SLP Declining Offers 2020

I just accepted an offer at UW-Milwaukee, and will decline my offer at Northwestern. This really stings, because Northwestern has been my dream school for a long time. I didn't get any scholarships and I just can't justify spending $120,000 on a two year master's program. I'm sure UWM will provide me with great experiences and externships, but I'm still super sad. 

Just declined Brooklyn College, Lehman College, and Teachers College, Columbia and I will be attending Queens College! I hope this helps someone out, they are all amazing programs and it was difficult to choose. ? ?

Just now, Kels1245 said:

Anyone who applied to Emerson- what were your stats? GPA, GRE.. experience?

I did and was accepted, but turned down the offer due to finances. My stats were: GRE- 305, GPA- 3.93, research, shadowing, leadership, and volunteer experiences

On 4/10/2020 at 11:19 AM, heyheyhey42 said:

I just accepted an offer at UW-Milwaukee, and will decline my offer at Northwestern. This really stings, because Northwestern has been my dream school for a long time. I didn't get any scholarships and I just can't justify spending $120,000 on a two year master's program. I'm sure UWM will provide me with great experiences and externships, but I'm still super sad. 

Hey, just wanted to jump in here in give you some encouragement. I went to Northwestern for undergrad. While it was a wonderful experience and I received a great education, it was absolutely not worth the debt I'm in now. You are making the right decision. You will still get to become an SLP. And if it's about location, you can always move to Chicago after graduating. :) I'm sure you'll love UW!

10 minutes ago, ab316 said:

Hey, just wanted to jump in here in give you some encouragement. I went to Northwestern for undergrad. While it was a wonderful experience and I received a great education, it was absolutely not worth the debt I'm in now. You are making the right decision. You will still get to become an SLP. And if it's about location, you can always move to Chicago after graduating. :) I'm sure you'll love UW!

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm happy that I won't have lots of debt, but mostly I was just hoping to experience a new setting for a couple years, and then return to Milwaukee (since that is where my family is from). So, as of now, it looks like I'm in Milwaukee for life. UW-Milwaukee seems like a great program, and I'm sure once I'm in it I'll find my place, but I feel like I still need time to mourn Northwestern. I really wanted the Big 10 school experience, since I'm finishing my bachelor's at UW-Madison (Wisconsin's state flagship), and I love it here. UW-Milwaukee has a lot to offer and I'm trying to stay positive and look forward.

Edited by heyheyhey42

I declined Northeastern and am going to decline JMU and probably Edinboro though they've been so welcoming it breaks my heart a little bit! They offered a partial tuition waiver and other things too so hopefully someone else benefits from that! Just need to sleep on it one more night ?

Have already declined my offers at Tennessee, Boston University, UCONN, and Penn State. Planning on declining Sacred Heart, Saint Mary's, Minnesota, UT Health, PITT, and Arkansas. Hopefully this helps out quite a few people!

I am currently deciding between Marquette and Michigan State, would love any input if you have it!