Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

8 minutes ago, seahorse_671 said:

Along these lines, I had thought that the components of my application were pretty well-balanced and fairly strong, which has led me to wonder a lot lately (after receiving no invites at all this far), which part of my application sunk me? It’s been driving me nuts the past few days and I’d like to know what specifically prevented me from getting in (for my next round of apps). Naturally, I just assumed there was some part of my application that turned off the admissions committee. Now that I’m reading others’ posts though, I’m wondering if there is a possibility that nothing was actually wrong, but it is really just that competitive. Anyone have thoughts about this? Or how we can receive closure about why we were ultimately rejected?

I've heard if you have a solid connection with your PI at a certain program, definitely ask them what they think you can improve on for next time, What's the worst they could say, that they're too busy? I think its important to see an individual who wants to grow from "mistakes", or receive constructive criticism. 

8 minutes ago, seahorse_671 said:

Along these lines, I had thought that the components of my application were pretty well-balanced and fairly strong, which has led me to wonder a lot lately (after receiving no invites at all this far), which part of my application sunk me? It’s been driving me nuts the past few days and I’d like to know what specifically prevented me from getting in (for my next round of apps). Naturally, I just assumed there was some part of my application that turned off the admissions committee. Now that I’m reading others’ posts though, I’m wondering if there is a possibility that nothing was actually wrong, but it is really just that competitive. Anyone have thoughts about this? Or how we can receive closure about why we were ultimately rejected?

Clinical psych PhD programs accept about 12% of applicants. They are some of the most competitive grad programs to get into. Statistically, it is easier to get into med school. Many perfectly qualified candidates with great stats and fit don't get in. Unfortunately, there's some luck involved in the process. 

25 minutes ago, clinpsych2021 said:

Ah it's good to hear from you and I'm sorry you haven't heard back either. Btw, I also applied to Teachers College Columbia (clinical PhD) but I wouldn't assume it's a rejection! Their website says they will send out invites in Feb for their interviews in March. I really hope you get in somewhere!!! 

Oh wow I did not see that on the website. I assumed rejected because someone got an interview last week with the POI I applied to. You too!! 

4 hours ago, YouNeverKnow said:

I wrote to UW Madison's PhD program coordinator to know if all interviews took place on 01/15 and his response was:

"We did have a visiting day last Friday but it was not required that all faculty participate. That being said, I noticed you applied with [PI's name]. He normally receives somewhere around 150 applicants. I just want to be honest about the competitiveness of his lab."

I knew that it was a very competitive lab and that my chances were very low, and maybe he's giving me a hint that invites might have gone out already for this PI? Not sure what to think but I think I can cross this one out ?

@YouNeverKnow would you mind sharing the PI?

4 hours ago, Gavindorf said:

Edit: I'll add that the most annoying question I got was "Why don't you have any publications?" because what sort of answer could make you happy....like it's not my fault none of my undergrad PIs like to publish?

To neutralize any questions pertaining to “Why don’t you have X?”, tell them it’s a goal you’re actively working, describe any barriers you encountered (e.g., lack of publication opportunities for undergraduates in PI’s laboratory), and describe any recent plans or efforts to obtain that goal. 

4 hours ago, rainydaychai said:

"Why didn't you get into grad school last year" [this was on my second app cycle, interviewing for the same program a second time] ?

This question is basically gauging your ability to self-evaluate and your willingness to seek and integrate feedback. Interviewers basically want to hear that you sought feedback on your previous application and how you applied that feedback for this current application cycle.

5 minutes ago, JoePianist said:

To neutralize any questions pertaining to “Why don’t you have X?”, tell them it’s a goal you’re actively working, describe any barriers you encountered (e.g., lack of publication opportunities for undergraduates in PI’s laboratory), and describe any recent plans or efforts to obtain that goal.

On a similar note, have you noticed any particular trends in PI opinions on having/not having an honor's thesis? I didn't end up having the chance to do one myself, and I know most great applicants typically did one.

1 hour ago, tryingtostaypositive said:

Thank you for that, it's nice to not feel alone. 

Unfortunately, a lot of things are complicating my situations. Visa issues, long distance relationships and personal finances so this was probably my first and last try to apply for Clinical Psych. Prepped my whole undergrad for it (like everyone else here I am sure), today just feels dim...as if I let a lot of people down. I know I won't feel this in the morning but it seems almost cruel, commuted for hours to work at a lab where I did grunt work before I could get to write a paper, gave up many many many outings and opportunities to make good memories with friends all with the goal of getting into a clinical psych program. I am so appreciative of the sweet reply this prof gave me but it just makes me feel a little mad at the world cause it feels like I literally couldn't have done any more than I did hahah ok sorry. emo rant over. 

(Big Hugs) ? If I may provide any insight or advice as a fifth-year PhD Clinical Psychology student, you’re more than welcome to send me a message!

3 minutes ago, EileanDonan said:

On a similar note, have you noticed any particular trends in PI opinions on having/not having an honor's thesis? I didn't end up having the chance to do one myself, and I know most great applicants typically did one.

I haven’t been involved in the admissions process; but according to my own advisor who’s served on the admissions committee for UAB’s PhD Clinical Psychology program, admitted candidates typically have little-to-no research publications. In our program, it’s also common for admitted candidates to lack an honor’s (undergraduate) thesis or a master’s thesis. I, myself, didn’t have any research publications nor any thesis when I received my offer of admission.

1 hour ago, reidallen said:

I hope this isn’t a stupid question, but are programs required to inform you of rejections or should we just assume we got rejected as we near interview weeks? I’m too anxious to reach out to programs or wait this long to hear back :(

No, there’s no “requirement” for programs to notify applicants about rejections unfortunately. If a program does send a rejection letter, it’s typically sent in April. If you had submitted your applications in November or early-December and don’t receive any updates by the end of this month, it’s perfectly fine for you to email the program and politely ask for an update on your application. 

2 minutes ago, JoePianist said:

I haven’t been involved in the admissions process; but according to my own advisor who’s served on the admissions committee for UAB’s PhD Clinical Psychology program, admitted candidates typically have little-to-no research publications. In our program, it’s also common for admitted candidates to lack an honor’s (undergraduate) thesis or a master’s thesis. I, myself, didn’t have any research publications nor any thesis when I received my offer of admission.

Thanks, always nice to hear another data point that shows it isn't impossible. ?

6 hours ago, positivepsych51 said:

Has anyone heard from EB at the University of Illinois Chicago (UIC)? I saw some posts on GradCafe that people had gotten interview invites, but can't tell if they have all been sent out. 

Nothing yet! I already had my interview 

1 minute ago, PsychApplicant2 said:

Trolls. It happens every year. They’re the worst ??‍♀️

But like i literally dew knot understand why ppl waste their time to increase the anxiety of us hopeful hardworking applicants that r already having a hard time breathin ?

Just now, EileanDonan said:

This is such a weirdly specific area to troll. Like, don't you have enough Reddit subs for that?

It takes a special kind of crappy person to troll GRAD SCHOOL websites. Like, why get people’s hopes up and mess with emotions? This is such a stressful process already. I’ve just been really taking everything people say on the internet with a grain of salt these days.

Just now, PsychApplicant2 said:

It takes a special kind of crappy person to troll GRAD SCHOOL websites. Like, why get people’s hopes up and mess with emotions? This is such a stressful process already. I’ve just been really taking everything people say on the internet with a grain of salt these days.

I honestly never thought I would see people troll about this. This happened earlier with UCSD and I just assumed they meant to say prelim interview because sometimes PIs can be unclear. Now I feel stupid for falling for it :(

1 minute ago, clincal_j said:

Anyone heard from UC irvine?!

I haven't heard directly from them, but I saw a bunch of interview invites from them in late Dec/early Jan on the interview forum and I think their interview dates r coming up soon : / but then again not sure if they're planning on doing a second round or anything like that since this is their first year opening the clin psych program

Edited by plantgirl96

2 hours ago, clinpsych2021 said:

I similarly got rejected from Fordham, and I'm feeling so discouraged because I feel like this is an indicator that the rest of my applications that I'm waiting to hear back about will go in a similar direction. I did think I would get some interviews (I have 3 years research and clinical experience, 3 pubs (one first author), good GPA and LORs) but I haven't heard back from anyone so far re: interviews. I really don't mean to brag, I'm just feeling so confused and am wondering if these stats are simply not good enough, because I don't think there's a ton more than I can improve on. 

Hey there! I don't have too much consolation to offer- but I just wanted to throw it out there that it seems like we have pretty comparable experience and I really empathize with you (3 years post-grad research experience, 2 pubs with more in the works I've been working nights and weekends to achieve, yadda yadda, and yet no interview offers as of now). Academia can be so insulated, especially during COVID when we can't go out to distract ourselves, so I just wanted to throw it out there that you are not alone and the world is bigger than this! I've had tunnel vision working my ass off to an unhealthy degree for this and it totally sucks when it feels like the our labor isn't being recognized. It blows. Crying in bed with ice cream blows. But I hope you can recognize that it doesn't change that you are a great applicant who made a massive effort by putting yourself out there for the most competitive form of graduate school there is- and that drive + resilience will get you somewhere!

There are a few more schools I'm waiting on (1 of which I'm sort of hopeful about), but I'm going to try to spend the next few weeks reminding myself that academia is a very small portion of what is otherwise a meaningful life, and I hope you know that you have a friend out there in cyberspace who understands your struggle :)