in? Do y'all have any tips on how I can try to make a connection with my PI/other faculty as well as grad students from my labs of interest. I've seem some other people post about preliminary skype interviews, but these are like the entire interview itself, so I'm nervous about how much it feels like is riding on this. 

Thank you!

Hey there,

I am currently doing this (well applying to Canadian programs), but did Skype interviews for all. I connected with 2 POIs really well, and decided I wasn't a good fit with another, so they are as real as they get. It's not ideal, sure, but most programs understand. And I did manage to make real connections with people. If I had traveled for each that would have been insane financial and logistics wise.  

6 hours ago, PsychPhdBound said:

I have to do this for one of my programs and feel like it's probably tanking my chances. I tried to visit another weekend, since I have a conflict, but they said the department would only pay for my trip if I came on the "official" visiting weekend. I offered to cover my own costs and the PI said she would feel bad making me pay and that I could connect with faculty and Grad students via Skype, which seemed like a bad sign. They are a really high ranked program and I got the sense that they aren't used to being the ones who are asked to move, so they were irked by my request. Oh well, what can you do? My other programs are much "lower" ranked but have been so much more inviting and supportive. I'd rather go somewhere I'm really valued and wanted.

This program sounds quite inflexible. Only for "official" weekends? 

The PI might just be emphatic that it's a cost that you would have to cover (and other applicants get funding from the departments) - so they might be nice about this. 

I think you can connect with faculty and students via Skype. The advice above from yikespsych is really on point. See how they like it there, have then tell you about day-to-day things and see how diverse they are/ open to people from other places and not just locals. 

Good luck!

I'm in the US and I'm doing a Skype interview for a school here that's toward the bottom of my list. I still want to see what they have to say, and leave the option open, but it wasn't worth the travel expenditures for me personally. I think it's certainly beneficial to go to in-person interviews, but I don't think it will necessarily make or break you for every single one. I would expect them to be understanding of your circumstances. 

My experience is a little bit different since I'm here in the US, but I thought I'd share that you're not the only one and want to see the advice others give. :) 

On 1/27/2020 at 8:59 PM, psychapplicant2020 said:

Thank you!

I've done this twice now (they don't do onsite, probably because of location) and I was really happy I had to the opportunity to do this. It was a really great way to see if I hit it off with the PI's. You can only gauge so much from email exchanges and their research about their personality. I think it's a good way to see if you guys are on the same page research and personality wise. I've had several friends do formal interviews via skype instead of onsite because of location and they both got into their top schools. From what I gather, schools take these skype interviews as serious as onsite ones. So I wouldn't worry about it not being equivalent to being there in person! :)

Edited by psychpsychpsych

On 1/28/2020 at 6:27 AM, PsychPhdBound said:

I just completed a zoom interview today for one of my top three schools. They didn't really seem that bothered by it, though. I've met the professor I want to work with before, at a conference, and I made it super clear how excited I was about applying to the program at the conference. Long story ish, but I had started looking at the application for them before then, but I was probably not going to actually apply at that point. I wasn't sure it was a good fit, despite them being a great school, until after I met and talked about research and the program with him at the conference.

I was really bummed about not being able to go in person, and offered to come another time, too (it's only a few hours drive away). They did the same though, so I think the preference might be to do video emails if you can't make it to the interview day. I think it's easier on them, that way. It was a much shorter process than interview days- that's for sure! however, I think it went well, I guess I'll know in a bit.

On 2/7/2020 at 7:28 PM, PsyZei said:

I just completed a zoom interview today for one of my top three schools. They didn't really seem that bothered by it, though. I've met the professor I want to work with before, at a conference, and I made it super clear how excited I was about applying to the program at the conference. Long story ish, but I had started looking at the application for them before then, but I was probably not going to actually apply at that point. I wasn't sure it was a good fit, despite them being a great school, until after I met and talked about research and the program with him at the conference.

I was really bummed about not being able to go in person, and offered to come another time, too (it's only a few hours drive away). They did the same though, so I think the preference might be to do video emails if you can't make it to the interview day. I think it's easier on them, that way. It was a much shorter process than interview days- that's for sure! however, I think it went well, I guess I'll know in a bit.

Just wanted to update that I was offered admission, today, to the program I was talking about here. So I wouldn't assume it's tanking anyone's chances at getting into a program to do a video interview. I made sure to express that I was bummed I didn't get to come to interview day, but I didn't try to justify or explain why- just said that I had been disappointed I missed the interview day and was grateful they had made time to do a video interview with me.

I did two Skype interviews and two in person interviews. I think the "feel" of them was pretty similar as far as the actual interviews, but there are certainly drawbacks. You don't get the "feel" of the department, how faculty/grad student relations are, etc. Essentially, you miss out on the interpersonal aspect of interview weekend which is arguably a pretty big part. That being said, one of the programs I did a Skype interview for gave me an offer so it's not impossible to get one. I would say you just really have to use your Skype interview time to demonstrate your interpersonal skills as well as the goodness of your fit with their program.