Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

I'm sad to have to start thinking about backup plans, but it's possible for me that it is that time (still holding some hope but it's not looking great- applying clinical phd). Currently I'm in a psychometrist position so getting great clinical experience, but I know that my lack of research experience is going to be what's holding me back. I really only have 2 years of undergrad research experience, and 2 on-campus poster presentations are all that came out of it (no pubs, prof wasn't interested in publishing those years, unfortunately for me, as he'd just gotten promoted to the chair of the dept so was otherwise occupied). After graduation, I interviewed for 1 RA position, but ultimately didn't get it as the funding fell through, and with the pandemic I didn't feel I could afford to be picky in turning down the psychometrist position, despite research being what I want to do. Especially with apps for next cycle already due in less than 11 months (panic!) I really need to start looking now...How do ya'll go about getting paid research positions/where do you look? 

I saw a bunch of people post about a rejection email from Arizona State on the results forum. I have yet to receive an interview invite but did not get said rejection email. What does this meeeeeeaaaaaaan?? Is my rejection email coming in a different batch? Am I waitlisted for an interview? Will I magically acquire an interview invite over the next few days? This is killing me ?

20 minutes ago, JCidel said:

I received an interview invite from Rutgers PsyD this afternoon. I received an email stating that the interview date is February 15th. I am not sure if they will be sending out more interview invites but I can share any information if anyone has any questions.

Was this a generic email? 

I know a lot of people were waiting on Rutgers. 

Congrats!

Just now, JCidel said:

Yes, it didn't say my name it just said that I made the "short list" for the GSAPP program and I am invited to interview on Feb. 15th.

Thanks for that information!

Did your portal get updated?

34 minutes ago, JCidel said:

I received an interview invite from Rutgers PsyD this afternoon. I received an email stating that the interview date is February 15th. I am not sure if they will be sending out more interview invites but I can share any information if anyone has any questions.

Congratulations!! Very jealous it was my first choice haha, but very happy for you! If you find out by any chance if they have extended all invites can you please let us know :)

2 minutes ago, PyschMama said:

Congratulations!! Very jealous it was my first choice haha, but very happy for you! If you find out by any chance if they have extended all invites can you please let us know :)

Thank you!! It was totally unexpected honestly lol but you absolutely got this! And if I find anything out I will let you know.

30 minutes ago, missmusical said:

I saw a bunch of people post about a rejection email from Arizona State on the results forum. I have yet to receive an interview invite but did not get said rejection email. What does this meeeeeeaaaaaaan?? Is my rejection email coming in a different batch? Am I waitlisted for an interview? Will I magically acquire an interview invite over the next few days? This is killing me ?

This is my situation right now too! I checked the portal and it says my application is under review. I’m so confused! I’m scared to check my email LOL! ?

Just now, kch16 said:

I got my rejection from Arizona State and my application status is still "Under Review". Just letting you guys know to look out for emails, but I hope you're still being considered for interviews! 

Yeah that’s what I figured was happening. Not really getting my hopes up ?

8 minutes ago, toopsychedout said:

Has anyone heard from the University of Kansas Clinical Child Psych PhD? I emailed them about the status of my application a few days ago and they have not gotten back to me. 

Apparently all first round invites have been sent out

21 hours ago, Psy-aye-aye said:

I have asked about these things, and Alliant has solid responses for most of them. Alliant’s students still have to work their butts off to get in and complete the program, and they get good clinical training. I’m open to input from other applicants, but coming from a current PsyD student your words kind of just feel like you think your program is superior, which it very well might be, but that’s not the attitude I’m looking for in someone I’m taking advice from. 

Sorry if there’s weird formatting, my phone isdisplaying this text box weirdly. 

I would just consider what happened to all of the Argosy University campus's. Here is an article on it: https://www.nationalregister.org/eo-desk-mar-2019/

I don't think that poster was trying to come off as rude, but just wants you to know and understand the risks. It can affect your ability to get hired in certain settings, especially if you don't get matched at an accredited internship (many for-profit programs do not have good relationships with accredited internship sites and often do not get priority-- this can affect a person's career). You can also look up the clinical/counseling psychology internship crisis to understand why it is so important to match with a reputable internship site. I think this is ultimately your own decision. You should attend whichever school you feel is right for you.

1 minute ago, clinical_sike said:

I would just consider what happened to all of the Argosy University campus's. Here is an article on it: https://www.nationalregister.org/eo-desk-mar-2019/

I don't think that poster was trying to come off as rude, but just wants you to know and understand the risks. It can affect your ability to get hired in certain settings, especially if you don't get matched at an accredited internship (many for-profit programs do not have good relationships with accredited internship sites and often do not get priority-- this can affect a person's career). You can also look up the clinical/counseling psychology internship crisis to understand why it is so important to match with a reputable internship site. I think this is ultimately your own decision. You should attend whichever school you feel is right for you.

Thank you, I’ll look at that. I’m definitely heavily considering reapplying next year if I don’t get in anywhere else. It’s just a hard decision to make. 

2 hours ago, PyschMama said:

I have noticed that a lot of people have rejected or assumed rejected for TC Counseling Psychology. Have people received formal notifications? If not, how are you coming to this conclusion? Thanks in advance!

Just now, aspiringgradstudent said:

I have noticed that a lot of people have rejected or assumed rejected for TC Counseling Psychology. Have people received formal notifications? If not, how are you coming to this conclusion? Thanks in advance!

I called them last week and they said that all interview invites have been extended at this time and no more invites will be extended. I never received an official email but the answer was pretty straight fwd so I marked my status as rejected. 

1 minute ago, PyschMama said:

I called them last week and they said that all interview invites have been extended at this time and no more invites will be extended. I never received an official email but the answer was pretty straight fwd so I marked my status as rejected. 

Got it. Thanks for letting me know!

34 minutes ago, clincpsych1010 said:

I see that some people are posting that they received a rejection via email from UCSD/SDSU JDP? Anyone on here receive that? Just curious whether it was personal or mass email. Thanks!

I reached out to the department and received an update on my application status. Good luck! 

"The Selection Committee has now evaluated all applications and have made all interview offers for Fall 2021 admission." 

1 hour ago, clincpsych1010 said:

I see that some people are posting that they received a rejection via email from UCSD/SDSU JDP? Anyone on here receive that? Just curious whether it was personal or mass email. Thanks!

I received a mass email. Super disappointed but I know this was a really tough year ?

Also worth noting that I had correspondence with the department last week and they said "Interview offers will be extended no later than by the end of next week (you will be notified either way)." 

Edited by radpsych03