MPH 2021 Canada

8 minutes ago, mphhhh said:

What have they said about the culture

What would you say is wrong with the culture?

Oh! There

s definitely nothing "wrong" with the culture. It really just depends on the kind of person you are. And, like I said, Grew up around it so my perception is going to be completely different than yours. 

That said, in MY PERSONAL experience, I'm a very outgoing person and a total extrovert. The parts of UofT culture that I have been exposed to give off kind of an elitist vibe. UofT is super competitive to get in (mostly for grad school) but all the undergrads (that I've been exposed to) seem to think that they are super special and better than everyone else for going to UofT. In Toronto itself, UofT students (that I know) look down on Ryerson and York students and suggest that they only picked those schools because they "couldn't get in" to UofT. I was SUPER judged by some peers at UofT for choosing McMaster (even though I also got into UofT and my program at Mac is just as good lol). The negative culture I've experienced revolves a lot around Undergrad Science students. So, I 100% realize that this is not the case for the whole school. 

Generally, I'd say UofT is known to have a cold atmosphere driven by elitism and competition. UofT's MPH programs are AMAZING from what I've heard. Again, this experience of the culture is based on my personal experience and likely does not reflect everyone else's experiences (though these opinions do tend to be those that are popular) 

1 minute ago, GingerDwight said:

Oh! There

s definitely nothing "wrong" with the culture. It really just depends on the kind of person you are. And, like I said, Grew up around it so my perception is going to be completely different than yours. 

That said, in MY PERSONAL experience, I'm a very outgoing person and a total extrovert. The parts of UofT culture that I have been exposed to give off kind of an elitist vibe. UofT is super competitive to get in (mostly for grad school) but all the undergrads (that I've been exposed to) seem to think that they are super special and better than everyone else for going to UofT. In Toronto itself, UofT students (that I know) look down on Ryerson and York students and suggest that they only picked those schools because they "couldn't get in" to UofT. I was SUPER judged by some peers at UofT for choosing McMaster (even though I also got into UofT and my program at Mac is just as good lol). The negative culture I've experienced revolves a lot around Undergrad Science students. So, I 100% realize that this is not the case for the whole school. 

Generally, I'd say UofT is known to have a cold atmosphere driven by elitism and competition. UofT's MPH programs are AMAZING from what I've heard. Again, this experience of the culture is based on my personal experience and likely does not reflect everyone else's experiences (though these opinions do tend to be those that are popular) 

UofT is definitely my top choice, BUT I totally agree ^

Just now, BoxingAndMPH said:

UofT is definitely my top choice, BUT I totally agree ^

Honestly, its only a couple years of your life! Personally, as an extrovert and someone who thrives on other people's positive energy (as silly as that sounds), I think that I would have a really hard time. BUT - that's just me. Many people know that the environment/culture has a 'reputation' and just decide to not give a crap cause elitism is stupid. 

Just because I don't think that I would have a good time doesn't mean that I think others won't :)

On 4/9/2021 at 9:50 AM, marieabc said:

Has anyone heard from UofA Health promo? I've been "under review" since the end of January

On 4/9/2021 at 10:11 AM, bms9 said:

I’ve been in pre-screening for health promotion since I submitted my application. 

I got my acceptance for Health Promo in mid-March. Did you have a supervisor selected before applying? 

On 4/9/2021 at 12:42 PM, elboujee said:

You can get the free trial of LinkedIn premium, and talk to current DLSPH students directly there. Premium allows you to search students and alumni based on specific school’s and programs (ex, UofT MPH Epi!). I’ve spoken to about 40 students and working professionals during my research of different MPH programs. It’s been incredibly helpful. Alternatively, the program director might be able to give you more info - especially if you’ve been accepted. They are paid to answer your questions :) 

Thank you!

4 hours ago, healthfan said:

I got my acceptance for Health Promo in mid-March. Did you have a supervisor selected before applying? 

1 hour ago, marieabc said:

no i did not

I didn’t either

On 4/7/2021 at 9:34 PM, AlChuck said:

I'm a bit of an atypical candidate.  Health care worker for 7+ years.  No research experience.  Not great GPA from undergrad (low 3s/4.0).  Got a diploma afterwards with 3.9/4.0, but I doubt they'll count that.  What are your stats?  

Hey, if you don’t mind sharing can you let me know where you got your diploma from and in what program?

7 hours ago, Aiza said:

Hey, if you don’t mind sharing can you let me know where you got your diploma from and in what program?

I wish to remain somewhat anonymous, but it's a diploma in diagnostic imaging from a technical institute in Alberta.

55 minutes ago, moon.ari said:

Does anyone have any guesses for when McMaster might give out acceptances to wait-listed people? has anyone gotten one from the wait list yet? 

I have not heard back yet, but deadlines passed for acceptances last week so hopefully this week!

Edited by Maha M

On 4/10/2021 at 1:02 PM, GingerDwight said:

Oh! There

^ Current MPH Epi student at UofT here, can't express how untrue this is at least for the MPH program. Upper years and previous students have consistently said their cohort was very tight knit and supportive. Idk much about the undergraduate experience at UofT but my graduate experience so far has been great despite having gotten to know my classmates online.